Author Topic: Debbi Bifulco Update  (Read 113644 times)

LADavid

Re: Debbi Bifulco Update
« Reply #240 on: May 20, 2008, 03:21:16 pm »
Debbi
Sorry to hear it.  I will reinterate what Jan said.  Please don't look at this as a step back.  Look at it as one more recovery hurdle.  On the bright side of things -- you have a doctor who responds to email!!!!  And I do think that was a great idea to forward a picture.  We need to make a procedural note of that for future posties.

Best wishes

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

wendysig

« Reply #241 on: May 20, 2008, 08:57:55 pm »
 Hi Debbi -

I just got in later than I expected tonight and what with alll the usual evening rush just finally had aa chance to finally check in on you.  I am so sorry you had to go back to the hospital, but I'm sure you'll be fine.  Your doc sounds great and I'm sure he'll take good care of you.  You can have all ten crossed fingers back (I  hope they bring you luck
I'll be thinking about you and you'll be in my prayers.  If you keep getting all these bumps along the way, you're going to need a huge ice pack to bring them down.

Wishing you and yoru family a good night and you in particular good luck in taking care of this thing.  Keep up the posiitive thinking.  I believe it helps!!!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

WAB

« Reply #242 on: May 21, 2008, 06:48:33 am »
Wilie back on the job....

As of 8:30am today, Debbi's doc was happy with what he's seeing to the extent surgery is not a given at this point!  We're keeping Debbi on the "surgical rotation" (OK, I watched ER once or twice) just in case we, sorry HE has to go in.  So, we're just sitting around in Deb's room until later today when we know for certain what the plan will be.

I only wish Debbi could have come up with a different plan.  This seems too extreme just to get a good cup of NYC Starbuckies....

WAB

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #243 on: May 21, 2008, 06:58:42 am »
Willie -

thanks for the update on Debbi.  We're all hoping that the doc doesn't have to stitch her back up, but if he does, I'm sure she'll come through it with the same positive attitude she always have. 

Wishing her the best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #244 on: May 21, 2008, 07:08:07 am »
Thanks Willie...I was just thinking about you guys!!  Tell Deb to drink some NYC Starbucks for me!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #245 on: May 21, 2008, 05:11:28 pm »
Hi Willie -

Some people will just do anything for a good cup of coffee!!  Glad to hear that surgery is not a must at this point.  I hope it stays this way and Debbi's problem resolves itself without any other interference.  It sounds like you are holding up well.  Your sense of humor may just rival hers.  Keep up the good spirits and tell Debbi we're all pulling for her.  Still have all my fingers and toes crossed for her!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #246 on: May 21, 2008, 06:04:35 pm »
Willie and Debbi give each other a hug from me. I am hoping that soon your news is very good.
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

WAB

« Reply #247 on: May 22, 2008, 06:05:51 am »
Hi All -

Debbi here posting from my hospital bed at NYU.  Dodged the surgery bullet yesterday - I seem to be responding well to the broad spectrum antibiotics they're givng me, so Dr. R decided NOT to open it up.  Instead, we are waiting for the cultures to come back (yeah, my future is hanging in a petrie dish) to determine the next step.  At that point, the infectious disease doc will be able to concoct just the right antibiotic "cocktail" for me.  Looks like I should be able to go home tomorrow, with any luck.  Whether I go home with an IV line or pills remains to be seem - but I don't care as long as it beats the infections into submission!

So, I am now wondering if my current hospital stay is going to rival my surgical stay in duration - wouldn't that be crazy?

Anyway, once again, I feel quite lucky to have dodged something more serious - it looks like they will be able to get rid of the infection without too much trouble.

Keep the good thoughts coming my way, though, okay?

Debbi - hangin' at the hospital...

Kaybo

« Reply #248 on: May 22, 2008, 06:21:09 am »
Debbi~
We cleaned up our room yesterday and seem to have some leftover IV's (that are still good) - we have Invanz and Vancamyacin (sp?) - I would ship it to you.  Also an IV pole and some nifty little mesh things that you put around the PICC wiggle tails so they don't flop around during the day...if you are interested!

No, really, I hope that you can control your issues with oral antibiotics.

Dave just told me about STephen Curtis Chapman's little girl - I've got to go Goggle it...heartbroken for them...
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #249 on: May 22, 2008, 06:32:31 am »
Glad to hear the meds seem to be doing the trick.  Hope you do get to go home tomorrow...and get to stay there!

Thoughts are still w/ you guys,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

wendysig

« Reply #250 on: May 22, 2008, 08:39:53 am »
Hi Debbi -

What fantastic news!!! I'm so happy for you!!!  Sure hope you get to go home tomorrow.  You all must be so revieved -- now keep up the good work.  The power of positive thinking (and some really good antibiotics) will give a nasty infection a good swift kick in the rear end every time.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #251 on: May 22, 2008, 08:50:38 am »
Debbi:

Thanks for the encouraging update! 

I'm so glad you don't need surgery and that you'll be home very soon.  I trust your positive attitude, sense of humor and determination to be well will help you enormously as you continue to recover.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Catflower

« Reply #252 on: May 22, 2008, 09:30:30 am »
Great news Debbi.  I'm so glad they caught in time and you didn't have to go back to surgery.  If you have to have a PICC line; it's nothing to worry about.  My biggest problem was trying to take a shower without getting the darn thing wet.  Hopefully, they oral antibiotics will kick butt for you.

Linda in WV

Kaybo

« Reply #253 on: May 22, 2008, 09:34:09 am »
Debbi~
You might already be, but make sure that you are taking acidolpholus...I am actually taking Florajen3 which is supposed to be even stronger.  Even with all of the meds, I haven't had too much trouble with my stomach.

Just a thought...

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

calimama

« Reply #254 on: May 22, 2008, 09:49:04 am »
Thinking of you Debbi... we are all handing in with you and the petri dish.

cocktail anyone?!

hang tough and keep us posted!

Trish

11 days til surgery!
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.