Author Topic: eye ointment  (Read 5191 times)

Karen

eye ointment
« on: December 13, 2013, 11:19:41 am »
I had cataract surgery on my dry eye and now have a extremely dry eye and have to use refresh pm oinment every hour.  how do u keep your eye from looking all greasy? any ideas?
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

mandy721

Re: eye ointment
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 08:30:34 pm »
Hi Karen,
I can't speak to how to keep the eye from looking greasy, but wanted to mention that my husband uses Refresh Liquigel drops throughout the day.  They are thicker and more lubricating than regular Refresh.  He uses Refresh PM at night.  I don't think the impact of eye issues post surgery are really understood.  It is one of the hardest problems to deal with.
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

elsie

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 05:22:57 pm »
boy, mandy, do i agree on that!

i use ointment during the day, there are times when i feel that i could put a whole tube in and i still wouldn't get relief.  i just found two "duh" things that help - a good night's sleep (life long insomnia, when i went on sleeping pils, i also got great eye relief) and wearing a patch at night - i thought my eye was closing enough and didn't wear one for 24 years until this summer.  BIG mistake, anything less than full, normal eye closure should mandate one.

now to your question...i wasn't going to let this thing stop me from wearing eye make-up, so i learned to use the stuff carefully.  pull down the lower lid to make a pocket.  use only a small amount (it is usually enough from when you squeeze the tube gently, you just see a bubble at the opening).  put it in the pink area of the pocket.  there are days when it does overflow from the inner corner of my eye, but i am in the habit now of gently wiping it away.  you may also want to try different brands, i notice suble differences between them.  i have found that putting a greater amount of goop in at one time doesn't really bring me any greater relief, so i keep the amount smalland get the bonus of keeping
my make-up neat!

good luck
Very large AN removed Aug., 1988 - pushed cerebellum aside, touching brain stem
Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale did 12 hour surgery, got it all
Total right-side facial paralysis for 6 months, 50 - 75% return
Extreme dry eye and tinnitus in both ears
Lost all hearing in AN ear
1/8/14  AN Regrowth confirmed

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 07:18:45 pm »
Before I got my scleral lens I wore Refresh PM around the clock. I gave up fighting the greasy look. It was just always there.

You might try TheraTears Gel eye drops. I use them at night now with a Quartz eye shield. They seem to have the most staying power for me.

Best,
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

anneliesevanston

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:51:08 am »
I use Lacrilube ointment at night and tape my eyelid closed for protection. The eye  MD also put in a clear "bandaid" lens to help keep the eye safe. I have become used to the blurred vision and wet look. The eye MD suggested wait to put a weight in.
Anneliese
2.8 cm tumor diagnosed 5/2010
Gamma Knife done 8/2010
>3.5 cm tumor partial removal 1/21/14
Facial paralysis

Brewers7

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 02:07:29 pm »
I have had a weight put in twice.  The first one was a gold weight.  I did not like it because it was thick and noticeable.  Now I have a platinum weight.  It is thinner and less visible.  It helps some with dryness; however, I still use ointment daily.

One additional tip:  use the ointment just before showering.  This allows time for excess to drain below your eye, thus allowing you to wipe away the excess. 

If makeup is still a problem, you might consider "permanent makeup."  I got tired of the problem with running eyeliner and mascara, so I had it done and I have been VERY pleased.  I have posted about it previously. 
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010