Author Topic: Memory problem and an"s  (Read 5252 times)

lmurray69

Memory problem and an"s
« on: April 04, 2006, 08:32:12 pm »
I was wondering first how to get my fonts bigger,, any way does all (an )patients have memory problems.. They all think I am looseing my memory, But no one is doing anything about it..i AM ONLY 53 THAT IS YOUNG ISNT IT..  sorry the keys stick I didnt mean to scream ..I feall like it sometimes,, I wish I had some of the energy others have or does that come with the an too...
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: Memory problem and an"s
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 08:39:31 pm »
L,

53 is young. Everyone has different issues as a result of an an / an removal or zap. there are other posts here about memory loss. You are not the only one. Not sure if there is a cure or whether it comes back coz my memory was and still is pretty clear. A strange symptom that I get is a bit of dixlexia on the keyboard. I use the backspace key a lot. Like I will spell she as hse.

larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 08:45:14 pm »
Linda I def. have memory problems that I didnt have before surgery.  I can remember phone numbers and details prior to surgery but things that have occurred since surgery are fuzzy.  I forget what I'm doing and have a hard time concentrating. 

lmurray69

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 08:56:58 pm »
My problem is thepills that i have to take are heavy and i am diabetic.. spelling is bad, cause i dont hear and so i spell at what i think it should be ,, and I have short term memory loss,, dont remember if i have eatten or not.. taken pills .But i do remember that i haveto go to the bath room so im off to go ,,cya and thanks for the post
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 10:34:12 pm »
Hey Linda you're one up on me on the potty thing  lol 

What pills are you on that are heavy?  Is it for the diabetes or the AN?

thecakes

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 07:00:45 am »
.   Imurray69   I have to wine on all these posts about short term memory problems, its my favorite subject.  You name it, and I'v done it.(Locked myself out of the house, in my jammies,etc} Alot.  My dr. gave me Aricept to try. Its a Alzheimer's med.  I hope it helps make my life more bearable.  Oh and, i can't spell either.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 07:14:52 am »
Ah Patti, your doing just fine. maybe you should keep a spare key somewhere. That could have been rather embarrasing out in your pj's.

I think knowing that you have these issues, actually makes it easier to deal with it I think. Just gotto accept some things.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 08:18:07 am »
cakes at least you had pj's on! 

thecakes

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 12:24:51 pm »
  Larry and Batty,  I had to go across the highway to the neighbors.  The wind was blowing hard, my hair was up in a tail, looking like h!%^ and I had no makeup on.  My nightgound was blowing up, it was a terribable scene.  The poor neighbor was probably in shock. Since then, I keep a key outside but i'm so bad i probably won't remember where its at next time.

Boppie

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 04:50:31 pm »
I, too, know it is difficult.  I feel "impaired" sometimes but I try not use this word.  I know a person 8 or 9 years older than me.  She keeps me in line.  Whenever, I complain about memory problems she reassures me that memory is a part of our brain that we need to tease and retrain.  As we get older most people find it is more difficult to keep short term facts on the "brain whiteboard".   I think of the short term memeory as ROM in the computer.  I grew up with the idea that my little blackboard was the place I could "see" the word I needed. ;D

So, I play card games, I do cross word puzzles (easy ones), I still enjoy jig saw puzzles, I listen to classical music that has evenly measured cadences, I self correct my spelling by reading everything I type, etcetera.  On this forum, go to your own post and click on "Modify".  When you see your post, place the cursor inside and move along to edit, backspace, and delete.  Edit your own spellings and then click "Save" at the bottom.  Corrections done!

The trauma of AN treatment, the drugs, and the hysteria of the event is quite a lot to live with.  Hang in there, memory gets better.  Besides you still have a hearing ear.  Give yourself a break!  The birds are just wonderful this spring!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 04:54:50 pm by Boppie »

lmurray69

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 05:14:52 pm »
I am on  neurontin for seizers , lipitor, metformin, flexeril, metlazine, high blood pressure meds, the one neuro doc says that i have 14 pills and that is a lot..My memory gets worst in the eveing time.. I go see the srgeon tomorrow wish me luck

Boppie

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 05:36:27 pm »
I wish you the best.  Some church groups have volunteers who can file the paperwork to get you covered by the free drug program.  If they can get you qualified you can get many meds free directly from the companies who make them. It takes a few weeks but working with these volunteers to file the right proofs and certificates is well worth your time and trouble. Start with the Lutheran, and Methodists Women's Assosciations.  Some hospital pharmacies will help you with the paperwork too.  Ask for a Drug Patient Advocate. Some of the questions they will ask might feel a little invasive about income, etcetera, but go along with them.

matti

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 08:47:15 pm »
Imurray - my doctor wants to put me on Neurontin for neuritis on my AN side. Been reading quite a bit about it. He wants to start me at 300mg 3x daily and increase slowly. From what I have seen
weight gain seems to be the most common complaint. :(    Anything you can tell me about it? I'd appreciate it.

Good luck tomorrow!

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 07:02:23 pm »
Lmurray how did your appt go? 

Boppie good tips thanks for sharing!

Matti maybe it will have the opposite affect? (waving magic batty wand)