Author Topic: I'm scared  (Read 4516 times)

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
I'm scared
« on: June 18, 2009, 12:03:48 pm »
My doc in Chicago said that it's official--my AN is abutting the 5th cranial nerve and thus causing my Trigeminal Neuralgia.  He recommends the retro-sigmoid approach.  I am scared, very scared.  I want a second opinion and know that I'm not supposed to ask for recommendations, but anyone know a really really good AN surgeon in Chicago?  Dr. Wiet is hosting the convention along with my doc, Chandler, but anyone else?   Or maybe I should go to the House Clinic.  I don't know.  Right now I don't know anything.

Sharon

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: I'm scared
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 12:13:25 pm »
Hi Sharon .....

There are others who will answer on this, as well, because I do not know about AN surgeons in the Chicago area.  However, I do very much know about the awfulness of trigeminal neuralgia ...... and I wish for you a speedy surgery date.

I had very successful microvascular decompression surgery (via retrosigmoid approach) for trigeminal neuralgia 15 years ago in Pittsburgh.  The neurosurgeon who did mine is no longer practicing at UPMC.  The neurosurgeon who did my AN surgery is a professor at Duke University (he is also a visiting professor at WVU/Morgantown).  I went to Duke for my AN surgery and it was extremely successful.

I know others on this Forum have sent their MRIs/reports, etc. to House in LA for recommendations with no obligation to have them do the work.

Keep us posted on how things go.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

grega

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:13:41 pm »
Hi Sharon ..... first .... my prayers are with you!  

And even tho you express that you don't know anything, please keep in mind that you DO know that this is the proper place to express that fear  .... and also to ask for help.  Cause you WILL get a lotta feed back from the good folks here.

I'm on the east coast so I can't answer your question, but there are quite a few on this forum who DO know docs in your area.  I feel sure that they will come to your aid very shortly.

The best to you!

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 12:28:20 pm »
Thanks, Greg and Clarice.  I should also say that I'm willing to travel to get the best.  For something this important, that can affect so much of my life, I'd empty my bank account and crawl on my belly across the country earing pigtails!

Clarice, were the AN and TN related?

grega

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 12:38:00 pm »
Please Sharon .... you're too young for that!   ;D

I know you'll get info about docs in the Chicago area from the posters herein, but if you decide to venture elsewhere, Johns Hopkins in Balto also comes very highly recommended. 

Keeping you in our thoughts!

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 01:48:27 pm »
Hello, Sharon ~

Please accept my regrets for your AN diagnosis, which can be quite scary until you know more and have a plan in place to address this almost-always benign cranial tumor.  I would like to suggest that you post your search for Chicago-area AN doctors/surgeons on our 'Physicians' forum, http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?board=6.0 as well as using the 'search' function to seek surgeons in your area.  We have other Chicago-area AN patients who have undergone successful removal surgery ('leapyrtwins'- aka Jan, comes to mind) that will offer suggestions , too.

You're not alone and although this may seem like a dark time, we'll do all we can to shine the light of knowledge on your situation and support you all the way.  Be of good cheer - you're among friends!.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jeepers

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 01:53:46 pm »
Hi Sharon,

I'm in the Chicago 'burbs and am having my AN surgery with Dr. Wiet's colleague, Dr. Battista on July 9 at Hinsdale Hospital.  Jan (leapyrtwins is also a pt of Dr. Battista). When I was diagnosed 6 yrs back, I met with John Leonetti at Loyola and Battista in Hinsdale - the Ear Clinic also has an office in the city, I believe. All three have very good reps ... I just felt the most comfortable with Battista. His neurosurg is Dr. Kazan, who also comes very highly recommended. No need to belly crawl!  ;D

Battista did offer two surgical options, and I chose translab. Also, Battista also does GammaKnife at Alexian Brothers in Elk Grove Village. It's nice to have someone agreeable to both procedures, as much of the decision is based on what you seem to naturally be tending toward.

Try to stay calm - this place is great for providing good, sound information along with many positive prayers and vibes.  PM me if necessary - I'll be glad to share.

Good luck!
Jeepers
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 02:00:33 pm by Jeepers »
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 02:20:18 pm »
Sharon .....

As far as I know the TN & AN were unrelated, inasmuch as the TN was on my right side and the AN on the left.  Because of surgeries now on both sides, I am continuing to have balance issues.  It is very manageable, however ..... I just have had to greatly strengthen my visual and sensory motor aspects to compensate for the lack of vestibular function.  I also am extremely careful when standing up quickly or turning directions too quickly when walking.

