Author Topic: Tongue and taste Issues  (Read 2959 times)

Dee-dee

Tongue and taste Issues
« on: October 08, 2013, 05:30:35 pm »
I am now almost two years post gamma knife radiation.  Not long ago, I started experiencing for the first time a terrible constant metallic/sour taste in my mouth and tingling on the side of my tongue (same side as AN) which  seems to be getting worse.  My ENT and my neurologist have told me that this is probably permanent damage due to the radiation and that I have to learn to live with it.   On top of the tinnitus, balance , hearing impairment,  headaches, eye, and memory issues, now this. Does anyone else have this problem and is there any hope of a cure. Has anyone heard of any treatment for this "tongue issue? I've made peace with all the other symptoms and accepted that they are permanent, but I'm having a hard time accepting this   "new normal". I thought I would be so much better by now.
2.3 cm AN.   Hearing loss and other symptoms. Gamma knife 2011.

rupert

Re: Tongue and taste Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 07:45:22 pm »
I had all of these conditions, except the headaches and memory problems.   
Have these issues happened before?    My symptoms came and went off and on until they went away all together. I would still keep hope that these are only temporary.

mk

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 08:25:16 pm »
In my case the metallic taste/tingling/facial numbness only went away after the tumor had been resected. These symptoms are due to pressure on the trigeminal nerve. This nerve heals relatively easily once the pressure is relieved, but unfortunately as long as the tumor is there the symptoms will continue. The other possibility of course is damage to the nerve directly because of the radiation. I suppose in this case you could hope that the nerve may heal. My neurosurgeon told me that fluctuations in the sensory nerves, such as the trigeminal nerve are not uncommon.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Dee-dee

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 07:18:11 pm »
Thank you all for your replies and encouragement.

2.3 cm AN.   Hearing loss and other symptoms. Gamma knife 2011.