Author Topic: Private Pilot, and AN  (Read 4943 times)

Cessna

Private Pilot, and AN
« on: August 28, 2006, 08:03:22 pm »
Is anyone a private pilot out there???....I am, and I am concerned about passing my fllight medical.......does anybody have any experience with this......??   thanks......in CA

1.8 cm tumor, recently diagnosed......

eyedocjim@gmail.co

Re: Private Pilot, and AN
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 08:14:41 pm »
dr brackmann at House has a photo of an F-16 fighter pilot back to flying after surgery

good luck

Survival Nate

• TravAddic
at age 21yo
AN 5.05cm removed Feb 2005
Gamma Knifed July 2005
at age 31yo
AN regrowth @ 1.5cm - 2014
Pituitary Gland tumor 2mm
https://www.travaddic.com/

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 07:35:32 am »
I think it all depends on how you do after surgery.  Everyone is different.  I wouldn't give up hope.  Where there is hope there is flying! 
I flew both balloons and small planes many years ago.  It got to be too expensive.  I did go up in a balloon at the lunar fest in Houston last weekend.  I may wait a while before I do that again anytime soon.  The sights were awesome but I had to sit on the floor for most of it because my balance issues were ten fold!  Good luck on flying though.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 10:29:45 am »

actually, for me the eye sight would be the biggest problem, not the balance issue .. if you need lots of heavy drops they can blur your vision .. and I did not drive a car for several months after my surgery ...

I'm not a pilot , but have been in a small beech craft single engine .. and would say it should not be a problem .. but depending on any dry eye, you might have to wait a few months or year for the dry eye to clear up... and if you have a big AN . your coordination of hands could be off ... but that will come back with practice !

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

shoegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 01:01:56 pm »
Good thread - have often wondered about this - Thanks!
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

cinnamon

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 05:49:34 pm »
Cesna,

I am six weeks post op and although I am wearing an eye patch for dry eye, my vision has improved since going to an occupational therapist. They have me do exercises which has really helped. A few weeks ago, I couldn't see down the road very well but I can now. My tumor was 2 cm. I think you can do it so be strong and don't lose hope. I think it is all about attitude. I am feeling like my old self much more than I realized. I just wish my eye would start blinking so I can take this patch off. Good luck to you!!!

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

MCE

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 10:18:27 am »
Cessna,

I have some good news for you.  I had a 2 cm AN removed from my left ear on 1/4/06.  I lost my hearing in the effected ear, but had no balance problems.  I had my second class medical back in my hand on 2/21/06.  I hold an Airline Transport Pilot certificate with a couple of jet type ratings so as you can imagine I needed to get my medical back.  Here's the stuff you need to know.  First, you will not qualify for any class of "standard issuance" medical as described in FAR 67  (medical standards and certification).  However, the fine print is in FAR 67.401.   You should be able to qualify for a special issuance medical.  The only difference is the amount of paperwork your AME (aviation medical examiner) will need to submit to the regional flight surgeon.  Your ability to excersize the priveledges of your certificate will not be affected.  If your AME is not familiar with Special Issuance medicals you may want to find one that is.    You may also want to contact your regional flight surgeon directly and find out exactly what he wants to see from your AN surgery (post op reports, MRI's etc..).  You can get that phone number from the local FAA FSDO.  Last, the FAA is overwhelmed by Special Issuance medical requests due to the new sport pilot requirements, I would advise starting the process early.  Make sure your AN doctor knows your going to need his post op reports sent to your AME.  I got lucky, my AME and my AN doctor worked in the same hospital so they could discuss my case.  Good luck!

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 07:20:32 pm »
It's always nice to see a question asked and someone be able to supply a helpful answer!  :-*