Author Topic: Post-surgery Progress Report  (Read 5832 times)

Handma1d

Post-surgery Progress Report
« on: June 14, 2012, 02:05:39 pm »
Greetings,
It is my 3 week post-surgery anniversary today.
It is soooo good to be on the rehab side of things!
My surgeons removed a "jelly bean" size neuroma from my ride inner ear canal.
The pre-surgical mri and my symptoms suggested that the neuroma was located on the cochlear nerve but it turned out to be attached to my vestibular nerve. Thus, alhough the surgery itself left me deaf on the right side, they were able to remove all of the neuroma (yep, I asked for pictures and saw for myself) and still leave the cochlear nerve intact. This is great because if anything should ever happen to my hearing on the left side (God forbid) they can install a BAJA implant and see if they can get any sound for me.
I had opted not to have a BAJA installed because my second opinion surgeon, Dr. Arts, at U. of MI. shared with me that many folks do not like them and end up not using them - leaving the risk of infection at the implant site for no reason. Post-surgically, I remain happy with that choice. I had already lost most of my hearing on that side before surgery and had made my adjustments.
Regarding one-sided balance issues, I am adapting just fine. I am able to walk with my dog up to 1/4 mile daily as of yesterday! We (that is me) are still slow and a little wobbly but we meet our goals. I think that a critical factor in my recovery was that my dog, Ruby, and I walked daily before surgery to work through the vertigo - it was way bad before surgery but I wanted my brain to make it's adjustments as much as possible before surgery. It also kept me in shape - I was hoping to offset muscle strength losses post- surgically. It really helped!
I was in the hospital a week and have been home for two weeks. I started walking just my block. I still tire easily - after our walk I rest most of the day and/or do light chores and activities so as not to overdo.
Another pre/post activity I did/do is playing Wii games to help my brain work through vertigo. It really helps! I recently read some literature stating that doing things with your non-dominant hand helps the brain also so I have been using either hand throughout the day. My goal is to beat/match all my dominant hand high scores   :)  I still have a ways to go on that, however.
I do have some facial droopiness on my right side but I am doing all my exercises and it improves daily. Doc says he expects that I will regain 90% of that back over time. My right eye feels dry lately so I will check with him on what to do.
I am experiencing frequent low-grade headaches, but that is improving also. Tylenol X-strength helps alot but not totally. Patience, rehab and rest, I guess, eh? I also felt my vision was not quite as good at first after surgery but that seems to be dissipating - vision was really wonky before surgery.
One thing that does concern me is some mild to moderate intention tremors when using my left hand. It is my dominant hand and does not fit the AN profile for a neuroma the size of what I had. I will ask my neurosurgeon about it at my 6 week check up. Anyone else have this problem?
Although I am doing great regarding balance, I decided to do some rehab at the re-balance training center - it starts in two weeks. I want to make sure that I am not overlooking any exercises that will help me along the road to recovery. Given the hard economic times, I can't afford alot of rehab but I figure if they can teach me what to do, I can do the exercises at home.
Anyway, I am posting my results because reading about other forum members experiences before my surgery really helped me understand what I was going through and what to expect after surgery.
I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan. My ENT surgeon was Dr. Robert Daniels and my neurosurgeon was Dr. Bryan Figeroa. I would recommend them anytime. Dr. D. is a mite low on bedside manner but is one great surgeon. If you happen to live in/near eastern Michigan, Dr. Henry Arts at the U. of MI. is outstanding as well.
God bless, ya'll,
Diane

LakeErie

Re: Post-surgery Progress Report
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 03:38:24 pm »
Congratulations on your successful surgery and your progress in recovery so far. I focused on one aspect you mentioned, your left hand. I have no idea if our circumstances are the same, but my right hand became very weak weeks after surgery, my little and ring fingers were numb on the inside and the tips were too, I could not move my little finger at all and it stuck out to the side. The problem was the A-line in my right wrist during surgery compressed a nerve. The A-line is an arterial catheter inserted  to monitor blood pressure and blood gasses during surgery. It was months before I could use the hand to unlock my front door for example. The very first symptoms were fine tremors when I would extend my hand to do anything. My hand and fingers are back to normal strength and dexterity, but the finger tips remain a little numb.
Keep progressing, it gets better and better overall in my experience.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 05:37:21 pm »
Diane, you can buy over the counter lubricants for the eye and do not need to ask the dr to get them.      All stores like Walmart and Target carry them plus drug stores.     There can be damage to the cornea when continue to be dry.    There are many brands.     You may want to experiment with what works best for you.      There are a heavier gel type which is better for day use.      The lightweight tears one are not the best to use at this time.    There is a heavier tube gel for night time use.   If your eye closes all the way then put the tube gel in at night and all you need to do at night.  Some have to tape the eye shut at night also.          I have never been bothered by some kinds which have preservatives in them.     You would know if the eye felt worse and red after using such a one.   My favorite has been Refresh products but others use other brands too.              Sounds like you are doing well in your recovery.        Noises and the fatigue improve over time.       I am in Iowa but have a daughter in Lansing so have made a few trips to MI.   There is Denise who is in Ludington but is more on Facebook I am thinking.
           I hope your recovery continues to go well  but the eye sounds like needs some attention very soon.                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Handma1d

