Author Topic: BAHA and TransEar questions  (Read 1472 times)

JB914

BAHA and TransEar questions
« on: April 24, 2009, 11:35:42 pm »
i had my ENT / Audiology consult today.   Hearing test shows i'm still deaf in right ear.  ::) :D 

I asked about the TransEar and the ENT/audiologist said they have not had good results.  I explained that on the AN forums my fellow AN'ers had positive feedback on both BAHA and TransEar.   ;D

The ENT/audiologist seemed to favor the CROS.  IMHO the options would be:
1.  TransEar
2.  BAHA
3.  do nothing

I read alot of positives here about BAHA, but, most seem to be from ladies and i suspect the BAHA is pretty easy to hide w/ hair?
what about the guys? 

What about TransEar users?

thanks in advance!!  :)

11mm AN right side surgery House Ear Clinic 12/00
W. Luxford MD / John D. Day MD
SSD right side, ringing

grega

Re: BAHA and TransEar questions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 05:11:09 am »
Hi JB .....
I'm SSD & used cros for 3 yrs ..... 2 units in and behind ears were a lot of effort at times.  Also very effective in picking up noises and voices behind me .... but not easy hearing someone on deaf side.  So decided to try transear.  Audiologist fitting deep in ear (ouch) ... final unit not powerful enuf even at highest setting ... in a quiet room, sounded as if the speaker was whispering far away.  I tried baha tester for 2 wks.  From what I've read on this and other forums, I'll plan for that.

Of course, your situation is diff, so suggest you try all of them for best option.  Sure, baha will be seen unless you're able to cover it one way or another ..... or decide not to worry about it.  Think outside the box on what you might tell those who ask (e.g. an AN post-er mentioned a new type blue tooth ;D).

Best to ya .... Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Keri

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 02:46:34 pm »
Hi JB,
Based on what I've read on the forum, your ENT's recommendations are surprising to me.
Good luck in finding what works for you. Right now I'm just living with the SSD but will most likely go for BAHA in a few months.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 06:07:27 pm »
JB -

in my opinion, you should definitely not consider the cros.

And I'd rank BAHA #1 and TransEar #2.  But that's just my opinion.

Mike (mikjul1) who just had a BAHA implant last week has used both the Cros and the TransEar.  He's been SSD for over 27 years.  This says a whole lot in my opinion.

But then again, as a BAHA user, I'll admit I'm totally biased  ;D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 06:48:12 pm »
JB -

been giving this a little thought.  Here's a partial list of male forumites who are BAHA users - it might help you to PM them and ask for their input on the whole hair thing.  I'm sure they'd all be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.  Some of them were instrumental in my decision to pursue the BAHA implant.

joef, ellis (1wareagle), Sam Rush, Bucko, Trackman (Mitch), mikjul1 (Mike).

Joe F, Ellis, Bucko, and Sam Rush have had their BAHAs for a while.  Mitch and Mike just had the surgery.

Hope this helps,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JB914

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 09:56:32 pm »
thanks for the feedback Jan.  ;D
11mm AN right side surgery House Ear Clinic 12/00
W. Luxford MD / John D. Day MD
SSD right side, ringing

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 01:36:35 pm »
You're welcome.

Thought of someone else yesterday who is a BAHA user - gramps.

He used the TransEar prior to the BAHA.  He might have some valuable input for you also.

Jan