Author Topic: Pregnancy and chronic pain  (Read 5476 times)

GeorgiaMei

Pregnancy and chronic pain
« on: January 14, 2009, 02:58:14 pm »
I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with pregnancy/breast-feeding and pain management.  I had chronic daily headaches and take 15mg of Methadone per day, plus another narcotic for break-through.   My neurologist says it's fine and I have an appointment with a high-risk OB/GYN coming up.

I don't think I could function without the meds, but am worried about having a healthy pregnancy and would love to hear of other's experiences.  Thanks! Karen
3.3cm x 2.6cm : Translab resect 3/08
Post-op epilepsy , multiple clots in brain sinuses
Chronic H/A, Facial paralysis, Imbalance, Vertigo
CN VIII removed-deaf in R ear
Received amazing care from Drs. Roberson and Colen at CEI/Stanford (www.californiaearinstitute.com)

Kaybo

Re: Pregnancy and chronic pain
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:16:04 pm »
Karen~
I can't help you much as I do not suffer from headaches anymore (but had HORRIBLE ones before) but I did have 3 wonderful pregnancies AFTER surgery!  I did think about how I had a friend who had AWFUL, dibilitating migraines BUT was headache-FREE while she was pregnant.  Just a thought!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keeping Up

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 07:59:38 pm »
Try www.Motherisk.org - it is an organization run by Sick Children's Hospital in Toronto - its focus is medication and the fetus (and breastfeeding and the babe).  I will assume you are American - but I do think they take calls from non-Canadians.  They do studies and are extremely well versed IMO.

It is a start.  The site is well organized so you may even find some studies on your particular medications.

Good luck.
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

GeorgiaMei

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 08:11:13 pm »
Thank you very much Kaybo and Keeping Up for your messages!  I will definitely check out that resource in Toronto.  Take care, Karen
Received amazing care from Drs. Roberson and Colen at CEI/Stanford (www.californiaearinstitute.com)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:42:16 pm »
Just a question Georgiamei, but has your neurologist ever tried preventives like neurontin or Topamax for your headaches?  I received great info on prevntives at the ANA symposium which I then shared with my docs and found them to be far better at managing my post op headaches which I have had for 6 years.  CDs of both of the last headache workshops are available from the ANA for $10.00.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 07:31:17 pm »
I don't have personal experience, as I've been fortunate enough to not need chronic pain management.  But there are resources available for tryingg to figure out how to manage medications during pregnancy and breastfeeding.  The ones I've found are:

- Dr. Hale's book "Medications and Mother's Milk 2008" - your OB should have access to this and be able to look up your medications.
- Dr. Hale's forum (non-professionals can't ask questions, but you can search for answers) http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/lact/medicationforumspage.html

- http://www.kellymom.com/

In addition to your other doctors, you can consult with a certified Lactation Consultant. 

Good luck!  I hope you're able to get the answers you need.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

GeorgiaMei

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 10:00:36 pm »
Thanks Captain Deb and Katie for your messages.  I was on Neurontin  for several months in addition to anti-seizure meds (post-op sz's), which helped decrease some of the pain, although it never subsided totally.  I just stopped both the Neurontin and my latest sz med, Depakote, and the headaches have gotten worse again.  Neither of those should be taken, if possible, during pregnancy and they had their own yucky side effects.  I haven't tried Topamax, but will look into it to see if it could work for me.  Thanks for the suggestions!

And thanks so much for the resources Katie--they look great!

My best to you both!
Karen

MamaGina

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:31:19 pm »
I'm pregnant and suffering w/pain also.  I had to stop my Topamax-not compatible w/pregnancy.  Safe meds are classified as "A', or 'B"-anything "c" or higher is unsafe.  Surprisingly, opioids (like Methadone) are safer than the anti-sz meds (Depakote, Neurontin, Topamax, etc.) I am using OTC's now, which are useless.  I have to get to my Dr. for a better Rx.  Last week was hell!  My poor kids were cooking, cleaning (a little), and massaging my head!  They need a support group to deal w/having such a sick mother.  it's so dysfunctional.   >:(
L 3.0 cm AN resection via retrosigmoid approach 10/2000;
CSF leak repair w/mastoidectomy one week later. 
chronic headaches, vertigo, fatigue, facial paralysis, SSD, and more!

GeorgiaMei

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 07:15:04 pm »
Hi MamaGina.  It's so nice to hear from you. I hope your pain gets better soon!  Were you on OTC's before pregnancy?  Any narcotics?  I am thankfully off of the Topamax and other anti-epileptics.  Did you have seizures related to your AN surgery?   I have a couple of sz's right after my translab removal, but have now been seizure free for awhile  ;D  The pain has been intense though and I can't function without meds, unfortunately.   I hope your doctor can help you find some relief as well.   Your kids sound great! How old are they?  Thanks for the message!  Karen