Author Topic: 5 1/2 months post-op update  (Read 2621 times)

ANrookie

5 1/2 months post-op update
« on: May 26, 2010, 04:32:41 pm »
Hi all,

It's been a long while since I've posted on this forum.  Other members were right when they told me that life does go on after having brain surgery.  I am 5 and a half months post-op and life is great and back to "normal". I've adjusted to having little hearing in my left ear, it is a little tough in noisey places but it's not as bad as I thought.  Now I have an excuse to ignore people who I really don't want to talk to, LOL! My facial paralysis/ weakeness is now almost all gone,  I would say the left side of my face is like 95% back to normal (I can smile my full smile now I just can't whistle any more...oh well, no biggie). 

My 4 month follow-up MRI only showed scar tissue which was a true blessing, so next MRI is set for next year.  At that doctor's appointment, I asked my neurosurgeon Dr. Giannotta  if I was clear to go skydiving.  He thought I was crazy but gave me his blessing and medical clearance.  So at 4 months post-op, I took to the sky 13,000 feet up and jumped out of a perfectly good plane.  The experience was like no other and the adrenaline rush was amazing.  Going through a life altering experience like we have gone through makes you appreciate life more and you learn to live life to its fullest.  I believe everything happens for a reason, and being diagnosed with an accoustic neuroma and going through brain surgery is a blessing in many ways. I've learned a lot about myself through this experience and it has shown me how fortunate I am to have such loving family and group of friends. I am now back to running and plan on doing a half marathon in the fall.   To celebrate my recovery, I am going to South Africa in a few days to watch the FIFA World Cup and partake in other African adventures. :)

I just wanted to let other accoustic neuroma patients know that you will survive this and come out stronger than ever.  Take care everyone!
Left side AN 1.5cm x 0.95 cm; Diagnosed 08/31/09        Retrosigmoid 12/11/09 Dr. Giannotta @USC University Hospital; Complete tumor removal; preserved nerve; facial weakness x3 months...smiling again :)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: 5 1/2 months post-op update
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:20:32 pm »
Wow Cathy, sounds like you are doing SUPER DUPER!  Glad to hear things are going swimmingly.  After reading your post, I almost felt inspired to take on similar challenges, but alas, tackling corporate America is daunting enough for now.  You and I were a couple of days apart, and aside from feeling slightly wonky on a few occasions, I am doing pretty good myself.  Thanks for the update and hope Africa treats you well!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

moe

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 10:17:05 pm »
Wow what a great recovery and inspiration for others!
So happy for you. did you go skydiving tandem or alone? I can tell you are very adventurous and glad to see the AN hasn't held you back.
Good luck as you continue on life!
maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:45:36 pm »
Cathy ~

I'm delighted to learn of your robust recovery and appreciate you're sharing your AN post-op experience with us.  I'm sure it will encourage and strengthen those facing AN surgery with trepidation as well as those struggling with post-op issues.  Enjoy the soccer games in South Africa!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 07:42:14 pm »
Fantastic!!!!!!  I can't get enough of these encouraging posts and yes life does go on  ;D
Have a great time in Africa and enjoy all the FIFA action you can handle and throw a safari or two in there.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

jennifer7

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 10:27:42 am »
Thank you for sharing your encouraging recovery.  I agree it is a life altering experience. 
Enjoy Africa :)