Author Topic: Put me on that Treatment Calendar Ya'll!!!!  (Read 3449 times)

lalehjg

Put me on that Treatment Calendar Ya'll!!!!
« on: March 05, 2010, 10:21:59 am »
 ;D

Hello all.

I would like to report that I FINALLY made a decision and made my appointment for CK treatment at Stanford with Drs. Chang and Soltys.  I will be treated the week of April 5-9, with the actual radiation taking place April 7, 8 and 9.  Good news is that Dr. Chang's assessment of my AN was at 10.5 mm x 4 mm, rather than the radiologist's initial assessment of 12 mm x 5 mm.  I'll take the lower numbers please.

I can't say how relieved I am to have finally moved past the conundrum I've been in since January when i was diagnosed.  I read every article I could get my hands on about microsurgery and radiation, GK, CK, surveys, consults, all over the place.  It's been a roller-coaster, not knowing exactly what I should be preparing myself for emotionally, surgery, radiation?  What type, how, where?    It is finally here:  some level of peace.  Thank God!

Importantly, I can say that I COULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS, AND I COULD NOT HAVE SURVIVED EMOTIONALLY, WITHOUT THE HELP OF MY WONDERFUL, SUPPORTIVE, COURAGEOUS, LOVING, FUNNY, RESPONSIVE, AVAILABLE, CARING fellow AN'ers here.  You all are amazing.  Your stories have touched me beyond belief and given me hope.  I cannot thnk you enough for your love and support, and importantly, for the amazing courage and sense of humor that you all have shown in the face of this diagnosis, from reading your blogs, to reading your posts, to receiving your personal messages.

I don't know how I will really feel some weeks, months after radiation, but at least I know now that Phase I is OVER.  Phase II, here I come!! :)

With much love.

Laleh
12 mm x 4 mm diagnosed 1/25/10
CK at Stanford 4/7-4/9/10 - Drs. Chang and Soltys
Measured 14 mm x 6 mm at time of treatment

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Put me on that Treatment Calendar Ya'll!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:46:34 am »
Laleh ~

Congratulations on your decision!  We all know how difficult it can be and I'm pleased to learn that you've finally found some peace with your decision.  Thanks too, for all the kind words regarding our members.

You're on the AN Treatment Calendar!  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d05/04/2010?authenticate=&display=M&style=B

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sunfish

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 12:57:24 pm »
Laleh, you and I are in the same boat (or frying pan?!).  I started firming up plans for my Cyberknife treatment yesterday, and will be starting the week of March 15 (dates not scheduled yet).  We're using Dr. Chang's protocol from Stanford, exactly.  I go for the setup scans, mask, etc. next Tuesday.  Unfortunately, they called back today to say that they will pretreat me with prednisone and benadryl for all the scans, due to previous, minor allergic reactions.  I should know on Tuesday what my treatment schedule will be.  So I can let you know how it goes!

I feel the same way - I've been so stressed out about what to do that I broke out in shingles!  So congratulations on getting your treatment plan together.  Of course, I think you've made a great choice.  Keep us posted on your progress!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 05:21:13 pm »
So glad you have a plan  - I know that in itself is such a relief!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 06:33:22 am »
Laleh,

Congratulations on making your treatment decision!!!  I found the decision-making process to be one of the most difficult things I have ever done, so I hope that you find some peace now that you have decided on a course of action.  Please keep us updated and I wish you the best of luck with your CK treatments. 

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 10:30:21 am »
Hi Laleh,

Welcome to the "I went to Stanford" sub-section of the "I had Cyberknife" division of the ANA forum.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

kathysjourney

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 07:38:33 am »
Congratulations to Sunfish and Laleh on your CK decisons!!  I wish you both the very, very best!! I sure do understand how hard this decision is to make, since I am living that now.  I agree that the people on these forums are amazing and generous with their experiences and total support. THANK YOU! I would never have imagined how much it would mean to be able to come here when I am feeling confused and down, and read about others in my own situation, then learn so much from those who have been through, or are still going through this. One thing I have learned for sure is that there IS life after treatment - GREAT life! You are ALL wonderful!

I have been following postings here for some time now as I am agonizing over my own decision for treatment. At this time, CK is in first place, and I feel I am very, very close to making the final decision. I'd better be close - it has taken me a long time already. I will let you all know soon, and I will be watching to hear news from you both!
Kathy
Diagnosed 12/08 Approx 1cm AN
Surgery 7/27/10 Retrosigmoid 6 1/2 Hrs, 1.2 x 1.6cm AN,  Dr. Selesnick-Weill Cornell, and Dr. Gutin-Sloan Kettering, NYC
No Facial Nerve Issues or Headaches; Tinnitus Remains; 30% Word Recognition on Post Surgical Hearing Test; Balance Stable. Feeling Very Well

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 11:35:25 am »
Congrats on making your treatment decision, Laleh.

Dr. Chang has a phenomenal reputation.  You're in good hands.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lalehjg

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 08:21:03 pm »
Thank you all again for your well wishes.

Sunfish:  I am praying for you as I pray for myself!  The best of luck to you.  Let us know how the treatment goes, and how you feel some time afterwards.  I will do the same.

Steve:  Your help was a key factor in my decision-making process, and I want to thank you for that.  After having read your posts and explored the links you had sent me (especially the very helpful one from Francesco), I was much more comfortable with the CK decision.

I will be in touch with everyone here.  I am apprehensive about what will happen after treatment, especially some months after.  Don't know what to expect in the long term, but this will be good lesson for me in cultivating patience, and in surrendering to the inherent insecurity that is part of life.  We will see.  ;)

12 mm x 4 mm diagnosed 1/25/10
CK at Stanford 4/7-4/9/10 - Drs. Chang and Soltys
Measured 14 mm x 6 mm at time of treatment