Author Topic: Gammaknfe is over  (Read 4313 times)

Vivian B.

Gammaknfe is over
« on: July 04, 2010, 07:42:24 am »
Hi everybody!

I am sorry I took a few days to post. I had my gammaknife treatment at the Toronto Western on June 30/2010. It was quite an experience. I was in at 5:30 am and the first step was to put the frame on which I to carried for the next 12 hours. There were two other patients being treated the same day. Since my tumor was the biggest of the other two, my treatment was the last one as apparently it took longer to map out. The team of doctors were great and the nurses too. It was quite a weird day. After the frame was put on, I had a scan done. For the scan they use another frame on top of the one that's already on. It was very uncomfortable. Then you basically wait your turn for the MRI, and the mapping and then finally the radiation.

I felt like I was going to the moon when I was put in the gammaknife machine. What a technology. Before I went in the oncologist told me they mapped a good plan but that the facial nerve was right underneath the tumor and I will probably get some mumbness along the way and that it should resolve. Overall the treatment went well. My incisions are still slightly swollen but no infection and my headaches not bad at all. I tend to wake up with one but with some tylenol it goes a way for the day.

I cannot believe I actually went through it. They do not give you any sedatives although I had to ask for ativan prior to going into each of the scan, MRI and the gammanknife machine only because my anxiety starts getting the best of me. The freezing prior to the frame being put on was quite good. I did not feel anything. Although, since I was the last patient, I needed extra freezing on my right side as it wearing off.

I was impressed with the whole set up of the treatment.

If you are a candidate for radiosurgery, I definitely recommend it. I have a consultation appointment on Sep 29/2010 and an MRI in 6 months. For now I will try not to think too much about it but as you all know, easier said than done.

I guess I can call myself a toastie postie!
Thank you all for all your good wishes and prayers. I could not have done it without you.

To those in the states, happy 4th of July!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

sunfish

Re: Gammaknfe is over
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 08:49:26 am »
Congratulations, postie!!  I try not to think too much about my zapped AN either, but it's kind of like "waiting for the other shoe to drop . . . "

Prayers that you continue to do well!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 12:52:59 pm »
Vivian ~

Congratulations on successfully completing the Gamma Knife treatment!  We appreciate your update and hope that this will turn out well (dead tumor). 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 03:16:29 pm »
Congrats and welcome to postieland
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

nanramone

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 04:50:26 pm »
Vivian - I'm glad to hear all went smoothly! Well wishes to you~

Nancy

mk

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 01:43:30 pm »
Congratulations Vivian, I am happy that you had a good experience. 12 hours, wow, that was a long time to be carrying that frame around. Best wishes for a quick and symprom free recovery. Make sure to take it easy and not overexert yourself. I took many naps during the first few weeks to make sure I was rested.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 02:03:37 pm »
Way to go Vivian!!!  I hope all goes well with little or no symptoms.  Relax and let your family take care of you while you recover. 

Anne Marie  :-*
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 12:33:37 pm »
Congratulations Vivian!  Take care of yourself and keep us informed of how you are doing.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

eab

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 10:10:09 pm »
Congratulations! Here's to a quick recovery and lots of necrosis!

Beth
Left side AN 2.5x1.7x1.5cm, limited hearing loss, limited tin., good balance
GK 7/6/09 Hoag Hospital; MRIs at 2, 6 & 12 months show no change in tumor size - hearing etc. same as before GK.

Vivian B.

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 08:46:05 am »
Thanks everybody.

I am into my second week. I went back to work yesterday. I felt very tired by evening. I started having nausea everyday now almost about the same time. Yesterday almost the whole day. It suppose to last about a month. Anyone else experienced this?

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

crivers

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 07:09:21 pm »
Vivian,

First, congrats - it is a big step and I'm happy you've made it past.

Second - I also went back to work quickly - but after 3 weeks, I realized I needed some more time, so I took 3 weeks off. Of course, circumstances vary widely, but I wouldn't think your situation was abnormal. About the nausea, I didn't experience that and feel for you there.

Sending over some cool vibes to help you out toward a speedy recovery.

Cheers,
Cayce
Rt side AN - discovered
Jul 09: 6mmx4mmx4mm
Feb 10: 8mmx5mmx5mm

CyberKnife - Stanford - Dr. Chang and Soltys
April 5 - 9th, 2010

Tumbleweed

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 08:58:13 pm »
Hi, Vivian:

Sorry I missed your post til now. I've been so busy with work that I only had time to respond to PMs for awhile.

First of all, congratulations on becoming a toastie postie!

I had CK and don't remember having nausea afterwards, but it's probably not unusual for you to be experiencing this. I would think that anything impacting the balance nerve could cause nausea. And I had all sorts of wierd symptoms soon after getting CK (numb skull -- okay, no jokes, everybody  ;D -- wierd depth perception, shortness of breath, slight out-of-body sensation). Most resolved within 48 hours, except my shortness of breath -- that lasted over a month! Having your brain irradiated is traumatic and can cause wierd symptoms, but the body does recover!

I hope and expect you'll feel better soon.

Warm wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 07:56:51 am »
Welcome fellow "Zapper"  glad the proceedure went so well.  Here's to a great follow up MRI!!!
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!