Author Topic: Tongue Numbness 2 years post op  (Read 3512 times)

sarahinPA

Tongue Numbness 2 years post op
« on: August 19, 2013, 12:16:36 pm »
The past few weeks I've noticed that a spot on my tongue has been feeling numb, very sporadically. Now, I am on day 3 of the numbness not going away. Its in a spot near the middle of my tongue, on the AN side.

My first symptom of the AN was numbness on the tongue, but that was at the tip of my tongue, around the side edge. This is a new feeling/spot for the numbness.

I 3.5 years post GK, with regrowth, now I am 2 years post op. I have very faint facial numbness that is not very noticeable for my anymore, of course I am deaf and no balance nerve; but the doctors were able to save my facial nerve, so no paralysis.  I don't know if I should call the Neurosurgeon or wait until my upcoming MRI scan on Oct 30.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:38:09 pm by Jim Scott »
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Tounge Numbness 2 years post op
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 12:26:11 pm »
Call your neurosurgeon. October 30 is more than two months away, and that's a long time to fret about a bothersome symptom. S/he may be able to put your mind at rest about waiting, or may want to move up your MRI.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

sarahinPA

Re: Tongue Numbness 2 years post op
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:15:37 am »
After posting this yesterday, my left pointer finger became numb. First it was the tip of my finger, then the entire finger. Now its only the inner side of the finger. This is NOT my AN side, but very strange. My husband helped massage my neck, and arm to ensure that it wasn't a pinched nerve, but that didn't help.  I have no other symptoms and the finger isn't discolored at all.  Our thought is that its Neurological :(   I have a call into my Surgeon, but its clinic day so I wont get a call back until tomorrow.

Any thoughts?
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

nftwoed

Re: Tongue Numbness 2 years post op
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:36:40 am »
Hi;
   My thoughts are that it is idiopathic in nature and not related in any way to you AN.
   Seems if there is a true physical component, it could be vascular as well.
   Re, "neurological", PN, or Peripheral Neuropathy, to my knowledge, usually begins in the feet and can cause odd bodily sensations of numbness or pain elsewhere. Those episodes are usually short lived, but may recur same area.