Author Topic: Headaches after radiation treatment  (Read 13496 times)

Ric

Headaches after radiation treatment
« on: April 17, 2008, 12:41:37 pm »
Hello,  I have been experiencing mild headaches quite frequently in the last 2 months.  I had CK treatment on a AN of about 1 cm, 7 months ago.  I have noticed the headaches getting more frequent and more intense.  Yestday had a big one.  They seem to be all around the top of my head.  The mild ones are almost like headaches you get when you detox off of caffine dull and last all day or for a few days.  I was able to sleep last night but as soon and I woke up within 20 minutes it was back.  I am just wondering if other people have had headaches after radiation.  I realize mine are not near the calibur of other people who had surgery, but am wondering if this is the beginning of something worse to come.  Thanks for your input. 
Ricki

jb

• My MRI sequence:
Re: Headaches after radiation treatment
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 02:27:08 pm »
Ric,
I had CK 8 months ago for 2 cm AN.  I've had problems with headaches also, due to a lot of swelling that showed up on my follow-up MRI.  Just wondering if you had a follow-up MRI yet?  I was put on the steroid Decadron for the swelling and it cleared up my headache within a couple of days.  Lots of not-so-great side effects, but no headaches anymore.
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

Ric

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 05:24:44 pm »
JB, Yes I had my follow up MRI, but they did not see any change one way or the other.  The doctor told me to take advil for the headaches.  Ric

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 06:41:11 pm »
Hi Ric,

I had minimal headaches immediately post CK for my 1cm AN.... intermittent... some were doozies... some were exceptionally tolerable. We know that, with forms of radio-treatment on AN's (or, overall head radiation for any forms of ailments), headaches can occur, esp. in the first 1yr (give or take). Ibuprofen (as you are now doing) will help with any swelling and help knock out the headache. Be careful with it tho'.... can tend to eat up a stomach. 

Hang in there and hope you are feeling better soon.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 12:25:01 pm »
And, when I was treated for migraines many years ago, the doc said frequent use of OTC meds like Tylenol and Advil can cause rebound headaches.  Nancy   
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

JudyT

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:46:54 pm »
I am 4 years out from CK and experience headaches.....intense frequently.....have tried soooooo many remedies. I have now been referred to a pain clinic for pain management......not sure about this but going to try it....who knows? I am on Vicodin three times per day on bad days.....others get by on 1/2 am & pm......nevertheless it is almost everpresent, like the imbalance. I am 69, a widow, live alone......don't care If I get addicted......I need and want to do stuff.....however I can get to that place. I want a quality of life not quantity. I want to plant for Spring in the garden, paint in my studio, play my piano, cook great food, laugh with my grandchildren, dance with my sons, watch good movies, read good books and so much more........If it takes meds to get me there......it's fine with me! I feel deeply for those who suffer this malady and daily HOPE for answers......especially for the young people that come to this site for them. It is the most comfort that I can find......it is a VERY special place to come to when all else fails......you are all here.........GOD BLESS each and every one of you that posts and/or read the loving sharing and honesty that transpires and inspires to keep on .........keeping on!

Judy

Tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 01:13:30 am »
Except for a stabbing pain that would briefly occur on my AN side shortly following CK (I think this only happened over the course of several days, with each incident lasting only about one second), no headaches for me. Thankfully. I guess I'm lucky on that count.

Best wishes,
TW

P.S. As an alternative to traditional anti-inflammatories, try Flavenzym or Wobenzym (same formula for each, just different brand names). These are natural systemic enzymes that purportedly also boost the immune system. They work for me.
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08