Author Topic: Ok, tell me please!  (Read 8192 times)

Yvette

• Yvette
Ok, tell me please!
« on: July 02, 2007, 08:07:48 pm »
Hi guys, How long before that "fat head" feeling, tightness, or as I remember one ANer aptly describing-the feeling of your head being over stuffed with packing material-feeling goes away? Especially after excertion, my head gets tight and over stuffed:-(   The feeling is not 24/7 as it was after surgery, but still occurs very often. How long will this go on? Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Ok, tell me please!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 05:11:02 am »
Yvette,
For me that "tight" feeling last for about three or four months.  It has been almost two years since my surgery and I still get that feeling if I am overly stressed or very tired.  I think it is different for each of us, as is almost everything else about this AN business.  I would ask the doc about it if it persists or you become really uncomfortable with it.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 10:26:03 am »
Hey Brendalu, thank you for the reply. Hey-what does the caption underneath the picture of your dogs refer to? Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

eugd

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:21:06 pm »
Yvette did that pocket ever resolve on its own or did you have any procedure?
Eugene- Age 32
2.15 cm mass on the right nerve removed via the retro on 12/20/06. D.C. from the House Ear Institute on 12/23/06. Dr. Freidman, & Dr. Shwartz. were the doctors. No post opt. vertigo, hearing loss  or facial nerves damage.  No major post opt headaches.

NF-2er

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 09:37:51 pm »
Hi Yvette;

I think each is individual. Thankfully it is not 24/7 for you. Mine lasted 2 or 3 months.
   I have read of some, however, some coming out of AN surgery having developed a type of migraine syndrome.
   If there was lost balance function, the feeling would take longer to resolve and come on easier.
   Hang in there, and if the otologist or neurosurgeon can't help, I'd see a neurologist if it were happening to me.

NF-2er

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 06:32:32 am »
Yvette,
I need to change the caption.  It referred to the pic I tried to post of my incision with the staples in it.  My grandkids thought it looked like a zipper and I told them it was so I could add my own fat whenever needed.  The picture you see now is my two Pugs, Saras' Sunshine Lady (fawn and ten years old) and Sophie LaRoo (black and fourteen months old).  Sara was my savior after my surgery and Sophie has made me smile on days I thought I didn't have anymore smiles left!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 06:01:01 pm »
Thank you everyone for the responses. To those who read my post but didn't reply-does this mean you do not get that tight feeling? Never did? I wonder:-/

Give your puppies a hug from me Brendalu, and Eugene, I emailed you. Take care guys, Yvette

p.s. If anyone was wondering, the fluid pocket I developed under the incision reabsorbed without any intervention. No serious exercise workouts for me-only walking and light stuff again.

Windsong

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 08:06:35 pm »
HI Yvette,
I get the tight feeling still after two years ( and I had rads not an op)  but it's an off and on again feeling..... I am not sure if it is  exacerbated with tiredness only but it seems that way... overdoing, not enough sleep, that sort of thing. It prickles too lol... not nice... but goes away....comes back...goes away.
W.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 08:24:28 am »
Hi Yvette,

Tightness on and off here too.  I'm 2.5 years post surgery.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 10:05:25 am »
Thank you everyone for the responses. To those who read my post but didn't reply-does this mean you do not get that tight feeling? Never did? I wonder:-/

Don't have to wonder about me!   ;)

The skin over my incision feeling tight for a few weeks post-op, but that's it.  I didn't reply because I can't relate to the sensation very well.  It seems we all have our own, personal reactions to these dang ANs...

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 10:30:20 am »
As someone said, I think everyone is different.  I am 5 1/2 weeks post-surgery and have never had a "tight" feeling.  Then again, the left side of my head is still fairly numb at this point.  My biggest problem is my left eye (AN was on left) which seems to get very tired and bloodshot.  It feels almost like eye strain.  I originally had double-vision for 3-4 days postsurgery, but not since then.  I also have no facial nerve damage, so I don't think that's part of the eye problem.   Anyone else have a problem with a "tired" eye?
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jimmy r

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 10:45:17 am »
I am 3 weeks post-op and do feel the tightness. I also still have bliurry vision, although sometimes it is ok.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 04:11:51 pm »
Thanks for the input guys, I was beginning to wonder if I was just "weird." This is such a great forum, the feedback is so helpful. Hey Leapyrtwins-I had double vision briefly after surgery, but it went away, tired eyes too. I'm 6 months out, and am just now getting the feeling back around the incision and my outer ear. Katie-does your incision itch? Have a great day everyone, Yvette

Cheryl R

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 08:51:17 am »
I have heard of ANers who did have a bit of eye problems even though they have no facial problems.      I am wondering if you would try some eye lubrication  it might help the eye.    There are tears which is the thinnest liquid and also one that is heavier gel that works very well.   Then one goes on to the gels in the tube for very dry eye or overnight use.        My personal favorite is the med weight gel and love Refresh Liquigel.         There are many brands and one can experiment.     There are some kinds with perservative in them that some people can not tolerate.    I like the one I use as it is in a bottle and not the little individual vials.         These are available in drug and discounts stores.    Target in  my area though doesn't sell the smaller bottle of the Refresh Liquigel ,only the bigger econmy size.    Luckily Walmart still does.   
   The mention of the bloodshot eye is what is making me wonder if a little dryness may be some of your problem.      You should see an eye doctor if trying lubrication doesn't work.     
                 Good luck in your recovery.                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 10:17:05 am »
Thanks for all the advice/suggestions about my eye.

I have used eye drops and they do help, so maybe it is dryness.  I'll definitely try some of the specific drops you suggest, Cheryl.

Jimmy R - all I can say is give it time.  My eyes were a problem for a while.  Originally I didn't want to open them because they hurt so much.  Then when I did open them, I tended to close one because it eliminated my double vision.  As the days have progressed, my eyes have gotten much better.   It took me about 3 weeks to start reading again.  It's not that I couldn't, but it was too uncomfortable.  It also took my eyes time to adjust to my new style of walking.  As I've gotten steadier, my eyes feel better.  Hang in there; and keep us posted on your progress.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways