Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 7716 times)

tbaxter1

Re: Newbie here
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 01:02:25 pm »
has anyone heard of dr.howard chandler or dr. john goddard out of baptist hospital in jax,fl?10 more days untill my surgry!I am going in 2 this  with a positive state of mind.I trust in god!!!!!!!so thanks 2 all who have helped with ur advice......About how long is the adverage hospital stay?Are most people put on a pain pump or do the nurses give u shots 4 pain?thanks,Tracy

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 01:21:16 pm »
Tracy ~

I don't live anywhere near Florida so I can't help with information on the doctors you asked about but I can attempt to answer your other questions.  The average hospital stay for AN surgery - with no real complications - is five days.  That can vary more or less but you asked for the average.  There can be some pain but you shouldn't need a pain pump or injections.  The most common issue is nausea and that can be controlled by medication.  Fatigue is also very common and rest is the antidote.  Your positive state of mind will be a big help, Tracy and of course, you'll be in the prayers of many so stay strong and positive!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 03:24:06 pm »
Hi Tracy .....

Unless you have unusual circumstances, as Jim said, you should not need a pain pump or injections.  I have had three brain surgeries and never had a pain pump or injections.  Any pain needs were handled nicely through the IV or with oral medications.

Try to relax as much as you can before going into surgery (I know that is not always an easy thing to do!).  Do some fun and distracting things with your family and/or friends between now and the day of your surgery.  It will help you stay relaxed and the time will go much faster.

Many, many thoughts and prayers for peace and calm.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 04:09:46 pm »
Tracy, I have had 4 surgeries due to 3 tumors and NF2.     Ones pain tolerance does vary but I mayself have never had much pain.       I had an IM shot once and that was due to having my back hurt from laying on my side too much since couldn't lay on the AN side and was in the middle of the night.      Otherwise has always been oral.      The neck may hurt from not moving during the surgery and do take pain med and try heat or cold on that.          I know there have been some with pain due to the unusual length or issues with their surgery.          You will have times of just feeling crappy and not well and take a pain pill then too as that can help that.          taking stronger meds for several days for a reason will not cause addiction or problems.     Occ some pills just don't work for a person and you may have to try another.  Take them with food also as some can bother the GI system.             You also have to watch as some pills have the narcotic and tylenol in with them so don't take Tylenol on the side too and take over 2400 mg every 24 hrs of Tylenol.             Do make sure take pain med or nausea med before it gets too bad so is harder to help reduce the pain or nausea.          I was never too nauseated after first day but just no appetite.                  I wish you well with surgery!                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care