Author Topic: GK - Should one go for it or wait for more severe problems  (Read 2821 times)

tbodh

GK - Should one go for it or wait for more severe problems
« on: March 03, 2010, 12:55:12 am »
hi
My father has complete hearing loss in his right ear but has ZERO balance problems/other problems. Hes 67 years old.
Below is the excerpt from his MRI, post which the Doc had suggested GK. However, we are a bit sceptical on wether we should go for it now or later? Hes had hearing problems in one ear for 17 years, and the ear is dead now. Secondly, the tumor is still relatively small. Is it? + hes not having other issues? Do the benefits outweigh the risks?
MR IMAGING OF BRAIN (CONTRAST) REVEALS THE FOLLOWING SALIENT FINDINGS:
THERE IS A FOCAL LOBULATED LESION OF SIGNAL ALTERATION ENCOMPASSING THE CISTERNAL AND CANALICULAR SEGMENTS OF THE RIGHT VII/VIIITH NERVE COMPLEX AND TRANSENSION OF PORUS ACOUSTICUS CUMULATIVELY MEASURING APPROX 12.4X11.6X10.2 MM IN SIZE APPEARING ISO-HYPOINTENSE ON T1W AND ISO-HYPERINTENSE ON T2W IMAGES WITH INTENSE INHOMOGENOUS ENHANCEMENT ON POST-GAD IMAGES; RIGHT VESTIBULO-COCHLEAR (ACOUSTIC) SCHWANNOMA/NEUROMA.
ADVISED: CLINICAL CORRELATION.

reg

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: GK - Should one go for it or wait for more severe problems
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 07:04:55 am »
I'm not a doctor (not even close) but my vote is to go for it.

Why wait for symptoms to get worse?  Sometimes they are "irretrievable".

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 07:18:33 am »
Hmm...since we are voting now I would vote for a 'wait and watch' for 6 months and see if there is substantial growth. At 67 the possability of it not growing further is worth looking into. If there is no growth after, say 6 months you might continue to W & W. Of course, this approach leads to periodic MRIs to monitor the status of your dad's AN, but if you have GK you will have to have periodic MRIs anyway!

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:26:35 am »
Hi Reg and welcome.

I have to agree with Neal, although I am not a doctor. Based on the dimensions of the growth, it is deemed small to medium size... and there is talk that in older folks (my apologies to the older folks here), that, on occassion (but not always) tend to be slower growing.   If this is the "baseline" MRI, he could give it until the next MRI (6 mos?) to see if there is any enhanced growth... and in the timeframe to the next MRI, do all the homework you can to be armed and ready, just in case the next MRI does show any growth.

Just my 2 cents.... again, not a doc.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 01:29:50 pm »
Hi, Reg - and welcome to the NA Discussion Forums.

As previous posters have stated; your father's acoustic neuroma is relatively small.  Like them, I'm not a doctor - but as an AN patient and a man the same age as your father I would agree with their recommendation to pursue the observation route. This assumes that his symptoms do not substantially increase in that time.  Should the AN grow, it can then be radiated (via GammaKnife) but if it remains stable, no action will be necessary.  However, the annual or semi-annual MRI scans (as his doctor chooses) will still be necessary to monitor the AN. 

Remember, this is only an opinion from a non-physician and should not be construed as 'medical' advice.  Any decisions made by (or on behalf of) your father should be made with the input and consultation of a licensed medical doctor experienced in AN issues.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.