Author Topic: Bad day and worried - need a cyberhug  (Read 4859 times)

kenneth_k

Bad day and worried - need a cyberhug
« on: June 16, 2009, 01:05:26 pm »
Hello everyone.

I was at a meeting today and someone told a joke at my expense. Many laughed, and I said I didn't hear the joke. I was told I wasn't supposed to hear it.
Ouch!!! This SSD thing was suddenly overwhelming.

Maybe I'm also a bit sensitive. In two weeks I'm going to have my balance tested. If I flunk, my carreer as a solider is on hold. No more promotions because I'm not suitable for combat operations. If it's only the hearing, then I might be able to deploy into low risk operations and still have some sort of a carreer.

Well, a cyberhug would come in handy. My wife is sweet and tried to make me see the humour in it all, but sometimes she just doesn't understand. Who can blame her.

Best regards, Kenneth

epodjn

Re: Bad day and worried - need a cyberhug
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:12:25 pm »
Cyberhugs on the way. My son is a soldier and I know what it means to have your career in question. It is devestating to think about. And totally out of your control.
That is horrible that someone would tell a joke at your expense. It's hard enough to deal with this stuff and find the positive and humorous without that. Just know that we are all out here and we do know how you feel. I know what you mean about spouses. Mine is the greatest. He is so sweet and really tries to understand and never complains but. . . .he just doesn't understand. . .and in ways I'm so glad. I for sure woudn't wish this on him. We know that things could always be worse and we have much to be thankful for but some days are just hard. Hang in there.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 03:18:44 pm »
Kenneth .....

A big Cyberhug to you!!  Only those of us who have walked in your shoes can possibly know the deep hurt when someone takes any of our issues lightly!  Keep your head up and know that they are the ones with major issues ..... of lack of sensitivity!

I wish you the best on your balance test.  Try doing some of the vestibular exercises on a regular basis between now and then ..... it really does help!  There are many more out there on the web, but here is one link:  http://www.goldbaum.net/balance/Vestibular_Exercises.html

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 03:24:43 pm »
Cyber hugs from Massachusetts too! They say children can be cruel…well I say adults are the cruelest. They are supposed to know better! >:(

I also work with a couple of people who like to make fun of others with disabilities. Long before I had my AN, I would hear them making fun of a guy who had hearing problems... right to his face too! I told them they were jerks, but that didn’t stop them. I have no illusions that they won’t do the same to me when I go back. Needless to say my opinion of them is not good, but the way I look at it is, they have a much bigger problem than I do!!

Chin up!! We’re in this together!

Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 03:55:52 pm »
Kenneth:

A manly cyberhug to you - and my empathy on learning that some fool made a 'hearing joke' at your expense - and others found that amusing - and laughed.  How stupid and insensitive.  Where are the 'PC Police' when you need them?  ;)

Like many others, I wish you great success on your balance test.  Whatever happens, don't allow circumstances to control your life - or your attitude  - for too long. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 04:02:21 pm »
I can't say what I really think because I would probably have the AN police on me!  ;) Even though I did retain a lot of my hearing in my AN ear, I went for about 2 months with it full of fluid and no hearing in it so I can relate.

They're just jerks. Sending good thoughts and the cyberhug your way. Having your career be on the line is SO STRESSFUL. Hang in there, do your exercises and think positive.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 04:21:15 pm »
Kenneth,

I can relate...I was active duty Air Force when my AN was found...and I worked on helicopters.  I had 18 years in and I thought that I might get forced out...they actually started a medical board on me but since my AN didn't cause further damage (after GK treatment) they stopped my medical board.  I do have reduced hearing in my left ear and also have a HUGE balance loss in that ear, but the other side soon compensated.  I really only notice it when I'm really tired or if I run on a tread mill.

I actually retired at 23 years, 7 months...and so many days  :)  so there is hope!  As for the joke...well you know how it is in the military...there's stupidity in numbers!!  I'd suggest talking to the originator of the joke off line.  I worked with the Army in a joint service assignment for almost 9 years...

If you'd like to email me we can chat away from the board...I'm going on vacation and won't be back until Sunday...
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 07:19:12 pm »
I'll cyberhold them while you cyberhit them. The fact that you still want to serve while dealing with the issues that surround your AN proves your more of a man than the idiot that makes jokes about people that can't hear them. Sounds like the bullies I used to make apologize to the kids they had just been picking on. There is a line between a harmless and a hurtfull joke...some folks just don't get it. When it goes too far...they need to be made to understand....in one way or another.

BTW...thanks for your service.

Bob
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 07:23:02 pm »
Kenneth -

I don't think you're being oversensitive at all.  I think your "buddies" were being very unsensitve and down-right rude  :o

Being SSD is somewhat akin to being disabled, which makes me wonder if they'd make fun of a blind person just because that person couldn't see them doing it.

I like Bob's idea - so if you need additional help cyberholding your "buddies", let me know.

Hugs to you,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 08:54:46 pm »
Pretty lame.  :P

I get a little grief from my co-worker, who occasionally likes to mouth words at me without making a sound. It is done in good fun, but it is not exactly hilarious.

I do hope they don't ding you for a balance issue. Having your AN change your career plans for you is not supposed to be part of the package.

So, a cyber-raspberry for the meeting members, and a cyber-hug for you.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:32:13 pm »
I'm not a human resource director, but I play one on internet forums.

Excuse me, isn't this behavior considered workplace harassment?

I'm happy to send you some cyber support, Kenneth, but what I really want to do is knock some heads together.

And give a knuckle sandwich to your ever-so-clever co-worker, Steve.

I thought we all left the third grade a while back.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

kenneth_k

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 09:52:37 pm »
Thank you very much guys, you are the best ;)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 10:05:37 pm »
I've been in your shoes Kenneth.  So sorry it has happened to you.  I agree with Sara, it workplace harassment. 

Lots of hugs from Ontario Canada,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Keri

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 10:25:28 pm »
Hi Kenneth,
Wow, i read that and (like Bob said) wanted to give them a cyber beating up!

I have an autistic 19 yr old daughter, and, throughout the years, she's done some pretty embarrassing things in public (I love her to death... I'm not trying to be negative about her). I know she does get made fun of at times, and that hurts (probably me much more than her). But for a few that do make fun, there are many more who are understanding, and helpful, and supportive, etc etc. SO, on the one hand, I am mad at the jerks who would do this to you, but I'll bet there are many, many more who respect you, admire you and think you've come through a lot - plus also very much appreciate what you do by serving in the military.  I do hope th
at all is well with your test and career -  I hope that all works out for you. Thank you for sharing with us.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

suboo73

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 04:34:32 am »
There is a line between a harmless and a hurtfull joke...some folks just don't get it. When it goes too far...they need to be made to understand....in one way or another.

BTW...thanks for your service.  Bob

Kenneth,  Here's another cyberhug!
So sorry those around you have to be so insensitive.
GM mentioned another great line 'stupidity in numbers!'
Sounds like some of your coworkers have some things to learn.

I hope your day is going well and your balance test is successful. 
I believe you will meet ALL of the challenges in your career - you are WAY ahead of those other folks!   ;)

Take care and THANK YOU, TOO, for your service.  We appreciate it VERY MUCH.

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W