Author Topic: Skiping MRI  (Read 7323 times)

Mickey

Skiping MRI
« on: August 17, 2012, 02:31:35 pm »
After 5 years of MRI`s and discussion with my doctor I`m going to bypass this yearly MRI. The reasons why are that I`m feeling good with symptoms at low point since diognosed. I`ll have no problem with any quality of life and will only intervine if things change along they way to my next scheuled MRI next year. Keeping the faith of the Wait and Watch Brigade.... Best wishes , Mickey

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Skiping MRI
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 04:52:32 pm »
You've mentioned in other posts that your AN has been stable at 1 cm for the past 5 years and that your doctor has endorsed skipping an MRI.

Seems that's what all of us Watch and Waiters can hope for.

Best wishes to you, too.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Derek

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 05:22:58 pm »
Hi Mickey...

A great step forward for you. Good to see that you have the full confidence in your Doctor's advice. Your self belief and determination to beat the 'enemy' is to be admired. Very inspirational Mickey.

Best Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 05:26:17 pm »
Hi, that is great news but just a thought it is only once a year so why not still do it ???.... You can make a day of it and go see a play and out to dinner...Just want to make sure that is the best thing to do and I am sure there will be no change and you know your own body but I always have a "but"..or have it done locally I am just being cautious and concerned ....

Best Wishes,

Me
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Mickey

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 06:26:41 pm »
According to discussions I`ve had its highly unlikely to be feeling better and your AN getting bigger. Although you do make sense to me and I do appreciate your concern. I`m going for another hearing test which I don`t think has changed. If it has I`ll reconcider.. Me, I guess you can also know some truth in" I just don`t like MRIs ".. lol. All the best, Mickey P.S. Thanks everyone

teripo

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 08:51:11 am »
Mickey,
 I also am in W/W status.You are also an inspiration to me.I spoke on the phone and met you at the meeting.I am very happy mine didnt grow in a year and just have some hearing loss.I had balance and dizzy for a short time but they mostly are better.I ride bike with my granddaughter on the seat in the back,last year I was wobbly but now ok.I know the AN is borderline at 1.8 but I feel I have more time and Im hoping it does shrink! Which is a new idea! Thanks Teri.[I'm the one with the child at the meeting ,thats why I have not been there.]

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 05:15:34 pm »
According to discussions I`ve had its highly unlikely to be feeling better and your AN getting bigger. Although you do make sense to me and I do appreciate your concern. I`m going for another hearing test which I don`t think has changed. If it has I`ll reconcider.. Me, I guess you can also know some truth in" I just don`t like MRIs ".. lol. All the best, Mickey P.S. Thanks everyone

I forgot who " me " was....lol.....I know even though it is once a year it is a pain and a dreaded visit....Like I said you know your body so well and the way you have been going I am positive it will continue to remain the same. I just wished I knew you had one prior to my journey and I would have chosen the route that you have done but I am definitely doing it now with and for 3 years mine has remained the same. I just hope that you are still going to continue with the meetings and continue to share your journey.

Best Wishes,

Me
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jackie

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 05:32:40 pm »
Hello Mickey,

You and I seem to be somewhat neck and neck with our journeys! It was 5 years ago last January when I was diagnosed. I HATE going through the MRI process too! I understand your skipping it this time around especially since your symptoms are and have been stable from the beginning, along with no growth! I hope that continues for you and all of us who are Watch and Wait, hoping our waiting will be for "Nothing happening"!!! I join Derek in congratulating you on your brave inspirational journey! And Derek, if you read this, you continue to be my biggest hero!

Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

G_Man

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 10:03:34 pm »
Mickey
      You know I can't read this post and not open my big YAP!  If you have been going along fairly well for a couple of years and your doctor is comfortable as well then why not. 
I hate the MRI's too.  Every year I dread them but I go because I want to know I'm clear.  Each year that goes by I feel a little less nervous about the possible outcome.  I'm a few years behind you but I will consider following in your footsteps as well.         I'm hoping that when I hit my 5 year mark I will continue to have the same level of symptoms or maybe less. 
       I think all of us in the W + W game can agree that this thing is always in the back of our minds.  We know that it can turn any day.  To borrow from Showtime's Dexter, "It is my dark passenger". 
       Stay well my friend.  Hope to see you in September at the luncheon.
Glen
PS I wonder if anyone makes blueberry beer???
Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.

Derek

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 02:33:05 am »

... I join Derek in congratulating you on your brave inspirational journey! And Derek, if you read this, you continue to be my biggest hero!

Jackie

Thanks for your nice comment Jackie... greatly appreciated :-*...it is so important that we continue to offer support and encouragement to others who are considering or who choose the W & W route.

Best Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

teripo

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 05:52:22 am »
Derek,
 Thanks so much for the hope.I am 1.8 diagnosed last year. Didnt grow in a year.I'm hoping mine srinks too.I am 55 and it doesnt really bother me for it to make a home in my head with the current choices available.Thanks again.Teri

sunfish

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 07:47:17 am »
Mickey
       To borrow from Showtime's Dexter, "It is my dark passenger". 

"Dark Passenger" - I like that!  I get my (fried) Dark Passenger MRI'ed next month.  I like the MRI machine.  You lay down and take a rest during the day (I never do).  I feel like I'm hiding out from my boss, work, cellphones, etc.!  I always say to the MRI techs, "Don't tell anyone I'm in here!"
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Mickey

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 09:02:57 am »
Lets all stay in tune with the Wait + Wach Brigade! It`s a great source of information which everyone should look at whatever your decision may be. It also applies to after treatment with so much info to keep you in a healthy lifestyle. All the best to our AN family.... Mickey  P.S.  G Man, Blueberry beer sounds great in moderation! The benifical ingredients in blueberrys for the brain are outstanding.

Derek

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 12:13:17 pm »
Derek,
 Thanks so much for the hope.I am 1.8 diagnosed last year. Didnt grow in a year.I'm hoping mine srinks too.I am 55 and it doesnt really bother me for it to make a home in my head with the current choices available.Thanks again.Teri

Hi Teri...

That's the spirit, don't let a 1.8cm piece of excess tissue take charge of your destiny...YOU are the one that is in charge of IT! A fellow forumite once declared that she didn't mind the little bugger taking up residence just as long as it behaved itself!!...I really like that little quip and how true it is! Sound advice from your trusted consultant combined with self belief, regular MRI scans and a healthy diet / lifestyle are the key to a successful journey in the W & W Brigade.

Best Regards Teri

Derek