Author Topic: Steroid Question  (Read 2561 times)

Catflower

Steroid Question
« on: April 24, 2007, 07:13:06 am »
This has probably been asked at least a hundred times, but how long after you stop taking steroids does the bloating and fluid retention get better?  I also read that steroids can cause increased hair growth and I can't bend over to shave my legs so if you hear of a "wolf woman" being spotted in central West Virginia that would be me  :D

Linda in WV

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Steroid Question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 07:23:25 am »
Linda,

How long have you been on them and at what dose? (how many mg at how many times per day)

I was on Decadron (Decacrap as I lovingly called it) for approx 3 weeks (2mg/2x day) with a slow taper to go off  of them.  Folks that were on this board this time last year remember the slight.. um.... bowel issue I had being on them (but have to admit, my energy level was high and my house was the cleanest it's been in a long time!).

I found (and also discussed with my dad --  PapaPearl as he's known around here -- as he is a pharmacist) that it took approx 1-2 wks for it to be fully out of my system.

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Catflower

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 07:44:36 am »
I've just be on Dexamethasone 4 mg since my surgery the 17th and have been slowly tapering since then.  Today I'm taking 1/2 tablet twice a day then tapering to 1/2 tablet once a day for the next 3 days.

Maybe this is what is causing my diarrhea instead of a flare up of the Crohn's.  I've been taking Lomotil for that but it makes me really thirsty and doesn't help with the dryness in my right eye.

Linda in WV

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 07:52:49 am »
Hi Linda,

Dexamethasone is the generic name for Decadron, so the same meds I was on.... I have had IBS for years and it had the opposite affect on me.  As one with Crohn's, I can imagine the havoc it has had on your system. 

there are otc remedies for the dry eye. I had short term dry eye a few months post CK and I used "GenTeal" ointment at night, drops by day. There are other great OTC remedies for that as well.

If your taper ends this week, hoping by end next week you will be back to yourself.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"