Author Topic: Got a call from my physicians office  (Read 2163 times)

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Got a call from my physicians office
« on: February 28, 2009, 11:14:43 am »
As you know, my surgery is this coming Thursday.  Well yesterday the physicians office called and said that the Dr. now wants a CAT scan before surgery!  I asked him, and his assistant, at different times, if the MRI from September was good enough.  Both assured me that there was no need for further scans because these grow so slowly.

I had an appointment last week with the neurosurgeon.  I asked him the same thing and got the same answer.  I gave him the disk with my MRI images.  I have to assume that he saw something on there that concerned him since that's the last appointment I had and all of a sudden there is a need for a CAT scan.

Well, I'll find out Monday when I call the office I guess.  I'll keep you all posted.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

sgerrard

Re: Got a call from my physicians office
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 11:44:09 am »
Ernie,

I had a CAT scan and an MRI the day before my first CK treatment. As I understand it, the CAT scan, which is a fancy form of an X-Ray, is more accurate for showing shapes, dimensions, and such. It is really just like a photograph, only made with x-rays instead of light. The MRI images are always reconstructed from piles of computer data, and while they are obviously useful for identifying things likes ANs, they can distort shape, form, and dimension somewhat.

They probably just want to get a good image of the tumor, to check things like how close it is to this or that nerve, blood vessel, and the brainstem. I doubt it is anything to worry about.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 01:34:24 pm »
Ernie:

As Steve indicated, I wouldn't be too concerned.  My neurosurgeon ordered an MRI two days prior to my surgery, even though my 'original' MRI scan was only a month old.  He explained that he didn't want any 'surprises' when he operated.  I guess he didn't find any because the surgery was very successful with no real complications.  I think your doctor is just being cautious, which is a good thing.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jwh

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 01:47:53 pm »
Same here - had my MRI done 6 days before my surgery.  I'm sure your o.k. - I think it's pretty typical.

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

moe

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 01:56:54 pm »
I agree. No need to worry, just being extra cautious. I wish they had done a second MRI prior to my AN removal. My case was crazy. My husband was stationed in Bremerton, WA, and I was still at home (2 year thing) with the 3 teens, waiting for kid to finish high school, and one just started college. Had the MRI  in TX, in March 06. Brought the MRI with me to WA. Surgery was June 06 in WA at Madigan Army Med Ctr. They used my MRI which was 3 months old! Will keep you in prayer for a safe surgery, and will love to help with post op issues, if any.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

EJTampa

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 05:52:33 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  I'm sure you're right, but I'm still going to wonder until I find out for sure :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 06:09:32 am »
Ernie,
I had a CAT scan before surgery and then 24 hrs after surgery, the Dr said so that he can compare before and after.  He said the after they don't do all the time unless they think there may be a problem.  I had no problems and don't remember much about the scan after surgery.  I wouldn't worry.

Dan in Germany   
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 07:21:21 am »
Hi Ernie,
I had an MRI two days before surgery.  They used it to "map" exactly where they needed to be.   No worries, I think it's completely normal and best practice.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 07:49:55 am »
Ernie,

I had a CT scan before my surgery too.  My doc said it shows the fine boney anatomy  needed for surgical planning since MRIs don't show this very well.  Just thought this might give you somemore insight.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 08:43:10 am »
this is procedure in scotland, i got a ct scan a few days before my surgery, he said it gives them a better view of whats going on, so it really would make sense to get this done. they could see my AN had grown slightly in 8 months.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Keri

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 10:20:30 am »
Hi,
I'm going to sound like others. I had a MRI right before my surgery. In fact, they had to shave off more of my hair, not for the surgery itself, but so they could connect the MRI leads.
After surgery, I had a CT and MRI. Then in the middle of the night (when the macihines were available for in patients) for the next 2 or 3 nights I had either an MRI or CT scan. A resident saw something and thought I had a blood clot, but my neurosurgeon said it was nothing. I think they were 'erring' on the side of caution, which is much better than ignorance! I think I had 8 total MRI / CT's in my 6 day stay in the hospital. Glad I"m not claustrophobic in those tubes. I've never opened my eyes in one of them. They were very cold in the middle of the night. Oh well, glad it's over!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

EJTampa

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 01:19:16 pm »
Well, I called and scheduled my appointment for the CAT scan.  They don't know wny it was ordered, since they only have the instruction to schedule it.

It turns out they have their own CAT machine, so I can have it done just before my pre-op - same day.  At least it's not an added inconvenience to me now.

I'm thinking its a money thing.  They run it through the insurance, insurance says yes, we'll cover that, so it's scheduled.  Alll that money stays with them since they own the machine. /shrug

Maybe it's just that I'm making myself believe it's a money thing so I won't worry that they found something else!

Ernie

TP

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 04:20:07 pm »
I had a CT before and after my surgery. The one I had after my surgery was not very nice. It was the day after my surgery and as they rolled me (kinda rough) into the elevator and up to the xray room I threw up all over myself and people were just walking bye like nothing was wrong. I was so embarrassed.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 05:06:42 pm »
I had an MRI after surgery and it was probably more traumatic than the surgery, or it least it seemed so at the time.  I was in pain and couldn't imagine moving an inch let alone from the gurney to the MRI machine.  Ugh.  Glad they did it though, cause it showed the tumor completely gone which was a good thing.
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.