Author Topic: surgery - radiation- another surgery?  (Read 3437 times)

tichinose

surgery - radiation- another surgery?
« on: December 23, 2010, 08:32:16 pm »
I had a 6cm tumor and had surgery in 2008 and then it started to regrow in 2010 and they did radiation.  Now I have the doctors in Cinti say I should wait on the radiation to work which is 6 mos ago.  The HEI (Dr. Freidmann)  say surgery because it is growing....what should i do?  Is necrosis good?  My symptoms are worse than the first tie when I had surgery.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:47:16 pm by tichinose »

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
Re: surgery - radiation- another surgery?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 08:05:55 am »
Wow, that's a tough situation. It's difficult enough when you're having to make the operation/wait decisions, even tougher when you get conflicting recommendations from two different sets of doctors. You are in our thoughts and prayers as you work on making this decision.

Sorry that I don't have any advice to help you. If it was my head, I'm thinking there are some questions that would help make the decision. Has there been growth, beyond the expected swelling, of the AN since the radiation? Are the symptoms ones that appear to be permanent or temporary? What is the current size and growth rate? What are the expected side effects of a second surgery versus the expected side effects of the radiation? Will waiting to see if the radiation worked make the surgical removal more difficult or easier?

I post these questions not with an expectation of posted answers but in an effort to support your decision the only way a stranger on the internet can...with moral support.

..thanks for being.. migoi
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:42:54 am »
Tichinose -

I don't know if you are a member of the ANA or not, but their latest newsletter (Notes) has an excellent article on the front page about regrowth treatment options.

You should check it out. 

Jan

PS - Migoi, long time no see.  Glad you're back!
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 12:13:35 pm »
Not being a doctor the only advice I can add is what my doctor told me about radiation.  He told me that it would take 12-18 months after radiation to see if the radiation did what it was suppose to do and stop the growth.  Only being 6 months past the radiation may not be enough time.

TJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 12:04:02 am »
Not being a doctor the only advice I can add is what my doctor told me about radiation.  He told me that it would take 12-18 months after radiation to see if the radiation did what it was suppose to do and stop the growth. 

When my doc and I discussed radiation, he told me the same thing.  He also said it could take 12-18 months before I experienced any side-effects from the radiation like balance issues, etc.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 02:09:42 pm »
Terri ~

Your situation is perplexing but you need to gain some perspective before making a decision.  I would definitely want to be quite certain that the alleged re-growth is real and not post-radiation swelling.  I concur with the doctor that advised waiting six months to check for verifiable tumor re-growth before jumping into another surgery.  However, if your symptoms are increasing and becoming debilitating, then you'll want to take another look at surgery, especially when recommended by the illustrious Dr. Friedman of HEI .  Tough call - and not one that anyone can make for you - but we understand your anxiety and hope that the supposed re-growth is proven to be swelling, which, as previous posters stated, is common at 6 months post-radiation.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tichinose

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 05:21:36 am »
The balance issue is the worse because  I went for cat scan on my face because i keep falling.  Headaches are a pain....the whole numbness on right side has effected my writing.  I have been given a cane and that is embarrassing.  How could 2 doctors on this board have 2 completely different opinions?  Somebody has to know I know my head and I feel their is regrowth....Steroids didnot help accept help my gain weight.  Now a strobe test nexst week because swallowing is impeared,  Well I am in Vegas making up my mind and i am thinking surgery

emom

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 10:17:30 am »
God bless, and am saying prayers for you.  AND for your doctors.  May you all find agreement and the right decision, and quickly.

emom