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:38:07 pm »
Lake Erie and Cheryl R,
Thanks for the input! I will hang in there with the hand tremors and ask my partner for a lift ( I look forward to driving again!) to the pharmacy tonight for the eye gel you recommended. I feel encouraged by your advice and plan to "keep on keeping on."
Peace,
Diane

JW123

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:46:40 pm »
The Wii strategy sounds like a good and fun rehab idea. You should pick up the Wii balance board. I know there are some snowboarding games and yoga balance games out there. They might help. I had one I used before the surgery, now I am thinking I should get it back out and try it again.
Left side VS - 2.0 x 2.7
Retrosigmoid on Oct 17th 2011
Surgery at Mayo Clinic with Dr. Link & Dr. Driscoll
SSD left side, delayed temporary facial weakness, ongoing severe headaches.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 05:23:01 am »
Hi Diane, welcome to postie-land! :)  Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on taking care of yourself...small steps is the way to go!  Just keep listening to your body and before you know it, it'll be a distant memory!  Take care and keep us updated!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 03:37:33 pm »
Diane,
Welcome to the world of Posties.   You are amongst the most wonderful and supportive people in the world.  I'm so happy to hear of your successful surgery and am sure with baby steps you will recover fully.   Take Cheryl R. 's  recommendations as she is most knowledgeable coming from a nursing background.
Hugs,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 02:53:08 pm »
Congratulations on your successful surgery.

Sounds like you have great docs, but I have to disagree with people not liking the BAHA (bone-anchored hearing aid). 

Most people who have the BAHA implant like it and think the surgery was well worth it.  At the time I had my implant done (over 4 years ago now), my doc had done over 200 implants and only 1 of his patients decided after the fact that the BAHA just wasn't for her.  That spoke volumes to me when I was making my decision and I've never been sorry.

Some docs are pro-BAHA, some aren't; but I've found that those who aren't, typically don't know a whole lot about them.

If you find over time that you want to do something about your SSD, I strongly recommend demo'ing a BAHA.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Handma1d

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 01:29:03 pm »
Thanks Ya'll for your words of encouragement! I tried the eye gel, Cheryl, and it works great. Jan, yeah, my primary ENT surgeon was pro BAJA and my second opinion ENT surgeon stated what I had posted earlier. Both docs have well over twenty years experience so I prayed and went with my instincts. I am doing okay adjusting so far without the BAJA but it is indeed challenging figuring where sounds are coming from with the SSD. I'm going to hang in there for awhile as is - it feels like the right choice for me, don't ask me why - but I totally believe what you are saying to me. If I can't adjust - I do feel quite vulnerable out in the real world right now - I will try the BAJA. Thanks for the input. As for me, one small step at a time... : )
Peace,
Diane

It is what it is

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 08:51:17 pm »
Thanks for posting your update.  It's wonderful to see how others are there to offer suggestions and support. I haven't had surgery yet but I am adding my support.  Please keep sending updates. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Handma1d

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 09:47:40 am »
Hi Ya'll,
I'm now at 4 1/2 weeks post surgery. I had my first vestibular re-training therapy session this morning and am glad that I went. Although I have been making steady progress daily on my own, (life does seem to provide countless opportunities to work on balance)   :)  the therapist put me through my paces and we were able to identify areas I need to work on that would not have occurred to me. I have lots of homework! Overall, I feel pretty darn good, thank God! I haven't had a headache for three days and yesterday, for several hours, I did not have ANY tinnitus!!! Yippee! I have some today but it's not as loud as it used to be. It felt sooo peaceful to just hear regular life sounds - even if I only hear them on one side. I have some dry eye issues, some left hand tremors and my head feels a little wonky if I overdo, but that's the worst of it at this point. Anyway, I feel very hopeful. The last year definitely took it's toll and I'm ready to get on with life with my new "normal."  Thanks for listening!
Peace,
Diane

Handma1d

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 10:15:04 am »
Howdy All,
Saw both my surgeons for my 6 week (actually it is closer to 8 weeks) check-up this week. I received a clean bill of health - all thanks to God! I am scheduled for a 6 month MRI, then once every 5 years at this point. I completed balance re-training tx and I feel great. I am being patient with myself as I make my adjustments, and feel very blessed indeed with my outcome. This forum has been invaluable to me - thanks, ya'll, for sharing part of your lives with me! God's blessings to each of you! Will keep you posted...stay tuned! LOL.
Peace,
Diane

It is what it is

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 10:46:44 am »
Great news!

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 01:15:46 pm »
Diane ~

Congratulations on your excellent recovery and thank you for sharing your experience with us.  Your contributions here are much appreciated.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.