Author Topic: weight loss, weight gain?  (Read 6544 times)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Re: weight loss, weight gain?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 02:26:03 pm »
Clifton. This is a reply I had made at an earlier time under a post that it really didn't belong under. Your subject of "weight loss, weight gain" is more appropriate for this.
Check it out........

Yes,
   I can relate to Mr. Moloney's situation somewhat. I too, am a musician yet have miraculously survived the AN debacle I was hit with. I'm deaf as a post in my left ear with rip-roaring tinnitus, double vision, facial numbness, equilibrium issues, a borg-like shunt permanently installed on the top of my cranium with subtle, yet gradually improving left-side difficulties, i.e.: impaired handwriting. Yet, I'm still playing music and playing it well. I'm back to jogging 5 miles every day with weight training and generally feel so good that I feel naturally high. I have boundless energy. I haven't taken so much as an aspirin in months! I sleep soundly at night.
   All my life I've been lean and well-toned with a high metabolism. I've never had to work at staying thin yet I always have exercised religiously.
I'm now 50 years old.
  I remember, in 1983 when I was 26, getting a physical at a company I was working at. I was in great shape. The doctor looked at me and asked, "You a track man?" To which I answered, "No,"( I didn't start jogging until I was 42 in 1999)I'm just naturally like this". He quipped, "Well, that will all change in about another 15 years when your metabolism starts to slow down". Well, I got some extra mileage out of it because I stayed pretty much the same size and weight up until my AN surgeries in 2005, age 48. While in the hospital, I lost a lot of weight - mostly muscle mass. During my recovery, my girlfriend and I went out to eat constantly. I never frequented more restaurants in my life as I did since my release from the hospital. In horror, I began to realize that I was gaining weight around my mid-section, developing a gut for the first time in my life. I no longer could fit into my 31" waist pants. My waist size went up to as much as 34". I was running and working out the whole time! I stopped eating out as much but still couldn't lose the weight. My weight increased from 155 to 182 or so; my blood pressure and cholesterol also went up but not to the point of having to take medication. Having long since established an exercise regimen and having a proclivity toward enjoying truly good and nutritious food, I knew that I could get things back under control without prescription medication.
  This year, we spent the entire winter down in Florida. I went running every night through January, February and March, drenched in sweat at 1-2am with a tank top and shorts on( too hot during the mid-day). I'd weigh myself every day. Still, no change.
  It wasn't until I came back home in April and simply cut out sugar for the first time. I lost 15 pounds in less than two weeks!! Even though I knew of the evils of sugar and listened to people lecture me about it, I would still cheat here and there: a little in my coffee mixed with the Splendor or a Mounds bar at night before jogging. It took an entire year for me to implement
a real dietary change in my lifestyle. Old habits die hard. I've learned that sugar, in certain respects, is actually worse than fat!
  Avoid everything that has "high fructose corn syrup" or anything "hydrogenated". That stuff is virtually poisonous and contains transfat which
is the worst. Avoid the poison elixers that they pass off to us as "soft drinks" and flavored juices. This stuff is loaded with chemicals and sugar.
Drink spring water, vegetable and tomato juice; orange juice or any "real" juice without that high fructose crap in it. When you're hungry, eat, but eat the right stuff : fruits, veggies and whole grains. Avoid sugar as if it was the plague. If you do this and exercise in conjunction with it all, you cannot lose anything but weight!!
  I'm very fortunate to live down the street from a chocolatier that has invented the first dark chocolate to taste good with a natural, non sugar sweetener. The sweetener is "stevia", a natural sweetener from the stevia plant. The chocolate is good for cholesterol health, high in antioxidants and promotes blood flow. His product costs a little more but so what? I just have a little every day and that's all I need. Besides, there's no sugar.
  I haven't been contributing much lately because I've been feeling really good - even in spite of the AN related hindrances that we all experience. I realized though that this being a support group, it is my obligation to report any development I may experience on to my fellow AN patients, to advise, help or even inspire in any way I can. I've been reading the posts and threads here and my heart goes out to everyone.
 After reading that link to Mr Moloney's situation, I realized how fortunate I am to have come through this as well as I did. I got hit just about as bad as you can from an Acoustic Neuroma with a huge tumor and hydrocephalus. How I got through that surgery without facial paralysis or any of the other more serious, customary maladies I don't know. I had some of the most experienced and skilled doctors in the business for one thing at Mass General; I know that certainly helped! I also know that I had a lot of people praying for me!
   Take care, Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Dfcman

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 10:37:51 pm »
yeah dude, I went from like 243 to 214....I don't think its all that great, its like all water weight.  I was gaining about a pound a day there for awhile.
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 07:53:23 am »
Hello Clifton,
  Like mamy people, I lost about 10 pounds after surgery (although I can't recommend it as a weight lose method  :D), mostly not feeling like eating much for a few days-- not that hospital food is that appetizing anyway.  The steroid (decadron), to prevent swelling, usually prescribed after surgery and then tapered off, will make you VERY hungry for a while.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW