Author Topic: One month post-op update  (Read 2876 times)

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
One month post-op update
« on: May 29, 2012, 03:41:06 am »
Hello everyone,

It's now been just over one month since my surgery. Just thought I'd post an update. I'm happy to report that I'm doing really great now. I did end up back in the hospital for five days after I got home from LA. I had an issue with an electrolyte imbalance that was unrelated to my AN surgery. Once I received fluid therapy, I was sent home to recover. I took it very easy the first few weeks and gained a lot of strength back. I started walking each day and before I knew it, my distance was improving along with my stamina. After four weeks, I'm still dealing with headaches. I'm confident they will go away after my head completely heals. So I'm not too worried about that. 

Areas of significant improvement:

1. I have not had any issues with balance or dizziness. Dr. Friedman believes my balance nerve has been gone for some time. Two years ago, I had really bad vertigo symptoms, so he feels my body had already compensated for that loss. What a huge relief! 

2. Weight loss was an issue on my second trip to the hospital. I had lost over 20 lbs since my surgery, so that was a concern. Well on my last visit to my doc, I had gained just over 7 lbs. And I'm still gaining. I have my pre-op appetite back, so I'm feeling better each day. 

3. The swelling at the surgery site has really gone down. I'm still having headaches at and around the wound area, but I expect that considering the trauma there. 

4. Last week, I started driving my truck on short trips. I still travel with someone in my truck and I usually switch off if I get tired. I was kind of enjoying having my private driver. I figure that luxury is soon to end. 

5. There are no other neurological issues that I'm having at this point. I'm just so pleased with the surgery outcome. 

6. On my fourth week post-op celebration, I was able to take my Harley out for a nice ride without any problems at all. This was a huge milestone for me. And was always a concern of mine prior to my surgery. I really didn't know if I'd ever ride again. So I had a pretty big smile on my face all during my ride. 

Well, as I continue to heal and recover, I'll post my progress on the ANA. If anyone has any questions please send me a message. 

I hope this post offers some comfort and inspiration to some of you. 

Dave Cruz
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: One month post-op update
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:21:20 am »
Whew, Dave!  You had a wild ride with your post-op electrolyte issues .....  So glad, you are now safely and firmly on the road to your AN recovery.  And yes, the headaches should become less and farther between as you resume your normal activities.

Riding your Harley!!!  WOW!!!  Be careful now or you will quit getting any sympathy from this group ....... just kidding  ;D  That is marvelous that you are riding again already.

Take care and prayers continue.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lrobie

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:50:05 am »
Dave,

It's nice to hear that you are doing so well.  I can only hope that I will do the same.  I don't have a Harley, but I suppose I could try my son's battery operated mini-bike.  ;D  Keep it up!

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:28:05 am »
Hi, Dave ~

Congratulations on a successful surgery and what seems to be an outstanding recovery!  You're right, this kind of AN surgery/recovery account certainly offers both comfort and inspiration to those just diagnosed and contemplating AN surgery.  Thanks - and may your recovery continue at this rapid rate.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

millie

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:30:53 pm »
Congratulations! Millie

comfortzone

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 08:19:47 pm »
I hope this post offers some comfort and inspiration to some of you.

Dave Cruz

It sure does!
8 mm left side AN Retrosigmoid surgery with Dr Akagami at Vancouver General Hospital April 3, 2014 SSD