Author Topic: Western Washinton/Oregon Nov. 17th get together Please read  (Read 9695 times)

Raydean

Western Washinton/Oregon Nov. 17th get together Please read
« on: October 12, 2007, 02:58:30 pm »
November 17th at 2:00 pm is the day and time.  I've narrowed it down to two possible Restaurants.
The Olympia area has many really good places to eat, but I tried to keep it close to I-5, a place with close ample parking, willing to work with us and not put us in a meeting room at an additional hourly rate.  Both of these restaurants are on the North side of Olympia, with an exit of each other, both right off the freeway and easy to find.

The 2 final choices are  The Ram, and The Rock Restaurants. 
The Ram has a fireside room that is semi private where we could be seated to reduce surrounding noise. But it is semi private and there would be carryover noise.  On the plus side this is a slower time of day so noise would be less.  The menu is varied, in fact you can check it out at www.theram.com  Lacey, Washington would be the site we're considering
A minus here is that the most  a table could seat would be 8 people.  So we couldn't sit as a group at one long table.  I was told by the manager that this would not be possible.
I got the feeling that they'd like us to keep the total length of time at around 90 minutes. 

The Rock Wood Fired Pizza

Again this restaurant has ample parkin, probably be a little less expensive then The Ram, They are willing to reduce in level the backround music and will arrange tables to suit our needs.  I was most impressed with them from the start as they were very interested in working with us.  They have a long table that would sit all of us and are willing to arrange other tables to suit us.  The menu is pizza, sandwiches, salads.  The website address is www.therockwfp.com  I think this would be alittle more casual and I didn't get the feeling that we'd be on a time limit.  It really sounds like a casual, but fun place.

I think Kathleen (Gennysmom) has been to both places and I'm hoping she'll chime in here with her reviews.

So please post as to how many might be comming on the 17th of Nov. @ 2:00PM and if you have a preference in restaurants.

I look forward to meeting all of you

Hugs
Raydean

PS  Before going on her cruise i spoke to Dana regarding the above choices and both were fine with her.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: Western Washinton/Oregon Nov. 17th get together Please read
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 03:19:39 pm »
Oh, fabulous, you even asked the Rock about turning down the background noise!  Very cool. 

that was my only worry about the Rock, although we are between normal meal times, so I'm sure that will help.  I'd much prefer the Rock, it's my favorite pizza place, and they also have sandwiches, burgers, calzones, salads and a FABULOUS hot artichoke dip.  Ram is just OK to me, would do in a pinch, but obviously the Rock in my experience has much better customer service.  While I don't live by that one, I have been to it 3 times and there's a ton of parking next to it (don't park in front where the theater is) and it seems to be a little quieter than the ones near me.  Haven't been to the Ram there, but they're all the same...noisy and you can't move the tables around like you can at the Rock.  Their pizza is thin and wood fired, and the red sauce is pretty much crushed tomatoes of the best flavor. 

Now I'm going to have to go there for dinner tonight, my mouth is watering! 

I'm in, you know that...will be there with mom the chauffer!!!!

Hope to see lots of people there!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

marg

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 06:28:28 pm »
I'll be there..... either place is fine with me.  Just want to spend time with my AN family  ;D    2 p.m. is a great time.... should be less people there at that time.

Margaret 
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 10:26:04 pm »
I vote Rock Wood Fired Pizza - based entirely on what others are saying, I've never been there. Nov. 17th 2:00 pm works for me, I will be there. Any other Portland or Vancouver residents up for it?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 04:14:10 pm »
I think a more relaxed place and one's that more willing to work with us sounds better ...aka The Rock .... don't you think?  Keep sending you' all's feedback, especially if you have a strong opinion.  Thanks so much, Raydean, for doing all the research on this, and just let us know sometime in next 3-4 days which you've confirmed.  I can get online a little, but it's expensive here on the cruise ship, so I really appreciate your follow through.

It feels pretty "Star Wars" to be online while floating across the Pacific (DEFINITELY the better ocean !!!  we SWALLOW the Atlantic on that score!), looking out the window as the waves go by.  I'm so lucky to be able to take a cruise.

Can't wait til November 17th.  I'll check in again soon.  Hey, my hubby had an idea - that we should have a "contest" amongst ourselves to name our group..... start thinking......

Hugs,
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 12:23:08 pm »
If any of you were wondering, I really did go to my Rock on Friday and it was durn tasty!   :D   See what you did!!!!!!!

Raydean

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 03:43:11 pm »
Ok the list of attendees so far includes

Gennysmom  Kathleen and Carol

Marg            Margaret

sgerrard        Steve

Dana            Dana and Hubby

Room for lots more!!!!

I am hoping that others in the Portland, Vancouver,  SW Washington and Greater Seattle area can attend.  Maybe some car pools can be arranged to assist with the transportation issues.    I can tell you that theres something special about  being in a room with other ANer's.  it's hard to put into words.  but there's an immediate connection, a bond.  Without a word being spoken you know that these people understand.  It's really a great opportunity to meet others, share some stories, laughter and good food with friends.  Hope to see you all there!!

Hugs
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 04:26:14 pm »
Nan's out of town right now, and I just talked to Bethany, and I think they're both in too. 

rezski

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 12:32:49 pm »
I should be able to be there with my husband (Caroline and Chris).  I have no ski patrol duties that day and it will be my 1st free Saturday in a while.
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW

rezski

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 01:40:37 pm »
The no Ski Patrol duties has changed - I have to be somewhere else on the 17th.  I wish I could have made it.

Caroline
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW

marg

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 10:54:16 pm »
Oh rats Caroline    :(  !    I will miss meeting you .  Maybe another time.
Margaret
Marg 
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

marg

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 05:46:19 pm »
I'm really looking forward to the get together....  (maybe it's because I will be mostly through  parent/teacher conferences by then   :D )
Margaret
Marg 

matti

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 07:38:51 pm »
marg - I flew up (from CA) to the Seattle brunch last year and had an amazing time meeting and chatting with my AN family. We had a very special visitor from the land down under ;D the one and only Laz (larry). 

Have a wonderful time!!!

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 07:55:26 pm »
Dont know if I can make it. I will try my best.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Mark H

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 08:09:31 pm »
I'll be working next Saturday, this is my weekend off. I hope y'all have a great time, and one of these times I might make it.  ;D
Mark