Author Topic: Oliver Sack's special on PBS tonight  (Read 2119 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Oliver Sack's special on PBS tonight
« on: June 30, 2009, 04:14:43 pm »
This is very late notice, but Nova on PBS is airing a program called "Musical Minds" at 8:00 p.m. EST tonight, June 30th.  It is based on Oliver Sack's book "Musicophilia," which details case studies of music and the brain.  I have read about 2/3 of the book and as a musician, can relate to much of it.  If you have any interest or affinity for how the brain processes music, the book is excellent ..... and hopefully this special program will be as well.

Because I have experienced changes in the way I perceive music since my AN surgery, it will be interesting to see if any others of you can relate.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Keri

Re: Oliver Sack's special on PBS tonight
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:27:13 pm »
Hi Clarice,
I walked in my house at 8:30 and everyone was watching this, so I joined in. I'm a musician too. Boy, I never want to do anything to whack my frontal lobe! Even though I saw only part of it, it was very interesting with some very cool MRI shots! I enjoyed the story of the autistic jazz musician - my daughter is autistic and LOVES music but doesn't play.

Anyway, how do you feel you process music differently now? I guess with me, it's all just in the hearing. I can still hear it very detailed in my head if I'm not actually listening to it.

Thanks for the heads up - I hope some others saw it too.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 07:57:45 pm »
Hi Keri .....

Glad you caught part of the program.  It was not quite what I thought it was going to be ..... but interesting, nonetheless.

Before surgery I had 80% hearing in my AN ear (left), 100% in my good ear ..... after surgery I have 20% in my AN ear.  The second day after surgery my neurosurgeon picked up the phone in my room and held it to my good ear and said, "Can you hear the dial tone?" ..... well,  ::) of course I could.  Then he held it up to my AN ear and asked the same question.  He was so overjoyed when I said "Yes," that I did not have the energy to tell him "Yes, but it is very soft and about 1/4 tone flat!"  I think my brain has gradually adjusted somewhat to it now but at first everything was perpetually out of tune and I did not want to play the piano or sing or even listen to music at first.

Also, I had perfect pitch before the surgery and I no longer do.  That part is a mixed bag now.

I think you are going to be in Chicago, aren't you?  If so, I'd love to have a chance to chat about our experiences with music.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

MissMolly

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 07:22:07 am »
Thanks for posting this.  I did see it (recorded it actually).  I've always been a big fan of Oliver Sacks. 

Miss Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

Keri

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 05:19:45 pm »
Hi Clarice,
Wish I could go to the symposium. We do need to have a talk about music though, one of these days!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!