Author Topic: Update On Arushi a.k.a. Omaschwannoma  (Read 2378 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Update On Arushi a.k.a. Omaschwannoma
« on: December 28, 2009, 10:11:00 am »
Hello All,

I have not been around for quite some time, but have stopped in every once in awhile.  I wanted to pass along news of my most recent tests I had to FINALLY bring some closure to my ongoing symptoms of asleep and sound-induced vertigo (tullio syndrome).  I am posting this here as this has nothing to do with vestibular schwannomas, but for a while there my diagnosis was a possible tumor on my good side.  Other diagnosis' were hydrops, menier's, or dehiscence. 

At my doctors request, I sought out a 2nd opinion from Johns Hopkins.  They did not ask me to come to them, but rather send all films and reports.  So I did this, carefully and for $550 I got the controversial diagnosis of vestibular migraine and the MRI's and CT scan I had in my home town are of inferior quality to have them redone with better quality.  Dr. Carey instructed Dr. Antonelli to put patient on migraine diet and if this didn't work to seek out migraine doctor.  My doc and I cannot understand how he came to this diagnosis other than he saw on reports my having headaches.  So to appease him I am on migraine diet, no change with headaches.  They are still twice a month or rather more related to noisy environments and my own talking.  I do not, at this time, agree with the migraine diagnosis so will not go down the road of multiple pharmaceuticals with their problems as most patients I've read about still have their headaches in spite of pills.  I will be more diligent in avoiding noisy places and also will talk much less as even the sound of my voice causes problems.  Besides ibuprofen helps and I have not had problems there. 

Days before Christmas my doctor had me drive up to him where their machines are higher quality and their CT scanner has thinner slices.  The diagnosis is a good news/bad news scenario.  Bad news first, the CT shows bone thinning of temporal bone on the good side (Right side) so consistent with a dehiscence.  Also seen is possible otosclerosis.  Also looks like I had dehiscence and otosclerosis in my left (operated) ear.  None of which would've been known as I never had CT of temporal bones, only an MRI which showed tumor.  Also, the approach of retrosigmoid did not show all of what was needed to be seen in order to diagnose otosclerosis or dehiscence.  It's possible a mid-fossa approach would've shown all.  With my second surgery I did improve but not completely and symptoms increased over time.  I do not in anyway blame my doctor as no one could've predicted this nor forseen this. 

Good news is there is no tumor on the right, and no recurrent tumor on the left.  Dr. Antonelli is not happy and couldn't believe my response of "Yay!  We found it.  We have an answer!"  Again he reminded me of the seriousness, but I remain happy.  For now he is conservative in his approach and putting me on fluoride treatment in hopes of building bone.  We will reconnect in 4 months time. 

It's been a roller coaster ride since 2005!  I have given up teaching yoga as talking for more than 20 minutes has me feeling ill and headachey.  I continue to practice on my own and have introduced jogging twice weekly.  I am joined by a marine in our neighborhood and he's wonderful to "be my eyes" as my vision bounces terribly and looking left and right to cross streets has me veering off and stumbling.  I will miss him when he moves on to another base, but for now I'm happy to have "my watchdog" as I fondly refer to him. 

Another crappy diagnosis of recent is peripheral neuropathy of the feet and hands.  No known reason for this awful diagnosis.  This sets me up for falls, hence the reason to begin jogging to strengthen my legs, also I've purchased a used Bowflex to add more strength to my legs.  My yoga practice keeps me flexible and strengthens the whole muscle as opposed to partial.  So I am well-rounded in my exercise targeting as much as I can helping to prevent falls and it works.  I have been able to catch myself better avoiding going all the way down quite a few times.  I will keep this up until I cannot. 

On a side note, my hubby is in the process of readying our sailboat for his farewell sail as he refers to it.  He will go for 6 months.  I remain behind due to my problems increasing when the engine is running to keep up the refrigeration.   Besides, I have one very large bullmastiff that needs looking after here.  Business for him is wayyyy down.  He has not taken a paycheck in one year in order to keep 5 people employed as his partner did the same.  So it's an early retirement for him I'm afraid.  This is CHANGE we can do without!  When he returns we will sell our beloved saying goodbye to a lifestyle we both enjoyed for the seven years we had teaching our children and traveling the seven seas.  Time to move on I guess. 

Sorry for the long-winded version but wanted to cover all and update those interested.  I have since renamed myself "Omaschwannoma" and will look into changing that on this site, if possible.  Until later, stay well, and out of trouble! 

Karen
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Cheryl R

Re: Update On Arushi a.k.a. Omaschwannoma
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 10:45:55 am »
Karen,   I am sorry to hear of your latest diagnosis and having to live with  not the usual way past AN surgery.    Not having life to return to normal is not fun and not being able to know why is even harder.        It is good to have some answers now even if is not what one wants to hear.           I do hope some bone will come back for you.
  I was glad to have had the chance to meet you and your husband at a symposium.       I am sorry to hear of all the changes in both your lives.        That is too bad you will not to get to go his expediation.     
I have some neuropathy since my last surgery.      Very mild and less over time.      My family dr told me to try B vitamns and may have helped.         I have read that people with NF2 can have it so might be related also.   Mine was more feet and odd twitches in lower extremities.   
            I do hope that life can get better for you as has been not easy.                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 05:25:11 pm »
Kathy ~

Thanks for the update.  I'm sorry to learn of your post-op issues and your husband's business reversals that will negatively affect your lifestyle.  I can only offer my prayers for a permenant solution to your medical problems and a hope that things will eventually be favorably resolved and you can enjoy life without these physical burdens.  Your positive approach to everything you're dealing with is as sensible as it is admirable.  May you have a very good 2010!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 06:17:28 pm »
Karen,

It is good to hear from you, although it saddens me to learn of your health  complications.  You have always been a positive force on this forum with a kind word for those you've helped.  I'm glad you finally have a name for the problems you've been plagued with and can understand how that knowledge has made you feel better -- better to know the devil you are fighting.  Kkkkkeep in touch and stay as positive as you always have.  You are in my prayers.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 06:25:28 pm »
Karen,

Dr. Antonelli was also my doctor and I just think the world of him.  That being said, I'm sorry to hear that you have had problems since your surgery, but happy to hear that at least you know why.  It can be so frustrating to know there is something wrong and not know why; sometimes a diagnosis is at least a monster we can fight!  I truly hope the fluoride treatments are successful and help regenerate the bone. 

Your attitude is so admirable.  You seem to be keeping a sunny outlook even in the face of a tough fight.  I think that says so much about you and is such a prediction of how well you are going to come through this. 

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.