Author Topic: Shakin' all over  (Read 4882 times)

LADavid

Re: Shakin' all over
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 10:46:06 am »
Hey All

Thanks for thinking of me.  Everything is fine.  I have a storage closet in disarray that I will be dealing with today -- but other than a few books knocked off the shelf and a few pictures knocked off the wall, this are OK.  The problem with an earthquake is that immediately after it happens, you know you survived -- but you don't know about family members.  It took me a good half hour to get through to my daughter to find out that she rode it out well.  The most amazing thing about a quake is the incredible power it has -- big enough to make skyscrapers sway.  For those of you who have been through one, Rob, Kate and Jan, you know what I'm talking about.  Now comes the nervewracking part -- the aftershocks.

I haven't heard from Kathleen, but I do hope that she didn't get too rattled by it.

And Anne Marie, yes Shakin All Over was a 50's 60's hit.  I don't remember who originally recorded it but I have a great version by the Who.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

LADavid

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 11:14:23 am »
Got an email from Kathleen.  She thought it was her nerves shaking yesterday.  She's fine now and other than a little concern for aftershocks, she is ready for her surgery this afternoon.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 06:56:42 pm »
David -

thanks for the update on Kathleen.

Good to know also that your daughter came through the quake okay.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 07:29:46 pm »
The biggest earthquake in the US was along the Mississippi, near St. Louis I believe.  In the 1800s I believe.  So Illinois isn't as weird as it might seem.
California girl Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 07:50:19 pm »
Hi Dana,
Yes you are right in that Illinois is near the New Madrid Fault and there was a whopper of an earthquake in the early 1800's and 1900's.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states/events/1811-1812.php

It was the first in my lifetime that I remember:-)

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Lainie181818

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 10:41:17 pm »
" Shakin all over " was first recorded by " Johny Kidd and the pirates, and then Led Zeppelin. God I am feeling old. I live in LA and didn't even feel the earthquake. Maybe that is a good side effect of AN dizziness, or not.
Lainie

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 10:55:40 pm »
David,

Glad you're ok after that earthquake. It did more damage than I imagined a quake that size would. The Northridge quake, that was a biggie. I felt that one all the way north in Stockton.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 12:30:52 pm »

Fortunately for Kathleen tomorrow, these big ones are so rare that the chance of another one hitting tomorrow (odds-wise) is miniscule.

David

Kind of like getting an AN?  ;) ;D

We had the Spring Break Quake up here some years back (about 1990 ish) and we lived in a house with a small in-ground swimming pool in back.  I woke up to the shaking and got out of bed and looked outside and the water in our pool was sloshing so much it splashed out of the pool!  Then I felt the effects of the big earthquake in Seattle a few years ago.  I could hear it coming and though it was a low flying helicopter or something, and then the windows started rattling, and the dishes clinked, the light over the table swayed back and forth for 10 minutes afterward, I think!  It was scary!  And I live in Vancouver, a hundred and some odd miles away.  The media always likes to inform us, that we in the Pacific Northwest, are going to be getting the "Big One" also.  So we can sing, "Shake, Rattle and Roll" along with the other song, I guess. 

Sue in Vancouver USA

PS
Thanks for the link to the New Madrid Quake.  Very interesting.  Wow, I hope nothing that big ever happens again to the midwest.  That would be truly devastating.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:45:22 pm by Sue »
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 02:32:31 pm »
David, et al. -

I'm glad to learn that all of the west coast folks are O.K. following the earthquake. 

I knew (from the news reports) that there were no fatalities but one still has concerns for those possibly in harms way. I lived in unglamorous North Hollywood in the mid 1970's and never experienced an earthquake but also realized that it could happen at any time.  Because earthquakes are a natural phenomena, their unpredictability and potential for devastation weighs on one's mind.  However, this also tends to put the petty things in one's life in somewhat sharper perspective, which is not a bad thing.  Free philosophy.  Worth what you paid for it.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 04:07:11 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 02:34:02 pm »
We had a slight shake here in Denver about 10 or so years ago.  Can't imagine going through a "real" earthquake.  I've noticed lately that a lot of people from CA have moved here to CO.  We love you CA people, but we don't want you to take over our state.  Of course, that is what people said when I moved here from AL.  I am glad to hear all of you made it through the "shake".  Let's hope you don't get a blizzard this winter! 

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs