Author Topic: 2 weeks out of surgery  (Read 6037 times)

Katierose

2 weeks out of surgery
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:58:35 am »
This is my first post to the forum.  I had surgery on the 16th June for my medium sized AN.  They got the whole tumor  and my experience with Providence Park Hospital could not have been better.  Thought I was all that and then some as I was out of the hospital in 4 days.  Only the second time in 30 years for Dr Kartush.  No dizziness no spinning and my balance is really good.  Apparantly I have been compensating for that for some time now.  However....I am sooooo tired and my head aches and the only thing I can eat is watermelon.  Thank goodness it is the season for it!  Everything else taste like tinfoil! My husband has been just great through this whole thing.  Helping me shower, washing my hair, watchng me like a hawk.  My problem right now is major depression.  I just want to cry all the time.  I know everyone is different
Is it just me? 

cin605

Re: 2 weeks out of surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 11:47:36 am »
Are you taking steroids?Some times that will cause it...all so you have just been through a very traumatic time and your body is healing and the anestia is wearing off..are you taking pain medsThat also plays a factor?Rest your body...The body and brain needs time to adjust to all that has taken place.Force your self to eat a grilled chees of something solid as not eating will also cause signs of depression.HUGS!
Cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 03:39:56 pm »
Hi, Katierose ~

Congratulations on a successful AN surgery - and thanks for posting!  Your taste issues are not uncommon to post-op AN patients and usually resolve, in time.  You're lucky to have a caring, supportive spouse.  Sadly, not every AN patient does.  Fortunately, I did, so I understand how grateful you are.  I'm sorry you have to deal with depression, which is tough and certainly not unknown to AN patients.  As Cindy posted (#2), you've been through major surgery and need time to re-adjust to 'the new you'.   The depression should lift as you heal and recover from surgery.  Eating healthy and getting some exercise can help (just walking is beneficial) and if nothing else works, there are prescription medications available for depression.  Of course, you have your online support group right here!  We hope you'll consider us family - and 'stop by', often.  Thanks.     

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:50:31 pm »
Wow!  I was also having watermelon like crazy, that and shakes with fruit and yogurt, put some protein powder, it will give you energy.  Sleep a lot and continue with the watermelon, it has lots of antioxidants which will help you get rid of the anesthesia that is still in your system. 

Life is good and it will get better for you!

Katierose

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 07:35:18 pm »
Thanks all.  This really does help.  I know I need time to heal, I guess if I had not hopped right out of the hospital I would not have expected to bounce back quicker than I am.  I do hope the taste buds return soon, as much as I like watermelon my body is craving more than that.  I did try a grilled cheese it sounded good.  Even though it did not taste so good, I ate it anyway.
Will be trying smoothies tomorrow.
Night all.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 08:02:38 am »
Hi Katierose .....

Hope food soon tastes good to you.  It took me several weeks before things tasted normal again.  Mine was that everything tasted salty and/or spicy ..... could not distinguish individual flavors.

I am 7 weeks post-op now and all is back to normal.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 01:18:24 pm »
Hi Katierose,  I had my surgery there too but had Dr. Zappia (and Dr. Pieper).  Great hospital, etc.  I assume you too are from MI?  ;)  I'm up in Ludington.   Love MEI!!

Someone else asked if you were on steroids?  Those are crazy with the body & hormones, etc.   Plus since you are only 2 weeks post op, the anesthesia, etc. and just plain a MAJOR surgery can cause some depression feelings too.    The 'taste' issue should wear off eventually.

This forum is GREAT and please ask any questions or vent if you need to!!!  Everyone here understands the situations you may be in more than most (because we have dealt with it, or know others on there that have)  So, feel comfortable  ;)

What type of surgery did you have?    Did you have much hearing loss before surgery or after surgery?  For some, like myself, I didn't have much hearing loss  before my surgery, but I lost the hearing completely from the tumor.  So after I dealt with some depression due to that too (I did suffer mild depression before surgery anyways).

Wishing you the BEST on a healthy & good recovery!   Feel free to message me if want anytime!!

Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 07:06:10 pm »
Hello.....glad you are on the otherside of surgery.  I am 4 weeks post op and finally this week I am feeling more human and in control.  The past few weeks, I didn't appreciate that my tumor was gone but I do now and I have been depressed as well but have to say things seem brighter this week so keep putting one foot in front of the other because it does get better but you know you should let the Dr. know if it gets too much.   I too have no taste, I can taste cold, salt and some things I taste a bit through smell like peanut butter but that is about it everything else taste burnt, bitter or just so dam strange..why bother, hoping that will come back.  Sounds like your husband has been wonderful, that was so helpful to me as well.  Hope each day gets brighter for you.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Silver Sonnet

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 12:38:48 am »
Hi, Katierose!  (Love that name :)  Welcome to the forums; people here are great!

I can't say much since my surgery is still about 5 days away, but I know that even after my gall bladder surgery (old style with big incisions), I was nowhere close to healed and ready to run by two weeks out.

Take your time.  Realize you've been through a major trauma both physically and psychologically, and you'll need time to recover on both levels.

TELL YOUR DOC YOU ARE DEPRESSED!  He can help you decide if the depression is slowing your recovery.  Perhaps he'll give you something for it for a short time to get you back on track. or maybe he'll suggest something else, but keep him in the loop.  Eat, even if it doesn't taste great, but listen to your body, too.  Don't force in food that your body doesn't want.  Generally, our bodies (not necessarily our mouths!) want what they need.

And please keep us posted.  With my surgery fast approaching, I'll be following your recovery with interest.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 02:34:26 am »
Hiya Katierose!!! Welcome to posie land!! I know this all is quite something to experience.  I think most people who are independent and used to doing things on their own (as in most adults!) don't relish giving up so much control and feeling useless.  You are gonna go through a wide range of emotions but know that these will be temporary.  A good point about those steroids, they do mess you up, both sleep wise and emotions.  So just sit back and let the hubby pamper you and listen to your body. If you need to sleep, do it! :)  Take care and please let us know how you are doing as time goes on!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

cameragal

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 12:16:32 pm »
Hi Katie.  I had surgery on the 17th, one day after you.  I'm not glad to hear you are tired 2 weeks later, but it did help me when I read it.  I came out of the hospital in 2 days and felt great.  So two weeks later to be so weak and tired began to worry me.  You are lucky indeed to have someone to care for you.  Take this time to allow others to do for you what you always have done for them.  Take time to heal and be well.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 11:52:51 am »
Depression and AN surgery is very common.

I found that my depression was related to the fact that my surgery left me SSD.  The day my insurance company approved my BAHA implant surgery it was like a black cloud lifted and the sun came out again.

Don't hesitate to do whatever will help with your depression.  If you need to go to therapy or even take anti-depressants (under a doctor's orders, of course) then do it.  You've been through a lot - mentally and physically.  Take care of yourself.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

bri-82

• You gotta be kidding ...
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 01:11:22 pm »
Hi Katie-  Welcome to the forum. Overall, a 4 day hospital stay and complete resection of the tumor is quite a result. Depression and fatigue are common. You're only 2 weeks post-op so give your brain some time to straighten up and try not to be hard on yourself. Take things slow and be patient with your convalescence. In time fatigue will vanish and depression can be easily managed with medication or therapy.

I hope your taste improves quickly. Everything tasting like tin foil.... bleeaaah.
4.5 cm Right AN.
Sub-occip. Surgery 2011 @ Wash. Hosp. Center
Gamma Knife 2012 @ Wash. Hosp. Center
Translabrythine Surgery 2017 @ Johns Hopkins
Cyber Knife 2022 @ Johns Hopkins
Sub-occip. Surgery 2023 @ Johns Hopkins

Katierose

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 09:28:45 am »
Thank you all for your wonderful and uplifting responses.  I am now 4 weeks out and doing better.  Depression has lifted.  I am still pooped most of the time and nap often.  My metal mouth is just as it was but after reading and reading it could come back tomorrow or it could be next year.  In the meantime I have dropped 25 pounds!  Which for me is a blessing.  I guess somthing good has to come of this.  My dear hubby continues to amaze me with his thoughfulness and conern. 
Thanks all again for your kind words and thoughts.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 07:35:57 pm »
Glad you are doing better, you sound so much better.  My taste has come back a little, it is not so bitter or metally........or maybe I am used to it.  I have returned to work 4 hours a day for a few weeks, I really needed to get more normal, was getting so down at home.  My job is very easy and at this time my coworkers are keeping it low stress so I am glad I did it.  Good luck to you
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!