Author Topic: Dallas Doctor??  (Read 3018 times)

dgrummer

Dallas Doctor??
« on: August 28, 2005, 07:32:42 pm »
Anyone have experience with Dr. Bruce Mickey of UT SW Medical Ctr in Dallas.  Husband diagnosed with a 2.5 cm right AN.  We've been referred by our neurosurgeon to Dr. Mickey and plan to be traveling there in the next week or so.

I'd be very interested in hearing anyone experience with his team and their outcome.

Thanks

dana

mike

Re: Dallas Doctor??
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 12:47:09 pm »
Yes, I have had experience with Dr. Bruce Mickey.  Have you read any of my prior posts?  I didn't want to bore you with redundant information otherwise.

domingued

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 02:58:19 pm »
My wife was just diagnosed with an AN and we are looking for physicians in Dallas with experience in this type of surgery. The ENT (neurotologist) we were referred to says he days approximately 15 of these per year. Is that significant?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 04:43:20 pm »
15 a year doesn't sound significant to me but in reality it probably is.  My neurologist does 365 surgeries a year for brain tumors.  This encompasses all types of tumors.  I was told by my GP that the average doctor only sees about 30 in his/her overall career.  I'd check to see how many they are seeing daily at House in LA.

Sanddollar

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 03:40:18 pm »
When I asked how many AN's my surgeon's group "saw" a year, I was told 30-40.  I don't know if all were treated surgically, but the fact that they have so many instances of a rare condition come through the door means that they know something of the "nature of the beast" and are probably getting referrals from area medical professionals based on a good reputation.

I found that I gained the most comfort from contacting those who had been treated by the surgical team I was considering.  I asked a lot of questions about how they chose this particular team and learned a lot about their reputation in this way.   Every case is different, but it is nice to hear directly about a surgical team's outcomes so you can assess their track record independently.

I am sure by now you have seen the many glowing posts about the House group.  They must be amazing, and probably see more AN's than anyone else in the country, but there are good results here in Texas, too.  I count myself among that group of individuals. 

All the best as you go through this process - making the treatment decision is the most difficult part by far.

Regards,

Sanddollar
1cm x 2cm, Left side -Translab
Drs. Vrabec & Trask - Jan '06
Houston, TX
Excellent Results!!!

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 06:17:25 pm »
Sanddollar.  I agree.  I know house sees the most from what I've read but I know Boppie had a great outcome with her docs in houston and with there only being a 3 hour drive (if I'm remembering correctly) it would def. be worth checking out.

Sanddollar

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 10:52:50 pm »
There are several of us who have used the same team here in Houston and everyone has been very generous in sharing their experiences.  There is a discussion thread called "dr in Houston" where we have posted.
1cm x 2cm, Left side -Translab
Drs. Vrabec & Trask - Jan '06
Houston, TX
Excellent Results!!!