Author Topic: update on yosemitesam SHUNT?  (Read 2250 times)

yosemitesam

update on yosemitesam SHUNT?
« on: November 29, 2010, 07:58:28 pm »
I am now 6 weeks out of the hospital for a csf leak repair and now I have swelling at my incision. Went into the docs office today
and he said its brain fluid and I will probably need a shunt. Has anyone had one and were there any complications associated?

Had my shunt surgery Monday Dec 6th, the surgery only lasted about an hour and stayed in the hosp. 1 day. I have had lots of headaches since surgery but they are getting better.Hope this is it for me as I have had a total of 5 surgeries.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:28:25 pm by yosemitesam »
3 surgery girl
multiple CSF leaks
Emory Hospital

jerseygirl

Re: update on yosemitesam SHUNT?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:15:18 pm »
Hi Sam,

I have LP (lumbar-peritoneal) shunt implanted in 1988 3 months after my first AN surgery. It is still there but it is deemed by doctors to be no longer functioning because of the time passed. The doctor said that he has never seen a shunt that lasts longer than 10 years. It is good news, of course, because this means I am no longer shunt-dependent. I only needed the shunt for a few months while I healed but nobody wanted to risk taking it out. This is a very easy procedure, no big deal. It is also the easiest kind of shunt to have. It is invisible, not painful or bothersome in any way.

Another shunt is VP (ventricular-peritoneal). It goes from head to the stomach. It is a little more difficult to implant. That's the limit of my knowledge about it, may be somebody who has it can chime in.

Either way, no matter which shunt your doctor recommends, it is a fairly uncomplicated procedure that leads to absolutely discomfort in the future. I would not worry about it. Good luck!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Mark241

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 10:57:11 pm »
Did you have your shunt placed yet? I go for mine on Jan 4, like you, I am still dealing with the csf drama.
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

vickee

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 12:29:19 am »
I had a LP shunt placed after having lumbar drains x 3 and a CSF leak repair.  Post shunt placement I've had no problems.  The shunt surgery only took an hour and I spent 2 days in the hospital.  I was back to work part time 2 weeks after shunt placement.   Its been a year since the shunt and I'm 99.9% back to normal.  Good luck on your recovery!  I know its a super scary place to be.  I was terrified, but it all turned out well.
4cm L AN
9/09 Translab  Dr. Backous ENT, Dr.  Farrokhi Neuro
10/09 CSF leak repair
11/09 LP shunt

Mark241

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 12:34:13 pm »
Thanks' Vickie, thats great new's, I am actually looking forward to the procedure, thanks' so much for your imput, it really does help.
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w