Author Topic: Cape Cod Bay Challenge  (Read 5964 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« on: June 30, 2009, 09:14:06 pm »
Friends,

I'm very pleased to announce the 2nd Annual Cape Cod Bay Challenge Event. On August 15th, 2009 a small group of standup paddlesurfers will attempt a grueling 30 mile marathon paddle from Plymouth to Provincetown. All proceeds from the event will benefit Christopher’s Haven, a 501-c3 non-profit dedicated to helping kids and their families while they are undergoing cancer treatment. Standup paddlers from as far as Hawaii, Oregon, California, Illinois and the UK are coming out to show their support and every paddler has trained for months in preparation for this unique event.
http://www.christophershaven.org/

Massachusetts General Hospital is one of the few places in the world to have a proton beam accelerator for use in the treatment of tumors with highly targeted radiation. Kids from around the country and world come here for treatment. One thing that doesn't get covered by insurance is the cost a family incurs for living expenses while their child is treated (typically a 6-8 week stay). Boston is an expensive city to get a hotel room in. The haven is a short walk from MGH and allows up to 6 families at a time to stay in a comfortable homelike atmosphere helping to relieve some of the strain from a very difficult time. Christopher’s Haven is a home for kids when cancer hits home.

My friend and co-founder Mike and I both have been touched by cancer in our families and share a deep concern for kids causes so when we heard of Christopher's Haven and what it does for kids we knew it was the right charity for us for the future.  Mike had suggested that we do something for a cause with a personal connection...he was speaking of my health issues. I'm not sure we could have found a better connection. I underwent treatment at MGH with the proton beam for a brain tumor in 2004. It was a short conversation in a waiting room with a very brave 9 year old boy who obviously had much more to be scared of than I did that made me vow never to feel sorry for myself again. Standup made my life close to normal again......and that young boys words helped me be stronger mentally. We're very happy to turn the proceeds of this event towards helping kids like that boy.

I had to wait a bit to write this letter. I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to paddle this year. In a twist of irony I’m one of the very few for whom the proton beam did not work. I found out about three months ago that my tumor was growing again. June 17th I had surgery to remove it….fast forward. Things are going very well. Great recovery, a few bumps still to work out but I fully expect to participate in the CCBC. A scar that looks like a great white had my head in his mouth should be good for some stories.

Please help us show these kids and their parents a little hope as they struggle through a tough time. For some of these kids MGH is their final chance. Access to a great hospital with extraordinarilly skilled doctors and nurses coupled with the right attitude, and a comfortable place to recover with family and friends near can make all the difference.

Thanks for reading this, I hope you feel it’s a cause worthy of a donation.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org/Donations/donations.html

Best Regards,
Bob
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:16:06 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Kaybo

Re: Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 06:33:10 am »
Great words and a great cause, Bob!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

texsooner

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 07:08:13 am »
Way to go Bob....good for you on your determination to get out there for the paddling event so soon after your surgery. Great cause too.

Patrick 
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 06:52:58 pm »
Bob

thank you for sharing this with us and I know doing CC Bay isn't easy...... so, wishing everyone that participates a good day (and calm seas...)... and for a very worthwhile cause.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Keri

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 12:14:26 pm »
Hi Bob,
This is a great cause - very worthy of support. The story of you meeting the 9 year old and how that changed you is really moving.

How are you doing and how is your training going? Please put the Bay Challenge on the AN calendar. We will all want to wish you well (and since I'm the one doing the weekly updates now, I don't want to forget when the date is!) 

I don't know how much time paddling you've been able to work back up to, but I hope all that is going well. Any interesting sightings lately?

Thanks again for sharing this and I hope it is very successful in raising money to support Christopher's Haven.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 07:07:42 pm »
Thanks for reminding me Keri.

Hope to begin water training again early next week. I've been focused on normal activities and some light indoor workouts. Lots of walks outdoors and some on the treadmill. No unusual sightings except the flock of wild turkeys in my backyard... ;D
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 10:09:50 pm »
Hope to begin water training again early next week.

Very positive news, Bob  ;D

Please keep us updated on how the training goes.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 12:22:25 pm »
Anyone interested in downloading the poster for the 2009 CCBC you can do so at:
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org/Donations/donations.html

Not as slick as last years but not too shabby if I do say so myself... ;D

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 12:15:54 pm »
12 mile training paddle this morning...I'm pooped.... ;D

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 01:11:02 pm »
I bet you are! :) Nice job and a terrific day here for it! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 01:16:51 pm »
12 mile paddle!  Bet that felt good!

WOO HOO!!!   ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 09:56:45 pm »
I'm headed out for some decent  (hopefully) waves tomorrow. Still small by previous standards but I'm really anxious to test my balance a bit. I'm going to put a non-stick dressing over my eye and then duct tape for protection in case of a fall....that should attract some stares.

We're doing well on the fundraising for the event. Already $3,000 raised with only 3 of the 25 paddlers reporting...we set a minimum fundraising requirement of $300 per paddler. I'm hoping we reach $20,000

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 11:10:29 pm »
Very happy to report that we had an amazing day on Saturday. Almost perfect weather, everyone made it. A great party after and most of all....we blew away our fundraising expectations. We were hoping for $20K but would have been happy with $15K in this economy....we are going to be well north of $25,000 before we are done...maybe even $30,000...still have to do the official count and have donations still coming in.....folks were amazingly generous and all our paddlers worked hard not only training but getting donations as well.

Thanks to all for your well wishes and donations.

suboo73

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 05:44:17 am »
AWESOME, BOB!  Congrats to all!

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Keri

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 11:33:45 am »
That's great, Bob! How are you doing? You'll have quite the story when you paddle it next time around.

I'm so glad you surpassed your fundraising goals and raised so much money!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!