Author Topic: pain on AN side  (Read 8486 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: pain on AN side
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 07:04:49 pm »
Hey sunshine, my sunshine! :)

Funny, I get "pressure" on my AN side, which is the side I sleep on.... I have purchased "memory foam" pillows that form to my funky head shape but seems to be helping... IMO *giggles*, a thought if you don't already have?

xoxoxoxo
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 08:45:49 pm »
I like my memory foam pillow..provides neck support too!

sunshine16

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 09:10:28 pm »
is it really good?  I have just the regular.  I should get one for me....thanks PPearl & Battyprincess...!

Battyp

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 06:56:13 am »
Myla I have disc problems in my neck which why I got it originally.  I took it to the hospital with me which helped considerably as it supports your neck which as we all know after surgery can really be aggravated. Mine is the one that says it's suppose to keep you from snoring.  It has the dip in the middle.  I have a regular one too which is still comfortable and soft but does not have as much neck support.  I know here you can catch them on sale for half off at Belk's.  I'm not sure who else carries them but know other stores do just haven't paid attention since I got mine.

luv2teachsped

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 06:59:35 pm »
I too have a memory pillow and a mattress topper.   Did I mention I hate to get out of bed in the morning!!! luv2teach
p.s. What am I doing wrong, I can't seem to get the little faces to print anymore??
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2006, 07:42:17 pm »
Sunshine,

For several months after my surgery I could not sleep or lay on the left side of my face because it didn't even feel like it was my own. Now I can. Still not perfect but much, much better. I think these are problems that just take a long time to go away. Give it some more time. My surgery was Sept 21, 2005.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

sunshine16

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 10:12:52 am »
hi Paul, 

you're 2 months ahead of me. 

Raydean

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 03:14:23 pm »
Regarding AN side neck pain.  After my surgeries I found it impossible to sleep  in our bed.
After a couple of hours at most I'd be back in my recliner due to the pain.  This went on for most of the past 8 years.  We recently purchased a new mattress set, on the firmer side  and much to my surprise I've haven't experienced the pain that I had before, I am to sleep the whole night thru comfortably without the neck pain.

It might be worth checking out your mattress. It might not be giving you the support you need.

Best to all
Chet
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 01:33:28 pm »
Hi, sunshine,

I don't have any pain when i sleep on my left side, AN side, but i do end up with a small headache.  it does feel wierd when i lay on my left side, so I just don't do it, at least not consciously.

Denise

Static

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 08:14:10 pm »
I'd have to agree with everyone!  I used to sleep only on my right side (an side) but after surgery I couldn't.  Did the recliner thing for awhile but then got used to laying on the left side but found that I couldn't lay and watch tv or talk to anyone because I couldn't freakin hear anything!  Anyway, that not hearing when sleeping on your ear can be good and bad.  I don't hear anything so I don't wake easily but I also many times have missed my alarm making the mornings with kids and school and me going to work a mad rush!  Now the puppy usually wakes me by 5:00 but I still try and set my alarm.  I did finally come to terms with sleeping on the an side but it doesn't feel the same and I can't stay that way for long.   So after all my life of sleeping on that side, I've had to change my sleeping side which was weird at first, but now I just snuggle in and enjoy some silence (tinnitus is less when there is less noise around).  I also have a memory foam pillow, it's a nova form or something like that and it's the best!  Good luck everyone to all the adjustments but you will finally come to terms, but it takes time and from what I've found, is forever changing!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

sunshine16

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2006, 08:28:46 pm »
Hi Static,

I noticed that it's been a little over two years since you had the surgery.  Is your recovery came pretty easy for you?  You now taking care of kids and working?  All that pressure?  Wow.  I hope I can do that also.

terracotta

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 06:12:13 pm »
Hi Myla!
Hope your pain problem is improving. I have trouble with chronic pain on my operated side as well. I've had 4 cranial surgeries and am also trying to figure out why I have this pain problem. The differential diagnosis keeps changing. Seems my physicians are running out of gas and pushing me towards accepting the post op sequelae and steering me to towards "moving on." This may be the right thing to do but first I'm off to get a second opinon. Frankly I'm worried about having a BAHA abutement implanted while I continue to deal with pain in the mastoid area.

At any rate, in regards to sleeping on the affected side. I too like using a memory foam pillow. Also, sometimes I elevate my torso about 30 degrees when I sleep on my right side. Less pressure it seems. For me, tenderness around the surgical site while sleeping proved to be a symptom of an insidiuos serious complication. After my experience, I'm committed (not neurotic) more than ever to listening to what my body is saying even when really great doctors aren't catching on. In other words, I do not second guess myself.     

sunshine16

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 07:43:39 pm »
good for you terracotta.  It's always the best move to get a second opinion. 

the pain on my AN side is going away, I tried not to sleep on my AN side, haven't got the chance to get a memory foam pillow for me :-) ...  but now, I'm dealing w/ headaches to only half of my head w/c you would guess, my AN side (Left).  It was so painful that I cried and it helps and still dealilng w/ earache on my good ear, throat hurts,  AN side eye is irritated, fatigue,....never ending....  and having to deal w/ the SSD process...grrrrrrrrr  have to meet w/ a mental health doctor next week required by SSD.

I just hope I won't be too sick to go...