My TN was caused from pressure by an artery and 2 veins on the 5th cranial nerve at the brain stem.  During that surgery, the two veins were clipped (to reroute) and the artery was braced up via teflon pads.  I awoke to be totally pain free for the first time in six months ..... what a relief!  That was 15 years ago and it has never returned ..... thank goodness!

Someone else on this Forum (I am embarrassed to say I cannot remember who .....) has had trigeminal neuralgia from their AN.  I am hoping they see this thread and chime in.  I am so grateful my AN was not pressing on the trigeminal nerve ..... my symptoms were unsteadiness and sudden hearing loss.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 02:25:05 pm »
Welcome.

Know that there are many great posties on this forum with a wealth of knowledge. Contacting Jan (username “leapyrtwins� ) is a good idea. I suggest also registering for the ANA symposium since you are already on that locale… where you can network with others.

There is also this support group that may be able to help you with the 5th nerve involvement of your tumor.

Quote from their website
"The mission of The Facial Pain Association (formerly The Trigeminal Neuralgia Association) is to serve as an advocate for patients living with neuropathic facial pain, including trigeminal neuralgia, by providing information, encouraging research and offering support."

Link
http://www.fpa-support.org/support/index.html

The surgeon I know of that is reputable for his dealings of tumors specifically involving the facial nerve(s) is Dr. Jack Kartush in Michigan. (He has the patent on the facial nerve probe used in surgeries). Here is his information
http://www.michiganear.com/about/jkartush.html

I sent him my MRI for an opinion. He gave me a consult- over the phone. I decided that this was too far for me to go from Oregon… and I did not want the “multiple surgeries� approach he suggested to me. (Now that I have facial nerve damage- I think differently… but I cannot turn back the clock and have to I have live with that choice I made - 2 years ago.) Send him your CD of you MRI with a covering letter- and see what he suggests. I know others on our forum- here, in that area, had good results with him with regards to facial nerve preservation…. Just a suggestion…

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 03:05:08 pm »
Sharon, welcome to the forum  ;D

things are crazy in my personal and business lives right now, so I haven't been around the forum much lately, but I was alerted by a fellow forumite about your plight.

I have no idea who Dr. Chandler is, but I recommend that you consult with Dr. Robert Battista.  Dr. Battista, IMO, is one of the best at treating AN's - he did a fantastic job with mine - and although he's at Chicago Ear with Dr. Wiet, he won't just echo Dr. Wiet's opinion.  He may agree with it, but that won't be because they are partners; and if he disagrees with it, he certainly won't hesitate to tell you.

As Jeepers told you, Dr. Robert Kazan - who incidentally is the only neurosurgeon that Wiet and Battista do AN surgeries with - is tops in his field and extremely well-known in the Chicago area. 

House is a great facility, but not all of us could - or would - go there given the chance.

I'm going to PM you my personal contact information, including my home phone number.  I'm generally there after 6:30 p.m. these days, but if I miss you, I'll call you back.

Stay strong; there is life after an AN.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lilan

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 06:38:49 pm »
Dr. Chandler is at Northwestern. A former colleague of mine had an AN radiated by him and she was very pleased with him.
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 07:23:17 pm »
Hi Sharon,

Sorry I can't help with doctors or recommendations on that, but just wanted to let you know that 3 weeks ago I had the Retrosigmoid surgery to remove my AN, which was VERY involved with my Trigeminal nerve.  It was causing shocks down my face which were unbearable.  Since the operation, I have had not one shock. Complete relief, much to MY relief!  Heaven to be done with those for good.  Because the tumor was so involved with that nerve, I do have a bit of 'numbness' (pins and needles) on that side of my face.  I'm hopeful that this will go away over time (I didn't have it before surgery, it's new since surgery.  I'm hoping the nerve heals).

Good luck with finding a surgeon you feel comfortable with.  I trust that when you do, your Trigeminal pain will be relieved too!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Keri

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 09:50:51 pm »
Hi Sharon,
I hope all these replies have helped give you some comfort. I wish you the best in finding the right doctor and hospital for treatment. It is scary, but many will be praying for you and encouraging you throughout this whole process.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 10:23:54 pm »
Dr. Chandler is at Northwestern. A former colleague of mine had an AN radiated by him and she was very pleased with him.

Interesting, both Wiet and Battista teach @ Northwestern - but I've never heard of Chandler before now.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways