Author Topic: an update on my son, deploying to Afghanistan Thursday  (Read 8974 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: an update on my son, deploying to Afghanistan Thursday
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 03:18:50 pm »
Keri, lots of prayers coming from NJ.  Our nephew (we don't have kids, so he is like our own) has done 2 tours in Iraq so I can understand at least a little of what you are feeling. 

Hugs to you and your family,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jill Marie

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 09:01:23 pm »
Keri,

As I mentioned on another thread, my son was in Afghanistan about 3 years ago, did 2 tours of Iraq before that so I understand how you are feeling now and will try and help you through this along with all the others here.  As someone else mentioned, getting packages really makes their day especially when they get enough to share.  Please feel free to send me his address when he gets one, if you can, I would love to send a package.  I don't miss my son being deployed but I do miss having someone I can send packages directly to.  My email address is in my profile.  One advantage I had was access to his email account so I could check and see if he had read an email that day even if he didn't email me, that way I knew he was ok.  I can't imagine what it was like in WWII where you didn't hear from your children for months on end.  Bet you are already looking forward to the Holidays when he will be home again!  Jill :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

lori67

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 01:34:56 pm »
Jill,

It wasn't even that long go that you wouldn't hear from your family for months.  Allowing e-mail is still a fairly new thing for the military.  My husband was on a deployment in 2002 and it was just beginning to be alllowed then.  It was very unpredictable and didn't work a lot of the time.  Because every e-mail had to be "scrubbed", meaning someone had to read them all to remove anything that could be considered inappropriate or not safe, by the time the e-mail actually go to you or your servicemember, it was very old news.  It wasn't much better than snail mail at that point.  MUCH better now though, thankfully!  I'm still amazed when I hear some of the young military wives talk about how they get phone calls from their deployed husbands every day!

Keri, you'll probably here from Scott more now than you did when he was in boot camp! And it sounds like he will have no shortage of goodie boxes!  If he comes home 100 lbs heavier than he left, you'll know he didn't share! 

But the best news....he's already one day closer to coming home!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 03:27:02 pm »
Jill,

It wasn't even that long go that you wouldn't hear from your family for months.  Allowing e-mail is still a fairly new thing for the military.  My husband was on a deployment in 2002 and it was just beginning to be alllowed then.  It was very unpredictable and didn't work a lot of the time.  Because every e-mail had to be "scrubbed", meaning someone had to read them all to remove anything that could be considered inappropriate or not safe, by the time the e-mail actually go to you or your servicemember, it was very old news.  It wasn't much better than snail mail at that point.  MUCH better now though, thankfully!  I'm still amazed when I hear some of the young military wives talk about how they get phone calls from their deployed husbands every day!

Keri, you'll probably here from Scott more now than you did when he was in boot camp! And it sounds like he will have no shortage of goodie boxes!  If he comes home 100 lbs heavier than he left, you'll know he didn't share! 

But the best news....he's already one day closer to coming home!

Lori

next (quarterly) round of goodie-boxes from our AFB are being prepped now... "Wingmen" gotta stick with "Wingmen" (and then some!).

Keri, Hang tough and know there are LOTS of hugglez (as you can clearly see in this thread) to help.

xoxoxoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Keri

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 04:04:53 pm »
thanks, everyone!
he didn't have a layover at BWI (close to me), but did in norfolk. so i flew down here this morning and have been hanging out with him all day at the airport. i'm in lori's neck of the woods! his schedule is still up in the air.
i think he'll leave on a charter first thing in the morning. right now, they're just hanging around the baggage claim area... they have most of their stuff, but their weapons were too heavy for their flight, and they're waiting for another flight to bring them in. it's 'hurry up and wait' mode... but i get to hang out with him, so that's the greatest!
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Keri

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 08:00:36 pm »
thanks, everyone. i got to see him thursday for about 7 hours. it was great. got to meet some of the others in his group as well.
thanks for you prayers and kind thought and encouragement! i haven't heard anything yet, nor do i know his address. i guess i'll get that ? well, whenever!
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Keri

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 09:50:31 am »
got my first call from scott today!! yay! it came at a time when i'm usually not at home. although i'm sure he would have tried my cell, it was a great call to get.

phyl, want to ask you in a pm more about offutt, etc. thanks for sharing!

i always have been concerned with my bad hearing (like if there's background noise) that i wouldn't be able to understand him but i could hear him just fine. i don't think he could hear me as well (lots of background noise on his end).

now i've got to get to getting a care package together to try to make it there for his 20th birthday (st patricks day). probably not very likely it will get there, but maybe a few days afterwards.

ikeri
My head feels weird!!

kraynok2

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 04:09:00 pm »
Kerri,
   I am late in catching up on this thread.  I am glad your son arrived safely and he was able to call you.  I have two boys who live in other states from me and that is hard enough.  I can't imagine them so far away in a war zone.  I see from these posts that you will have a lot of support here from people who have gone through this before.  I will be praying for your son.
Sandy