Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 82206 times)

sgerrard

Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2008, 08:00:10 pm »
Brian was up and walking again this morning and actually went through a bowl of cherrios and a few strawberries. He had some juice as well. He has one concern at this point that maybe you can all help me with. He is still very slow with his speech and he told me he felt "mentally retarded"... like he was not as smart as he was last week.

If he is eating cheerios and complaining, he is doing fine.  :D

Seriously, his awareness of slow speech is a good thing. I think the number K was referring is about 1 day of recovery for each hour under anesthesia, so he is entitled to several more days at least. AN's and anesthesia do have an impact on mental function; the good news is that almost all of it can be recovered.

I'm with Tamara - I bet once he is off the steroids and has a fresh cup of coffee in him, he'll be as good as new.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2008, 08:16:48 pm »
Thanks, Phyl & Cheryl R.  I'll definitely contact the ANA about symposium notes.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kimberly

« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2008, 08:17:50 pm »
Hi Jenni -

Thank you for the updates on Pooter.  We both had surgery on the same day, although my AN was about half the szie of his.  It sounds as if he is starting to feel better and I'm happy that he is on his way to recovery.  I am  having the vision problems myself but they gave me some visual fixation exercises to do with index cards( so far they are just annoying and make me sick to my stomach but they assure me that eventually this problem will go away).  I am not interested in reading or tv or too much of anything that involves focusing for any amount of time, this seems to be the norm for a lot of people.  It takes forever just to write this little paragraph but again all of this gets better in time. :)  It is wonderful that you are there to encourage him and be supportive to him as he recovers.  

He is very fortunate to have you and a caring family in his life :)   Please let him know that I am thinking about him and look foward to saying hi when is feels up to it.

Thank you ,

kimberly

Kaybo

« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2008, 09:17:23 pm »
Kimberly~
So great to hear from you - glad you are doing well.  We were all wondering about you!   :)

Steve~
Thanks for correcting me -- I always get things mixed up - especially if it involves numbers! LOL!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2008, 06:41:44 pm »
Hi Jenni

It's late on Tuesday and hadn't seen anything from you today on Brian's recovery.  Those cobwebs clearing out a bit?  Don't worry if they haven't.  I'm 5 months post and I just had a loopy-head walk to the store.

Tell Pooter we said hi.  And please let us know what's going on when you get a chance.

Thanks
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2008, 10:27:27 pm »
Maybe Jenni hasn't had time to post because they let Brian go home today.

Just speculation on my part - I have no confirmation of this - so don't anyone start any rumors  :D

It would be great though if he was released.  Maybe we'll be hearing from Brian himself soon.

Hope things are going well Jenni & Brian.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Boppie

« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2008, 11:50:31 pm »
Jenni and Brian,  My surgeon was Dr. Vrabec, also.  My tumor was the same size as Brian's.  So far I have read your post op posts and Brian is coming along at the same pace as mine, too!  The steroids made me a little wacky and my tongue was numb so I couldn't eat much at first.  My stay in ICU was much the same as Brian's, but without the nausea.  Maybe they have a check list achievement scale for AN patients there at Methodist.   :D 

Brian is doing well, I think.  Day 4 is the turn around, as I remember.  Brian should keep up with the stool softeners at home, too!  Sorry... ;D

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2008, 11:55:02 pm »
Ok..so, the rumors of my demise are greatly exageratted. :D  I cant see very good, but can see well enough to read (and understand most of it) to thank you all very much for the well wishes.. The right side of my face is slower than I nornally like but its getting better.  it has taken me 15 minutes to type what normally takes about 5 seconds to type.  Thanks to you all for keeping Jenni company during all this.  I will be back to normal in no time.  For now, I will just blow in your general direction and hope i am right. ;)

i am home now but still not all there.

Thats all i can muster right now.  Jenni will be home with me for a few days and i am glad for that.  "See" you all again soon...

Brian  (hopefully my typing is better than my site about now)  :D
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Boppie

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2008, 12:07:51 am »
Okay Brian, keep up the eye lubricating drops.  Use the thicker drops at night if necessary. 
Stay out of the Houston winds for a while. 
Get the wrap around sun shades on. 

By day ten you'll be feeling soooo much smarter and cooler.  8)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2008, 05:36:01 am »
POOTER!!!!!!!!! Welcome to postie-hood! Great to hear from you!!!!!! Onward and upward to wellness... and pls give Jenni BIG hugglez! She did a great job keeping us updated!!!!!!!!

Congrats Brian!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2008, 06:18:15 am »
Brian~
GREAT to hear from YOU that you are home!  We'll be in Houston for a Dr. appointment/Memorial Day...MAYBE we can all get together??  I'd love to meet you & Jenni.
 :D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2008, 06:38:16 am »
Pooter,
  Congrats on being home.  If you're back on the computer 6 days after brain surgery, you're doing very well, even if it may not seem like it.  I hope you continue to recover quickly.  Enjoy the uninterupted naps, they're your brain's way of recharging after the hard work of compensation for hearing and balancing input changes.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

kimberly

« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2008, 07:24:13 am »
Hello Pooter!
Welcome home :)  Good to see you are back.  Glad to hear you are doing well. 

Kimberly

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2008, 08:11:31 am »
Oh, Brian - I was so thrilled to see your post!!!!  And, so glad you are home.  Lide everyone else has said, just be patient with yourself and give it time.  I am still taking two hour naps every day and sleeping long each night - the body needs rest.  I know you must be enjoying being home in your own bed, surrounded by family - that is the best medicine of all.

Hi Jenni - and thanks again so much for keeping us all posted.  

Be well,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

LADavid

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2008, 10:13:37 am »
Hey Postie
Welcome to this side.  Glad to hear you're at home.  Please thank Jenni for us -- she was great.  I know you feel like you've been nailed by Mike Tyson.  It does get better.  So get some rest and enjoy a brainbooger-free life.

Later
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments