Author Topic: 6 months post-op - symptoms so frustrating  (Read 5841 times)

mch

6 months post-op - symptoms so frustrating
« on: November 02, 2007, 05:21:09 pm »
Hi,
I am now 6 months post op (retrosigmoid) small AN removed - SSD on left. I have been tackling all sorts of vestibular exercises - my balance has imporoved but due still feel challenged. At times feel clumsy when
dropping things or bumping chair or wall.  My biggest frustration and struggle is the daily constant fuzzy, tight head and then the ache through the neck. My head feels so heavy after working and concentrating at my jobs. I also become disoriented and spacey when in the shopping mall not as enjoyable as before or grocery store. I sometimes will take a tylenol or ibuprofren etc to see if it lifts but feel that it at times it makes it more fuzzy or wonky. Can be easily overwhelmed with loud noises, the vacumn etc., I have had some massage therapy, but then feel that it makes the neck even more sore and tight after. My husband has been so helpful with my emotional frustration and disappointment, I'm not myself. The inviisbile aftermath is discouraging -  Normally so capable and productive and able to manage it all. The aspects of post-op are with me from sunrise to sunset. Haven't taken any prescriptions as of yet - kinda leary to due to side effects etc., Not sure if this would help disapate or just temporary - suggestions, comments etc much appreciated !

Marcia

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: 6 months post-op - symptoms so frustrating
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 06:01:31 pm »
Hi there Marcia - Well, I know exactly how you feel, unfortunately because I'm still feeling it - 16+ months post op.  Still with the constant 'full feeling' in the head.  I didn't think it would be like this post op either (+ I've got total facial paralysis right side - going for surg. 11/20 to at least 'look' more normal).   I do find Aleve helps when the head stuffiness gets too much, but it doesn't last long...   As Pattibobatti says, 'are we having fun yet?'   One of the toughest things for me is when at work all the noise - I just want to hide under a rock!  Wish I had some suggestions for you - I did purchase a musician's plug when the noise level gets too much (it's fitted - had it done at the ENT dept. at the hosp. I went to -cost me $75., does help, but only a little, I can stick my finger in my ear & get almost the same results).  I go to the grocery store 1st thing on Sat/Sun mornings, before the crowds; & the mall? haven't been for months (& I need some new clothes soon!!).  Just keep putting one foot in front of the other (as best you can) - I'm glad you have someone (husband) to lean on (figuratively & literally).  Always good thoughts,  Nancy
ps:  oh, the balance issue WILL get better as time goes on (see, I knew there was something positive to say - geuss I'm just tired of it all....).   I don't take other meds, 'cept for the Xanax 0.25 mg on Sunday nights because I'm having insomnia problems again....think I'll look into an antidepressant after my surgery, need something to ward off this depression....
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 06:10:10 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 06:18:22 pm »

Marcia

Well I am at 10 weeks post op so I am not much of an experienced expert (yet  ;)).

The key is to walk everyday.

Power walk if you can and try to do this not just on sidewalks etc but also on uneven areas (fields, lawns etc). Practice stairs daily.

Carry an earplug (for your one good ear) with you at all times. I have bought packets of these and stashed these everywhere (purse, car, coat pocket, kitchen, next to hair dryer)…. I know that if I am around loudness (mowers, vacuums, people taking at once etc and in stores) my deaf ear gets tinnitus like crazy. Wind does this too...
Tinnitus is not just “ringing in the ears� here is a definition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus
Probably the worst is the refrigerated isle at the grocery store.

Put in the ear-plug when you are in these environments.

I find when I do this I come home with less fatigue and wonky head.
Wonky head definition (2 threads)
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5189.0
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=1612.0

Are you doing any physiotherapy? Some patients need this…

Have you ordered this book from the ANA yet?
Improving Balance Following Treatment for Acoustic Neuroma
(AN8)
Explains the causes of balance disturbance and offers exercises that patients can perform with the goal of improving balance function.

Price: $3.00

It has some good suggestions in it. (I found the neck exercises a killer… I was so stiff the day after but they are working)

Here is the link
https://secure.baxinternet.com/~anausa/for_sale.html

What sort of work are you doing?
Are you around florescent lights etc all day… and background noise?

4 (Fellow Canadian)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Catflower

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 03:37:46 pm »
Marcia:  I'm right there with you.  I'm also 6 months post and going to the exact same things you are.  I feel like I'm not me anymore and don't enjoy much of what I used to.  I went to the Mall today and thought I'd lose my mind before I could get out of there.  I've more or less just become a homebody because I can't tollerate any place where there's a lot of people and a lot of noise.  This is rough because my husband has a large extended family that likes to get together a lot.  I skipped my step-daugher's baby shower today because I knew if would just make me tired and grumpy (shall I say more grumpy than usual). 

I wish I could give you some helpful advice, but I haven't found any.  The only thing I know for sure is that it does help to know you're not in this alone.

Linda in WV

satman

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 06:51:08 am »
Keep doing the vestibular exercises, also do the physical therapy stuff,even if your
not in PT.
I dont know if you know my story and i wont bore you with all the details.
I did have a 8cm  left side and I have all the goodies that come with it.
This was in april and I am finally going back to work tomorrow.
If you keep doing your exercises things will one day catch you off guard , all these
things your dealing with will all of a sudden be a memory.

kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 08:56:02 am »
Satman Super duper trooper “8�. ;D

You are going back to work now?  This is awesome to read? :)

I drove the car yesterday (10 ½ weeks post op) … and the family thought I was fine (i.e. I did not appear to be a drunk driver and my vertigo/balance symptoms have improved tenfold)

We need to throw a party… However I am not yet ready to chew raw carrots sticks – besides my nose is not yet twitching. I’ll bring soft honey glazed carrots … What are you going to bring? … (food purchased at ‘the mall’ is not permitted LOL)

Your progress is wonderful to read … keep it up…Super Hero “8�

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 09:46:34 am »
WOW 4,

You are making progress by leaps and bounds.  I'm so proud of my Canadian sister!!!!   We are more than pretty faces aren't we?  Let me know when the nose starts twitching and we will of a  raw carrot party!!!
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

satman

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 09:50:19 am »
You 2 bring the carrots , I'll bring the Tequilla !
Carrots and tequilla ,sounds like a good mixture.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 10:52:49 am »
Hey - you guys may have a new drink going here:  liquefy the carrots & you've got Teqarrot shots!!
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 03:06:17 pm »
Nancy,

That is hilarious!

P.S. When is the extreme MO day?  ;)

(I love these characture buttons - it can do things my face can't yet - like wink  ;) smile  :) grin ;D on both sides... however I notice the tongue icon  :P sticks out only to one side as mine still does ... someone knew what they were doing when they programmed these in ... ;D and probably had first hand experience of what facial palsy is all about...)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 04:34:17 pm »
Hi, Marcia:

I'm sorry your recovery is not going as well as you would like.  As you probably know, this is not uncommon with post-op AN patients.  Time really does resolve many of these issues and the vestibular exercises help.  So does walking.  This I know from experience.  If malls and such are a challenge, go there more often but for short periods to acclimate your mind and body to the environment. It's a good excuse for shopping.  ;)

I would also suggest that you try not to focus on what you cannot do but on what you can.  Look for small victories.  Celebrate them.  Remember that your body, especially your skull, is healing from a traumatic disturbance.  Following my surgery, I had weird feelings in my skull/head that went on for months.  My surgeon reassured me this was a good thing, as it showed my skull was healing.  It was.  As he promised, the tightness and other feelings (including random quick, sharp pains - not headaches) all eventually resolved and are long gone now, almost 18 months later.  Yours will, too, I'm sure. 

Having an acoustic neuroma tumor removed is always fraught with problems but they can be surmounted, and you will, I'm sure.  Please stay connected here and let us know how you're doing.  We care - and we understand.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 05:12:58 pm »
Hi 4 - My surgery date is 11/20 - I can't wait!!!!!!   It feels like just yesterday I was meeting with the surgeon, I'm so glad time has been moving quickly.    It's been really hard quitting cigarettes for this, well, my lungs are happier!
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

satman

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 05:34:16 pm »
Good luck with the smokes Nancy,I have'nt had a cig since I quit in march,
but I did find out I had A N in april. If I would have known that I would have never quit.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 09:20:20 am »
Nancy,

Good for you to quit smoking!

AN'ers have enough things going on- last thing you need are more toxins added. You need to keep the body as healthy as possible.

I know how difficult it is for people to quit ... I had an aunt that could not and she passed way from cancer about a year and a half ago...

Besides nicotine, I am sure, will inhibit nerve regeneration. Replace the cigarettes with power walking when you need stress release or a stimulant… you will be so much healthier (and happier) for it.

Keep moving forward,

P.S. I still cannot stand the taste of coffee here at 10+ weeks- I think not having caffeine is a good thing for me.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 11:37:38 am »
Marcia (and others),

Try to get through the stress of the high seas on this AN journey ship with as little drugs as possible (pharmaceutical, prescribed or otherwise)… reach out and talk to people who understand (AND ARE POSITIVE). 

Marcia you wrote
“Haven't taken any prescriptions as of yet - kinda leary to due to side effects etc., Not sure if this would help disapate or just temporary - suggestions, comments etc much appreciated !�

If one feels they are heading into a “clinical depression� then drugs sometimes do have their place.
Clinical depression defined
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_depression

(Interesting that they put a Van Gogh painting on that link, for illustration, being that Vincent Van Gogh suffered from debilitating “tinnitus� …and his depression ended his life. His paintings have since been carefully examined and it is well known that this artist worked with many very toxic art materials – lead paints included)

“Tinnitus� defined
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

The key thing is to find people you can talk to (this ANA forum is good for that – even if some of us sailors feel drunk from simply walking in the wind)

Apparently these things should be avoided in tinnitus: caffeine, nicotine, salt and the consumption of alcohol

Resources that support this…
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=3374234
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Only-When-I-Eat-Tinnitus/dp/0951076906
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=9092280
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=8838550

I think the key is to carefully examine one’s lifestyle. Such obvious knowledge we all have: “a good nights sleep, consumer only nutritious foods, plenty of fresh air and exercise� we often neglect due to our hectic society of busy schedules. The key is when terribly tense moments arise try to find some wildly hysterical humor in the situation -if you can. Humor can be so therapeutic if used wisely and it does not get out-of-hand. Once thing I liked about the PCP (GP for those Canadian and European AN readers) doctor's office I chose is that they have this posted in their waiting room area, “Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much�

I believe it is from this original author (1904)
"He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much."
     Ã¢â‚¬â€Bessie Anderson Stanley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessie_Anderson_Stanley

Keep moving forward

4 :)