Author Topic: How soon do side effects of CK treatment begin after treatment?  (Read 1748 times)

Tumbleweed

Hi, everyone:

I'm trying to time my CK treatment so that it doesn't interfere with an extremely important business trip in late July. I know that any side effects of CyberKnife treatment (caused by tumor swelling) have a lag effect; that is, the onset of potential side effects such as dizziness and tinnitus isn't immediate and may take weeks or, more often, several months to develop. Waiting til after my trip to get treated is likely not workable. I must be treated soon, as my tumor is growing atypically fast.

I'd love to hear from everyone who had CK treatment as to how they felt in the first few weeks after treatment (able to work ? any increased symptoms?) and how soon after treatment, if ever, they had the onset of symptoms due to their tumor swelling.

Many thanks,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

goinbatty

Re: How soon do side effects of CK treatment begin after treatment?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 10:06:56 am »
I'm 5 months out and doing fine.  My tumor was fairly small so I don't know if my experience would be considered typical.  For the first few weeks, I seemed to be more tired than usual and intermittently after that and who knows if that's pertaining to CK or just life in general.  Hearing was tested around 3 mo post CK and mildly reduced on the low end of normal.  Tinnitis got a little worse but there again, it may have been that I was paying more attention to it.  For the most part, I ignore it.  I didn't experience dizziness before CK but I would guess within 2 months or so, I noticed intermittent clumsiness.  Not dizziness though.  Within the past few days, I've noticed occasional twinges, for lack of a better term, of lightheadedness.  The episodes are brief and not associated with activity/movement/etc.  Not sure what's up with that but taking Ibuprofen to hopefully reduce swelling if that's what going on.  I understand your concern.  Before I was treated, we planned a vacation which is coming up in a few weeks.  I'm hoping whatever is going in my head will decide to vacation elsewhere.
Take care,
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change