Author Topic: BAHA turn on date  (Read 4158 times)

ombrerose4

BAHA turn on date
« on: February 18, 2010, 02:22:56 pm »
Yay, saw my neurotologist today and he said my post site looks great. We have set April 8th for the big day. Can't wait!!!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: BAHA turn on date
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 03:36:39 pm »
Congratulations, Lauren!   I added your BAHA turn-on day to the AN Treatment Calendar.  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d08/04/2010?authenticate=&display=M&style=B  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 05:23:26 pm »
Excellent news, Lauren!

BAHA Gotcha Days are incredible!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:52:13 am »
Great news...I just had mine two weeks ago....I've had the divino on trial and today I get the intenso to try...then on wed I choose whcih one...I know now it will be the intenso....
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 09:30:49 am »
Great news...I just had mine two weeks ago....I've had the divino on trial and today I get the intenso to try...then on wed I choose whcih one...I know now it will be the intenso....

Is the Intenso another name for the BP100 (the newest processor?)   Just curious, new to all this hearing device stuff.

Yay, saw my neurotologist today and he said my post site looks great. We have set April 8th for the big day. Can't wait!!!

Sounds exciting!  Wishing you the best!
Denise  :)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

tenai98

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 09:41:47 am »
Denise
the BP100 is the upgrade for the divino..The intenso is just a little stronger and intended I believe for those with not so perfect good ear...my good ear is a little deaf.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
Baha surgery sept 22/09
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 10:02:13 am »
Jo is right.

The BP100 just came out in August and it's an upgrade to the Divino.  In October, a hearing aid company called Oticon - out of New Jersey - made their first entry into the BAHA system with the Ponto Pro.  It's very similar to the BP100.

The Intenso, which is more powerful, is due to be upgraded by Cochlear this Spring.

If you're SSD and the hearing in your "normal" ear is good, the BP100 is generally your best bet.  The Intenso is typically used by those who have "compromised" hearing in their "good" ear.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 11:11:53 am »
O.k. now I get the Intenso thing.

I've been on most of the morning here.  Think I am going to start a topic of my questions and hopefully get replies. 

Jan, seems like I heard the BP100 is more digital vs. the older ones, is that what you are hearing..??
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 12:36:48 pm »
Denise
the BP100 has more bells and whistles and probably more digital as well, but like my audiologist said to me, most only use one or two channels...Find what bells and whistles work best and stay with it...I am trying an Old Classic BAHA until I get my intenso on Wed.  in dark brown to match my hair...but even with the tan colored ones and my short hair it is still difficult to see unless one is looking for it...and I believe the newer ones are thinner
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
Baha surgery sept 22/09
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 10:47:57 pm »
A long time ago the BAHA devices were analog as opposed to digital.  They've been digital for a while now.

The BP100 is highly programmable, which is why some have had issues with it before it was programmed to fit their needs.

It has 12 channels as opposed to the Divino that only has 2 (the new Oticon Ponto Pro has 10 channels).  These channels are what helps the wearer hear better in noisy and/or crowded rooms - they help filter out background sounds.  I tried the BP100 at the ANA Symposium in August and noticed an improvement over the Divino - I believe Lori did also.  We were able to try it with the MP3 adapter which was interesting.  The adapter was recently 1/2 price on the Cochlear website (thanks to Pooter for pointing this out) so I ordered one and am looking forward to using it.

I demo'd both the BP100 and the Ponto Pro @ my neurotologist's office in November to give him and his audiologists my take on them.  At that time I also decided which one I'll be upgrading to (the BP100).

The BP100 is thinner than the Divino, but only very slightly.  It has some features I'm not too wild about - like the battery cover that needs to be replaced every 6 months - but all in all, I think I'm going to love it as much as I currently love my Divino.

Jan

Mei Mei

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 02:31:36 pm »
Pardon my newbie ignorance to the BAHA, but when you mean turn on date, this means that when you have the surgery they don't sent you home with it on?   How much later do you have to wait till you turn it on?

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 05:35:20 pm »
Mei Mei,

The surgery is just to implant the titanium post into the skull.. Then, you have to wait for a period of time for the site of the implant to heal and the post to integrate with the bone of the skull..  Generally, you have to wait 90 days after the surgery before it's healed enough to put the processor (the part that you can generally see) onto the post..  Some doctors wait fewer days, some longer... it all depends on the patient, however generally it's about 90 days I believe.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Mei Mei

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 06:34:53 pm »
Thanks, Brian,   
They didn't tell me any of this at my appointment on Monday when I tried on the Intenso  This site is a wealth of information!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 10:13:32 pm »
Mei Mei -

Brian is right.  Most docs have you wait 90 days post op before letting you wear the device (processor) - basically the tiny hearing aid - because that's generally the time it takes for the abutment to calcify into the skull.  Until it's calcified sufficiently, the abutment isn't "cemented" into the skull enough to hold the device without moving around. 

Some docs will give their patients the device to take home with them at the time of the surgery.  Others like mine, keep it until the 90 days is up.  Guess my doc realizes how tempting it would be to try it out prematurely.  Either that or he just doesn't trust me  ;)  :D

Jan