Author Topic: Bone Anchored Preferences  (Read 4316 times)

Playnlife

Bone Anchored Preferences
« on: January 26, 2014, 01:15:20 am »
I’m not an Acoustic Neuroma person but I am SSD in right ear due to radiation treatment for residual ependymoma brain tumor post craniotomy.  My right hearing nerve has been intentionally killed by radiation to prevent tumor growth.  I’m going on 9 years stability and it’s time to do something about the hearing loss.  I have demo’d the Oticon Ponto Pro and the Cochlear Baha 3 which were both helpful with sending noise from my right side to my left (good) hearing nerve.  I know the Cochlear Baha 4 is coming out but they did not have a demo at the time.  Due to skull bone density reduction due to radiation I may not be a candidate for the Cochlear Baha 4 version with the magnetic processor attachment even though that sounds extremely valuable to me since you don’t have an abutment sticking out of your head meaning the risk for skin irritation/infection would be much less.  The biggest difference to me is the feedback.   Baha 3 is much more inclined to produce feedback than the Ponto Pro.  The Baha feedback makes me cringe every time I lean my head back on the couch, have a coat with a high neck, or anything gets in proximity of this thing.  Not so with the Ponto Pro.

Does anyone have further information on the ability of the Oticon post and abutment to fit the Cochlear 4 processor should I decide that I do not like the Oticon Ponto Pro?  I know the Cochlear changed the BAHA fitting a couple years back but I cannot find if a BAHA 4 would fit an Oticon post/abutment.  The surgeon will already be dodging titanium brackets due to the craniotomy so having flexibility to wear either in the future is highly desirable since I am in my 30’s and will likely have this for 30+ years.  I do not have ample skull locations to have the post reset in the future.

If anyone is going from an Oticon Ponto to a BAHA 4 I would love to hear the why to help make my decision.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:07:48 pm by Playnlife »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Bone Anchored Preferences
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 05:56:20 pm »
I don't believe a BAHA 4 would fit on an Oticon post/abutment.  Cochlear changed their "equipment" shortly after the BP100 was released because they didn't want Oticon patients mixing and matching processors and equipment.

I demo'd both the Cochlear BP100 and the Ponto Pro over 2+ years ago and found them to be relatively similar.  I chose the BP100 because I'm a tried and true Cochlear customer.  The BAHA 3 you tried shouldn't have produced more feedback than a Ponto Pro; I'm guessing it wasn't programmed correctly.

My BP100 has virtually no feedback - I can place my entire hand on top of my BP100 when it's attached to my head and it won't even squeal.  And that's because it's been programmed correctly. 

The abutment "sticking out of your head" isn't really an issue - it only sticks up slightly (probably less than 1/8") and honestly you never even notice it.  I think Cochlear was smart to go with a magnetic attachment for the BAHA 4, but it's definitely an issue for those of us who had ANs - since we need MRIs and magnets and MRIs are a no-no.

Jan 

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Playnlife

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 09:39:23 am »
Thanks Jan!  I was wondering about the new BAHA fitting the Oticon abutment.  Oticon is still activity marketing that strategy but I guess unless you be interested in a several year old Cochlear BAHA it’s not going to make sense.  I did ask my neuro-otologic surgeon if the new magnetic BAHA could go through an MRI machine.  He did some calling with Cochlear and said they could.  It still won’t likely make sense for me due to that magnet causing MRI noise around the area they would be looking for any tumor, but I still think it sounds super cool.  They do make the Cochlear BAHA 4 with the old style post/abutment right? 

Can anyone comment on the trade-up in processor experience from either Oticon or Cochlear?  I understand most of the time insurance will pay for the initial surgery and device but not sure about getting new processors in 5 years or so.

Terri

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 01:00:48 pm »
I cannot answer your question about upgrading with the Ponto Pro systems because I need to call them myself to see if I am eligible for their new product.  See:  http://www.oticonmedical.com/Medical/About%20Oticon%20Medical/News/ponto-plus-launch-pr.aspx

I have worn the Oticon Medical Ponto Pro since August, 2011, with zero problems.  I love it!  I basically snap the processor on after my shower in the morning and do not even think about it again until I take it off to go to bed.  Best decision I ever made.

I am beginning to experience additional hearing loss in my "good" ear so I need to ask if the Ponto Pro Plus might be indicated for me now.  Stay tuned.

Clarice

You are correct that the Oticon Medical abutment will not work with the newer Cochlear products.
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 03:32:46 pm »
They do make the Cochlear BAHA 4 with the old style post/abutment right? 

Can anyone comment on the trade-up in processor experience from either Oticon or Cochlear?  I understand most of the time insurance will pay for the initial surgery and device but not sure about getting new processors in 5 years or so.

I would imagine Cochlear still makes the "old style" post/abutment; haven't had time recently to check in with my connections there.

When I upgraded from my Divino to my BP100 I used funds I had in my FSA plan @ work; didn't approach my insurance company about coverage because my Divino was only a little over a year old.  But, I have heard that most insurance companies (that pay for the initial surgery and device) will cover a new processor every 5 years.   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Playnlife

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 02:29:44 pm »
I'm taking the bionic plunge on Thursday with an Oticon Ponto Post surgery. Anyone have a post-post implant recommendations? I'm hoping for boring, speedy osseointegration, and better hearing soon.  Thanks!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:19:10 pm »
Yaaaay ....  Glad you are taking the bionic plunge!  My post was implanted at the same time as my translab surgery.  Dr. Friedman took the protective disc off the post at the same time he removed the surgery stitches.  Main instructions from him were to keep it clean during the healing/osseointegration process.  I had zero problems with mine.  I did wait over 2 1/2 months to attach the processor, although some docs are OKing it earlier now.  Much depends on how quickly you osseointegrate.  I was really fully osseointegrated much sooner ..... just did not want to risk having a problem.

Your doctor will have specific instructions for you to follow, I am sure.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery and on to better hearing soon!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011