Author Topic: Steppage Gait?  (Read 9378 times)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Steppage Gait?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 01:32:29 pm »
Tom,
  I agree with Chet, some of these things may be due to Cerebellum issues.  I believe that the Cerebellum is involved with processing of balance issues, including vestibular input ( or changing from having two vestibular systems to only one).  Balance issues may be a, hopefully temporary, effect of having a larger AN press on brain structures, or maybe having the Cerebellum retracted during surgery.
  My AN was smaller than yours, and the length of time in surgery was less.  I'm able to walk OK, although if I move my head around too fast while walking I seem to wobble a bit.  I can run, but it's really fairly unpleasent so far, internally it gives me a lurchy feeling since processing of moving visual data input seems to be slower.   
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

onebadass350bird

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 03:07:58 pm »
I'm not exactly sure that everyone understands what I'm talking about.  Everyone here seems to have balance issues in some form or another, some worse then others.  But what I was asking about is different.  Gait actually affects the way the small motor muscles move in the leg, and how quickly they respond and move. If you've seem someone that has had a mild to severe stroke, you've probably seen gait in the way they'll walk, but they will often not have balance issues.
17 hour Retrosigmoid on 10/19/05 for removal of 4cm AN

Battyp

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 03:42:22 pm »
Tom I know for me my walk is just as you described. I can walk fast on the treadmill holding on but have you to able to stimulate it on the sidewalk. Running or jogging is way out of the question.  I could do it before my surgery but not now.  Heck I went swimming the other day and could barefly haul myself out of the pool.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 07:28:05 pm »
Tom,
  I see what you're talking about.  Just after surgery my wife said my walk was different, but that has resolved.
  I would think that one's gait is a burned in "memory".  Your body has done it (walking) so many times that it's an ingrained thing.  Sort of like a musician learning how to do an E chord on their instrument, after a lot of practise they can do an E chord without having to think about it.
  With an AN our "feedback" systems, like the presure senses in our feet, or visual input about spacial location, can recieve different input than before. As far as gait, maybe our brain has to learn how to use the new input, or the long standing ingrained way of walking automatically (without much thought) is not working as before, and needs to be relearned.
Regards,
 Rob
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 07:49:52 pm »
All,
  Tom is already familar with the term steppage gait, but for the rest of us here's a definition.
A gait in which the foot is raised high to avoid catching a drooping foot and is then brought down suddenly in a flapping manner
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 08:06:09 pm »
Oh yeah--I know exactly what you are talking about--the wonky walk--sort of a two-step. Happened a lot at first, particularly on the left (AN) side.  Lots better now--only occurrs when I'm really stirred up like after riding in a car or when I get off the treadmill and navigate around all the equipment to my chair.

Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

onebadass350bird

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 09:01:24 pm »
Well I've been on the treadmill alot lately.  When I first got on in January, I could mantain 3.7mph while hanging on for dear life, lol.  Now I can do 4.1mph while still holding on.  My brother has told me that my left leg comes down a lot quieter now then when we first started going in Jan. so I think that is pretty positive.  I'll admit though, I should pay more attention to HOW I'm walking, and not as much as how fast.  For example, in order to make things easier, symetry is the key.  I do think I still pick my left foot up slightly higher then my right like mentioned in the definition,  now I guess that I need to try and relearn how to do it so well, like HeadCase mentioned, that I do it with out thinking about it, that's the goal.  And as far as the 4.1mph goes on the treadmill, I'm not a tall guy by any means, so 4.1 was about my max walk even before surgery.  So I guess the next step will be a slight jog.  Hopefully that will come by the beginning of the summer.

Battyp

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 10:24:35 pm »
Hmmm I'm only up to 2.3  LOL  I'm not allowed to hold on I get scolded!  While walking that fast I also have to practice my head turns.  If I concentrate real hard I can have a normal gait while out walking without assistance but if I  don't stay focused I walk real  funny.  They keep telling me to walk quietly on the treadmill..problem is it sounds quiet to me due to the hearing thing.  So I practice my ninja walk  LOL 

How are you walking slow on the treadmill?  It's actually harder to do than fast.  It is suppose to retrain your balance better?

onebadass350bird

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 11:19:45 pm »

How are you walking slow on the treadmill?  It's actually harder to do than fast.  It is suppose to retrain your balance better?

Hmmmm...funny that you mention that.  I do remember it being it easier to walk faster then slower.  Does it kinda feel like you have a better stride going when walking faster?  Maybe we should slow down a bit and focus on just WALKING normally, lol.  Back to the basics for us huh? 

Battyp

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2006, 03:50:21 am »
I spent months walking slow...I still start out slow and gradually build myself up to a faster gait.  My goal at pt now is to lose weight while still maintaining.  So while I walk fast i practice my head turns.  I'm doing more weight training than therapy right now.  My choice...or they are at least letting me think that it's my choice  LOL

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2006, 08:22:59 am »
I know I must be luckier than many of the rest and really don't have a lot of stories yet to tell, however, I can already walk better fast than slow.  My dear wife calls it "controlled falling!"  Sort of like a toddler trying to run across the room.  I just don't have a padded bottom to fall on...(well, maybe I do have a big padded bottom but thats another story"
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

DeniseSmith

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2006, 12:48:22 pm »
Tom,

I have the same problem with my gait as you do. My left leg when I am tired is very out of wack when I walk.   I have been doing the treadmill, but have yet to find the courage to let go.  Everyweek i am increasing my speed alittle and also my time, but after i start getting tired. I know my left leg is funky, not sure how to explain in writing what happens. My BF says he can tell when I am getting tired by the way I walk.

After my initial surgery, i was unable to control my left side at all. My arm would move around on its own if I lifted it above my heart, kind of funny,  it took me a while before I could get my left leg to work at all.

I also kick a soccer ball around with my BF or my son, I alternate using each leg.  I run like Phoebe on Friends, it isn't pretty, but I try.

Denise

thecakes

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2006, 07:24:57 pm »
   Its been3 1/2 years since tommy left and I am now just starting to  be able to look around a little at different things when I walk.  I used to concetrate so much on every step I took and it took some of the fun  out of walking, not being able to look at others as you pass by.  I still walk slow.  Can't run. Its hard to walk in the dark.  I ride a three wheel bike.        [that looks real cool}

Angela

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 05:44:55 pm »
Yep!  Now that it's stopped raining here, I took out some pretty shoes that I hadn't work since last spring/summer;  I was appalled by the damage on the left toe!  I remember that my left foot would drag alot and I had to think about placing each step.  Definitely, both feet flapped to the ground and didn't alternate naturally or as they did pre-op.

My 4cm "Timmy" was on the right side but I read someone who had same-side walking issues.  Also, it took several weeks for my right arm to swing when I walked.  It was almost like I could only concentrate on 1 moving body part at a time.  Getting off and on the treadmill was an adventure.  Walking, while gripping the handles, was slow and I couldn't read at the same time.

I walk ok now but can't navigate as quickly or as well, but that may be more of a balance issue.  For instance, if there's hunk-of-poo on the sidewalk and I try to side-step it or hop over it, then I might not make it!

I'm now 15m post-op.  Walking has been going well so I got ambitious and tried running!  It felt GREAT!  I tried not to think about it too much and just let my body do it's thing.  Pre-op, I ran 3 miles per day and I intend to get there again.

Your difficulties with walking will resolve themselves with lots of practice and time to for your brain to compensate.

ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)