Author Topic: OOOOPS!! They changed my date!  (Read 2105 times)

Lynn Mc

OOOOPS!! They changed my date!
« on: December 24, 2009, 04:23:12 am »
Happy Holidays to all.  Got a call yesterday from Dr. Barkers office, they changed my date from the 20th to the 22nd of January.   I know it is only 2 days BUT!!  I can rationalize that it is only 2 days - 48 hours - 2,880 minutes  but it seems to have set my nerves on edge.  (Nancy - Millie screwed up booking this!  She is out of the office again!)  I really can't wait to get this over.   

I get out of work at noon today, it is to cold & icy to ride my horse (Cheyne) so I think I will take my lab (Axel) for a walk to clear this scattered brain.  They are also great listeners.

Happy Holidays,  Thinking of you all,

Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

suboo73

Re: OOOOPS!! They changed my date!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 06:28:50 am »
Hi Lynn,

And Happy Holidays to you, too!

So sorry they have changed your surgery date - i would be counting the minutes, too...
Maybe you should try to plan one more 'special' relaxing event for yourself - a great movie, a nice massage, or whatever keeps you busy.
Me - i would probably be cleaning out every closet in the house, just thinking i have to have everything 'done' - but this would not really be relaxing!

I don't have a horse, but i definitely enjoy walking my part-lab dog, miss Lili.  Otherwise known as Lili Hazelnut Raspberry.
[She has a light brown stripe down her back and likes to eat raspberries off the plants, thorns and all!]
Lili is our god-send thru my daughter's serious car accident, 9/11, and other not so great moments.

Stay strong and keep posting - we are here to listen!

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 06:34:53 am »
Hi Lynn,

Happy holidays to you too. I wanted to wish you good luck on your surgery and a speedy recovery. I can understand that 2 days in your mind makes a big difference but just think if it happened that way it's meant to be. It will be fine, you just have to psych. yourself up again. Keep us posted.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

epc1970

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 06:43:44 am »
Hi Lynn
I'm so sorry to hear about the postponement of your surgery date. I understand your stress-even two days is a big deal to someone who is psyching themselves up for brain surgery. I would have freaked out if that had happened to me! I'm sorry this happened but I think you are taking a great approach in taking a walk to clear your mind about this development.
Erin
PS: I have met the infamous Millie when I consulted with Dr Barker-I do not think I could gave handled having to work around her for my care. I understand a little of the force that you are working against!

CarolAnn

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 09:32:20 am »
Hi Lynn!  I tried to respond yesterday, but must have hit a wrong button??

Sorry you are having a postponement, I know when you have a plan set, you just feel like you are in control, finally. 

I had 10/17/09 set and the doctor's scheduling nurse called and said she had to change it to 10/29/09 as I had to be first case and his only case that day.

She had put me as 2nd case.  She had a new one ripped for her, so I didn't get upset with her.   Why add to her already bad day!

Keep busy, make yourself lists of to-dos before you go in.  While you are in. When you get home.

Oh, and find a walker ahead of time, no one told me to have one home.  Got mine from a friend who didn't need it anymore. Can also check on craigslist or ask around. You don't need it long, but, boy - it helps the first few weeks.

Keep your spirits up!

Best wishes,

Carol

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 07:48:27 am »
Lynn,
I got you beat.  Sorry.  Check out my thread Torture . . .   Six week delay that delayed my trip to Scotland.  I was pretty ripped.
Maybe in your case it will turn out to have benefits of which you are not yet aware.  That's the only way to get through it.
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8765.0
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 08:12:29 am »
I am so sorry that you have to wait another 2 days to some people it may sound trivial just 2 days but to us we know that it feels like a lifetime.  I am a strong believer that things happen for a reason and that the delay might turn out to be a good thing.  So for those 2 days you have to stop everything if possible and do something special for yourself to keep you mind off of it and before you know it those days will just fly by.

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Lynn Mc

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 10:42:58 am »
Nancy - I just read your thread!!!!  The INSUFFERABLE MILLIE!!  Hopefully she is gone until I am through this.  I was tentatively scheduled for the first week in December.  Could not squeeze a date from her.  Finally she gave me one.  The 20th of January.  I immediately had to change everything!!  My kids all had to switch their time off. Including Major Melissa who had to get her leave changed.  I to have a trip (not like yours) to Florida  for work on Feb 24th.  That is on hold now. 
I am not sure how Dr. Barker could deal with her??  When I talked to them the other day it was the office of one of his proteges that was straightening out Millie's booking snafu. 
I am handling things better today thankfully.  Had a great morning in the barn with the horses & pups.  They really make my day.

Merry Christmas & Peace to all,

Lynn
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 11:10:02 am »
Lynn,
Any chance you could post pics of your horses and puppies?
At one point during pre-op, I asked Dr. Barker, "Do I go for my chest X-ray next?"  He said, "Whatever Mili says."  I almost went off on a diatribe about how incompetent she is, but I decided it would not be beneficial to my outcome.  She called me immediately after surgery and told me I had an MRI on Monday at 8 am.  I advised her that I did not require one for three months!  She had the wrong patient.
At least the surgeons are skilled, and that's what matters.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Lynn Mc

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 03:56:48 am »
Nancy,
Would love to post pics - but have not figured out how yet.  Computer challenged I am.

Lynn
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 03:58:48 am by Lynn Mc »
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"