Author Topic: Went to Space Camp 9 months after Surgery!!  (Read 1976 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Went to Space Camp 9 months after Surgery!!
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:28:08 pm »
I just wanted to tell you all I had the most awesome weekend here this last week.  I went to Space Camp in Huntsville, AL where I went on a number of things that would normally challenge a healthy balance system such as a centrifuge (3.2 g's baby!), one of those 3 axis spinning ring things, and tethered on the end of a robot 20 feet in the air.  Surprisingly, I had no issue whatsoever with dizzyness, nor walking once I got off all those things.  So I guess my balance nerve is getting itself pretty well recalibrated!! So for all you newbies out there who are worried about life after having surgery, let me assure you that things can go back to fairly normal!
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Went to Space Camp 9 months after Surgery!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 06:10:45 pm »
WOW  :o  How awesome is that??

Always wanted to go to Space Camp.  Sounds like it was tons of fun!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 06:45:16 pm »
That's great sounding!   Glad you shared that with us!!!

I couldn't even imagine that many years ago before tumor & in great health!  :)

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 12:11:41 pm »
Hi, Jay ~

This is great news and I'm pleased to read about it. 

We visited Disney World two years after my AN surgery & radiation and I not only walked what seemed like a million miles in the hot Florida sun (in August) but went on all the rides, including 'Space Mountain" (big, fast roller coaster - mostly in the dark), 'Test Track' (twice) and some rapid Go-Kart-like rides on a circular track.  Great fun.  My adult son, in his late 20's at the time and quite healthy, pooped out long before I did.  My wife commented: "I guess you're really recovered, now".  I agreed.  Based on your recent Space Camp experience, so are you.  Congratulations!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.