Author Topic: My Loving Dog  (Read 6176 times)

Trackman

My Loving Dog
« on: May 12, 2008, 08:24:20 am »
We have a sixteen year old cockapoo. He is my wife’s lapdog, pays little attention to me except when I am eating AND when we go to bed. The last five or six years when we go to bed (he sleeps between me and my wife) he would kiss me continually on my left ear. When I would move he would stop, starting only again when he could kiss my left ear. This would go on nightly. I didn’t think anything of it, until I returned home after my surgery (3/4/08). He wanted to start again, on the exact spot of my surgery, the same place as before.  Did he know something 5 or 6 years ago?  STRANGE BUT TRUE.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: My Loving Dog
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:30:47 am »
Wow - that is kind of eerie, isn't it? However, there are some dogs who can "sniff" cancer, so I don't know why this would be different.  Kinda cool to have a canine "nurse" isn't it?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:41:58 am »
even more eerie ... its not the first time I've heard of this!  :o  :o  :o  :o .. I forget where I've seen it tho ....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:14:55 am »
Kind of freaky, but also cool  8)

They say animals can sense things and I believe it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Melissa778

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:13:29 am »
I think my Kodiak senses something is coming up with "momma", he seems to follow me more now and always wants to be near me and lately is very cooperative, which is exceptional considering he is a 1 year old 90lb chocolate lab.  He likes to sleep next to me and lays his head on my pillow on the AN side....he never sleeps on the other side??  He's always watching me when I go down the stairs as if to make sure I make it.....with my veritgo I am not good with stairs....couple broken toes a month or so ago.....I fall down them alot....I do feel they sense these things, it amazes me.

Melissa.....Kodiak's momma.....counting down the days, 3 more to go......
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 11:17:46 am »
Miss Queenie Beanie, the healing "toot" Queen (my Pug, whom many here know) can always tell when I feel like ugh or knows when I'm under the weather.  She typically is not a huge cuddler (hates to be picked up), but when my head or other aching body parts bring me down, she nuzzles right up to me and won't move.  She's a constant by my side on my ecchhhh days.

they are certainly intuitive..... no question about it.
Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 03:04:51 pm »
I don't currently own a dog (no room, no time) but my father owned a beautiful, pedigreed Boxer he exhibited in shows, including the big AKC show at Madison Square garden.  'Luke' was our family pet.  My dad was also a volunteer dog obedience trainer and I often assisted him.  So, I grew up with a very special dog and learned to love dogs.  Still do.  To this day, I relate very well to almost any dog I encounter.  That dogs can sense an owner's mood is fairly well-established.  That they may somehow intuit an acoustic neuroma is well within the sphere of reason.  Dogs survive on instincts, fantastic hearing and olfactory abilities.  That a dog may 'sense' something 'wrong' on their owners body - even an acoustic neuroma - is not at all unimaginable.  I can accept the possibility, based on the circumstantial evidence presented.

Jim
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:06:48 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 04:03:49 pm »
  I remember seeing some TV story about training dogs to diagnose certain types of cancer by smell.  And they sure know how to read the subliminal signs of their owners. 
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Mary 117

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 04:17:07 pm »
I saw a really cool show on dogs that can tell when an epilipsy seizure is coming on. It's amazing and it really works. These dogs have allowed kids to go to school that previously were unable because of class distruption. THe dogs go lay their heads on the child usually about 20 minutes before a seizure. Now the teachers can anticipate, get the children their medicine and keep the seizures from happening.

Dogs are amazing. I know my stubborn, snorting, and snuggle pug keeps me smiling and happy all day long.

Mary
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

lori67

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 04:57:18 pm »
I am a dog lover too, but I think the only thing my dogs can sense is when it's time for dinner.  I always seem to get the least intelligent, but most lovable one of the litter for some reason.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 05:09:20 pm »
I go along with this. And have no doubt they can spot problems or deviations from the norm. Dogs are rather uncanny.

i have two small dogs - a maltese cross (boy)  and a sh...zu cross (girl). lqately, the girl dog has been licking the mouth of the boy dog rather prefusely. We decided to have a closer inspection and yep, there was a sore under his bottom lip - small but nonetheless there. we 'repaired' it and the licking has ceased.

Quite incredible really.

Laz.
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 01:02:44 am »
Lori, you made me laugh.  I agree dogs can have a keen sense of what is wrong with someone.  I agree, also, that some are dumb!  Lovable and sweet, but dumb!  Just like people. ;D ;D ;)

Again, I highly recommend reading Marley and Me by John Grogan.  All you dog lovers will really enjoy it.  Even if you aren't a dog lover, you will enjoy it.  They have something like this in that book, also.

Have a good weekend,

Sue in Vancouver, WA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 04:07:12 pm »
Wow...thats interesting!
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 05:13:23 pm »
I wonder if all of you know who Headcase has in the picture.  That's Jack Elam, a wonderful character actor who had a long career.  I saw him in many a western.  He was good as the evil bad guy and good as the loveable curmudgeon.  One of the great character actors of movies and television.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 01:42:33 pm »
Hi,

I now realize one of my standard poodles has been telling me something is wrong. She had started licking me a lot and staying close all the time. She sits by me and sleeps near my head during any naps I take. She has been acting sadder. She always has been the more emotionally aware one, but she started doing this quite awhile before I even knew I had an AN or that ANs were even in existence. I have seen the tv shows showing dogs diagnosing problems and it actually crossed my mind, "could she be trying to tell me something about my health?"

The other dog is a clown so she just wags her tail and wants to play or eat. She is a snugglebug also (both think they should be lap dogs. But she is constant entertainment and provides lots of smiles.

Love all animals,

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK