Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 408718 times)

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #810 on: March 20, 2009, 07:04:58 am »
I just finished a book by Terry Brooks, The Gypsy Morph.  It was ok, but not on the top of my books read list.  I think a book club is a great idea, but it's probably hard to please everyone.  I pretty much stick to sci-fi/fantasy books.  If we had enough people in the club, we could split it up into interests and mail books back and forth :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

cindyj

« Reply #811 on: March 20, 2009, 08:11:14 am »
The Book Club was going quite strong last year until right before the holidays...perhaps we can start it back up again soon.  In the meantime, Anissa, here's a list of suggestions for you, some we read here, others not.  Not sure what type of book you like, but maybe something here will spark your interest:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, he also wrote Kite Runner, but several here agree that Suns was even better.

1000 White Women by Jim Fergus - the Book Club hasn't read this one, but I read it right after my surgery - really very good

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - unanimously loved by the Book Club!  Great read.

The Outlander Series by Dianna Gabaldon (they'll keep you busy for a while!)

Anything by Harlen Coben...and there are a bunch of them!

Know there are others from earlier days of the Book Club and I certainly have many, many more that I could recommend if you need more suggestions.

Enjoy and let us know what you read and what you think!

Ernie, glad to see you here also!  I'm not much of a science fiction reader, but I'm sure there would be some interest from others.   Feel free to suggest a book and we'll see what happens. 

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #812 on: March 20, 2009, 08:14:20 am »
Hello All~
I am not going to say that I am taking this over, but since I was one of the "Members" from the first, I'll take the bait & try to get it going again. OMG16 was the one that had this great idea, but I am sad to say that in all my efforts to reach her, I have received no correspondance back.  WE MISS YOU 16 and hope things are going OK.  Last night, Dave & I went to Barnes & Noble after our dinner date (15 year anniversary!) and were walking around and I thought about the book club.  I always thought and have told people that it really helped me to expand my reading horizons!  I got out of my rut of reading the same old books and branched out - & found some new books & authors that I really liked!  It is tough because everyone is so busy.  I do like Ernie's idea of swapping and recommending REALLY good books (that I might not read otherwise).  We might try reading together again and then if it starts to fizzle again, we could try the other.  Also, why doesn't everyone write what they like to read the BEST (& maybe someone more organized can keep a list of this for us) and then you could hook up with others that have that same interests - maybe even swap books??  Just a thought!

Feedback...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #813 on: March 26, 2009, 01:12:38 pm »
Kay -

I miss the book club too and think we should start it up again.

If nothing else, it makes me take time to read - which is something I enjoy immensely but tend to stop doing when the rest of my life gets hectic.  I've been reading White Oleander by Janet Fitch for what seems like forever.  Although it's on the Oprah list, I just haven't been able to get into it.  But I about 3/4 done and I hate to just give up  ::)

Anyway, I could use a good book.  I'm for the group read with the discussion, but I'm open to the book swap idea also.

Okay, a little off topic here, but whatever happened to OMG?  Haven't "seen" her on the forum in ages.  Anyone know??

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #814 on: March 26, 2009, 01:31:47 pm »
Jan~
I read that book when it was first on Oprah's list thingy and I DID NOT like it - I mean, I remember REALLY not liking it!!

I am going to try to e-mail 16 again - I have called and written a couple of times with no luck...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #815 on: March 26, 2009, 02:09:51 pm »
K -

glad I'm not the only one who disagreed with Oprah  :D

If you do contact 16, please give her my best.

Oh - and don't forget to tell her Steve's knitting hats now.  She'll be amazed!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #816 on: March 26, 2009, 02:57:40 pm »
I hardly ever like Oprah books.  They usually depress me!  U'm looking for a good book too.  I will be checking in to see if someone has a suggestion.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #817 on: March 26, 2009, 03:51:34 pm »
I would be very interested in a trying a book club so count me in if it is revived!  I love to read, and like Jan, it takes a back seat to a hectic life sometimes.  BUT....  maybe this would help me prioritize a bit better!!!!!  (...and I kinda liked White Oleander...a bit dark and dysfunctional, but interesting!!...wonder what that says about me?)

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

sgerrard

« Reply #818 on: March 26, 2009, 08:19:58 pm »
I don't know about this. The last round got me knee deep in yarn...

It seems to me that some books are good to read but not so great for discussion - the murder mysteries and such. Fun to swap around, but not that much to talk about. The ones that got the most discussion were the more unusual ones - an interesting place or time, some controversy, something different going on.

So we need some of each. If something like The Thirteenth Tale or A Thousand Splendid Suns comes along, lets do the group read and discuss. For the good old pulp fiction, lets just do a book swap.

No more knitting books, either.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #819 on: March 26, 2009, 09:25:25 pm »
I heard there was a sequel to the knitting one...seriously!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #820 on: March 27, 2009, 12:02:21 pm »
How can there be a sequel?  Didn't she die in the end?  I would be up for A Thousand Splendid Suns.  I love his first book.

Priscilla
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kaybo

« Reply #821 on: March 27, 2009, 12:26:01 pm »
I haven't read it but i thought that maybe it was about how the store goes on or about the daughter??

I'll read whatever...didn't we read 1,000 Suns??  Any other suggestions, if we HAVE read that one??  I thought that the Jodi Poccolti (sp?) one was good...what about another of hers?  I think Steve's right, we seem to do better discussing those like that!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #822 on: March 27, 2009, 03:53:44 pm »
Are there any books about an extremely generous man who gives millions of dollars to his forum friends?   ;)  We talked Steve into knitting, maybe we can talk him into that too!

I never have time to actually participate in the book club, but I've read a lot of the things that were suggested here.  I just have to do it on my own time so that may be before or after the discussion is going on.    Anyway, I think I've read most of the Jodi Picoult books and I've liked them all - wasn't completely crazy about Vanishing Acts, but Keeping Faith and Change of Heart were really good.

I just got The Time Travelers Wife in the mail today through swaptree.com and the lady I swapped books with put a little note in the envelope that she absolutely loved the book, so I'm hoping it turns out to be a good one.

Ok, just my 2 cents.  Carry on book clubbers.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #823 on: March 27, 2009, 05:35:51 pm »
I read Time Traveler's Wife and enjoyed it, but admit to gettiing mixed up sometimes in his travels.  I still recommend Sarah's Key and The People of the Book as my current good books to share w/people.  I do like the Outlander books too.

Priscilla

Kaybo

« Reply #824 on: March 27, 2009, 05:48:57 pm »
Priscilla~
Are those 2 different books or one? ???

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!