General Category > Inquiries

With these symptoms, could I possibly *not* have an acoustic neuroma?

<< < (3/8) > >>

Jill_S:
Late this afternoon, I received a call from the imaging center saying that approval from my insurance company was still "pending," so I need to reschedule.  :-[

Well, at least it hasn't been denied outright.

Just want to know!

PaulW:
Not sure what you pay for an MRI in the US these days, prices have plummeted in Australia.
My last MRI in Australia without any govt subsidy or insurance was usd $600 with and without contrast
That was in the latest 3t machine...
There is an old machine in town which is $275.
Damn insurance companies. Will probably cost everybody more arguing over the approval than the MRI itself

rupert:
They will supply you with ear plugs.  The noise really isn't that bad with plugs.  What I do is take some cold medicine or something to make me drowsy,  then just close my eyes and relax. If something like that affects you greatly, get someone to drive you.  They can also put a mirror in there.  If you open your eyes you don't see the tube you see out and can see the whole room giving it an open feeling. It's pretty uneventful if you just relax and close your eyes.  As far as being denied,  if it's a referral issue you might have to go back to the ENT and get a referral.  Good luck.

ppg01080:
Jill-
I have a 4mm x 7mm AN that is causing balance issues, hearing loss and taste issues among other problems. I was told by a neurosurgeon that he wouldn't recommend surgery because I have a very high risk of facial paralysis. It's interesting that you had to request an MRI. My diagnosis was textbook. I failed a hearing screening. I was referred to an audiologist. The audiologist said my results looked like a person with an AN and I was sent to have an MRI done.
Post when you get the results of the MRI. When I have an MRI done I take an anti anxiety drug. The last one my husband had to hold my hand because I panicked.
Patty

PaulW:
Unfortunately there are many reasons to cause hearing loss..
MRI's were previously thought to be too expensive to detect AN's
One study stated that detection rates were 1:100 for MRI's for hearing loss.
Therefor the cost of AN detection at the time the paper was written was $1,000,000 per AN
Unfortunately this thinking seems to have continued.
There are other cheap tests that can be done to improve the detection rates.
My doctor sent me for a CT-Scan which was "Suspect"
My ENT said he would not have referred me to an MRI with my hearing results, and it was only because of the CT scan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version