Author Topic: Strabismus surgery?  (Read 3998 times)

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
Strabismus surgery?
« on: July 12, 2006, 04:19:56 pm »
I am suppose to get this eye muscle surgery because my eyes don't line up when i look a certain way and i get double vision.  Has anyone had this one or know someone who has??
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

DeniseSmith

Re: Strabismus surgery?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 07:01:03 am »
Taylor,

I have the same problem.  I chose not to have the surgery, and I now wear glasses with prisms to help correct the problem.  I didn't wear glasses before my surgery, so it has taken some time to get used to.

I know there is someone on this site that has had the surgery, wish I could remember who it was....  I think there is an older thread on this subject.  You might want to look in past threads.

Denise

chelsmom

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 08:35:42 am »
Hi Taylor,
I've read your story and your mom has replied to my posts regarding your surgery.  My daughter is Chelsea and has had 2 surgeries to remove her tumor.  They thought it was 4.5 cm at first but after they got additional MRI's they figured it to be a 6cm tumor.  It has been a difficult road for her.  She was in ICU for 20 days and is still here at the hospital (UCLA) at 29 days with a long way to go.  Today they are doing another surgery on her vocal cord that was paralysed after the first surgery.  Hopefully that will help her with her ability to gain back the swallow reflex quicker once she gets the tracheostomy removed and give her a voice.  She, like you,  just graduated and is 17 years old.  I know that you are now 18 but were 17 when you had the surgery.  From what all the doctors and surgeons have told me you guys are in an elite group as these tumors of such great sizes are pretty rare especially at such a young age.  Not exactly the elite status one would want to choose.  Also like you she has the problem with the eye.  Her Doc said down the road she'll have to have the surgery to correct it which I guess is the same one you are now thinking of doing. Her right eye doesn't track to the left and doesn't look even with her left eye.  I'll be interested in your progress and am sure you'll have great success.  When Chelsea is able to get around more (after rehab) I'm sure she'll want to be in touch with you and compare your situations.  Good luck.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.    Michelle

Karen

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 07:17:17 pm »
i was at the AN support group meeting in St.Louis in April.  I have had two eye muscle surgeries mine was really turned in.  It has helped.  The surgery was nothing to worry about.  Feel free to e-mail or call me since I had mine done at  Barnes also.  Let me know who you see.  I see a Dr. Shepherd at Center for Advanced medicine.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

ellenvig

• My AN
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 02:01:06 pm »
I had surgery for strabismus at age 20, at Newington Children's Hospital in CT.  Now, 20 years later, my eyes are still so well aligned that when they measure the pupil distance and enter my glasses prescription into the computer, it kicks it back as too perfect!

The first night was very uncomfortable, but each day was better after that.  Just don't read a novel on day 3 like I did.  :)

Ellen
2.3cm AN diagnosed 6/13/06.
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.
Dr. Greorg Noren, Providence RI.
http://savyon.com/ellen/AN.htm

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 09:03:30 pm »
Thanks for the posts.... it helped but i still don't know to get it or not.  I guess i'm scared.
Taylor
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

ellenvig

• My AN
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 09:31:33 pm »
A few hours after the surgery, I was so uncomfortable, I told my mother that even if it didn't work I would never do it again. 

That evening, I went to the bathroom, looked in the mirror, and saw both of my eyes looking back at me.  I was so overjoyed, and overcome with emotion that I cried.  I have never regretted the decision since.

Every time my eyes are tired and I feel them starting to pull a little, I am reminded of how bad it was before the surgery, and how wonderful it is to see normally.

I understand your fear.  Every time I hear of Lasik, I cringe! 

Ellen
2.3cm AN diagnosed 6/13/06.
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.
Dr. Greorg Noren, Providence RI.
http://savyon.com/ellen/AN.htm

chelsmom

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 12:43:12 am »
Hi Taylor,
Just wondered if you had made a decision yet?  I know you have had it tough and I hope you are hanging in there.  Like the old cliche goes "time will heal all things" along with some great doctors of course.  You are a great inspiration to all the younger AN warriors here on this site.  I'm sure when Chelsea is back home and is up to getting on the computer she will find strength in reading your story and your progress.  Stay strong.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.    Michelle

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 03:41:37 pm »
I am due to have strabismus sugery in September.  I'm nervous!  They'll do some measurements for my eyes in August.  My strabimus isn't real bad.  You can barely tell i have it. Only when i look up and to the sides.  My tinninus gets wore when i do that but then goes away when i look back straight.

I would love to talk with Chel and Chris when they get better.  I know this all sucks and i hope i can get em through it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 03:44:03 pm by Taylor »
Taylor
21 years-old
Illinois