Author Topic: I am officially a postie!  (Read 7609 times)

Helga

I am officially a postie!
« on: July 16, 2009, 03:50:59 pm »
Just got back from Tufts after the successful removal of my critter on Tuesday. Unfortunately, lost all the hearing in my left ear, too entwined with the tumor to save the nerve, but everything else works so far. No facial issues, can walk on my own since this morning, didn't expect that and pretty darn happy about that. Obviously, tire easily, but that's what the cushy recliner and my wonderful sweetie are for. Pain managed with a couple Tylenol a day so far, thank you steroids!!! Surgery lasted about 3 1/2 to 4 hours all in all. Just wanted to check in, won't look again until tommorow or so, but hip hip hurray and have a great day/night.  :)
Helga

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: I am officially a postie!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:44:49 pm »
Way to go! Welcome to the Postie Land side ... Life does go on at this side too.

Sounds like you are making a good recovery ... glad to hear the facial nerve was not affected.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 06:02:19 pm »
Hi Helga,

I am glad to hear you are on the the other side and on your way to recovery. All the best.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:21:05 pm »
Helga .....

WOW, that is a quick discharge from the hospital ...... unless I missed something somewhere on your treatment type.  That is terrific that you are doing so well!  Keep up the good work.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:38:20 pm »
Awesome Helga! I love to read about experiences that go so well. It's always encouraging for the 'pre-posties'. Hope your recovery goes smoothly.
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:03:02 pm »
Woo hoo! Home in less than 48 hours, you may have to compare notes with Ernie to see who got home quickest. Great news!

Now enjoy your rest and naps, and take it easy for a while.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 05:54:52 am »
Helga, my bad! I thought you were having Gammaknife at Tufts... but.....

CONGRATS, CONGRATS, YOU POSTIE!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Please take it easy, get some rest and wellness wishes coming right atcha!

congrats!!!!!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 07:14:24 am »
Helga, you sound terrific!  I'm so glad you are doing well.  At the rate you are going, you are definitely going to give Ernie a run for his money on the recovery stories!  I suppose next you will be challenging Joebloggs and Stoneax to a surfing contest... :D

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

GRACE1

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 07:24:14 am »
Great to hear such wonderful news!  Congratulations!!

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 08:16:59 am »
Helga-
Wonderful news!!  Rest and heal and let yourself be pampered, if possible.  Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 01:20:04 pm »
Unfortunately, lost all the hearing in my left ear, too entwined with the tumor to save the nerve

Helga -

this was my experience, also.  All I can say is, please look into a BAHA when you're healed enough to give it some thought.  They are amazing!

Good to see you again as a postie! 

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Helga

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 06:59:12 am »
All I can say is, please look into a BAHA when you're healed enough to give it some thought.  They are amazing!

Thanks, Jan, I will start reseach on it shortly. Didn't won't to do it ahead of time, always that hope that some hearing would remain.

Yes, I am absolutely amazed by my recovery so far. Obviously the steroids are playing a big role with feeling as "up" right now. Went into surgery 9:30 am Tuesday, overnight in the ICU, Wednesday afternoon to regular room with very pleasant roomie, discharged from the hospital at 2 pm Thursday, slice of pizza on the way home on the Turnpike. In the ICU could just stand, but then walked the next morning on the unit, first on my sweetie's arm for one round, then by myself. Nice and slow, no sudden movements, voila. No dizziness, no funny head feeling. Didn't have to take any more Tylenol so far, feels like just incisional pain. Dr. Heilman did a suboccipital craniotomy, hoping he could save some hearing this way, but the incision is a little longer this way than I had hoped, goes a couple inches behind the ear down my neck, but the swelling is almost gone and I can move my head from side to side (sloowly) without much pain. Sleeping is going well, too, just a couple pillows and the recliner, although, days are easier than nights, but slept much better and in longer intervals last night. Took a nice walk around the yard yesterday enjoying the flowers. My stay at Tufts was excellent (maybe also because it was so short), the nursing staff super friendly and helpful, always smiling, couldn't have had a better experience from pre-op to discharge, everyting was very organized. Hey, what else do you expect frome the "Paul Pierce center for minimally invasive surgery", if he can bring the Celtics back, he can do anything! Dr. Heilman was phantastic about keeping my husband updated via phone and in person several times, from the OR and recovery room, I know this is not the place, maybe I'll write a blurb about him under "physcians", he is definitely worth considering if you are in the Boston area. By the way, Phyl, Gamma Knife with Dr. Wu was a brief consideration.
Of course, I expect a couple changes and set-backs, especially once off the steroids, but I think I'll do ok. If any newbies (haha, sounds funny, was one not long ago) or others are contemplating a decision, feel free to email me with questions. Of course, everyone and every tumor/recovery is different, but it definitely helped me to read as many different stories as possible for comparision.
Thanks to all of you for your support, no one else knows quite what it's like. You all made a huge difference in my life! :) :) :) - and summetrically!
Helga

Lilan

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 07:55:21 am »
Great news, congratulations!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

elliemae

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 03:23:19 pm »
Helga, you "sound" great!  Keep up the good work!
(Didn't know you could get pizza on the Pike! I'll have to check that out!  ::) )

Elaine

Joe B

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 04:37:35 pm »
Helga

Sounds great!  Glad to hear everything is going so well. Get out and enjoy that pleasant(cool) summer weather in New England. I was supposed to have gone up there in early June to visit family and friends and catch a red sox/yankees game(had already bought plane and game tickets), but the good lord had other plans for me (AN surgery June 4)  :-\.

Joe B
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD