Author Topic: Muscle spasms in neck??  (Read 2309 times)

cin605

Muscle spasms in neck??
« on: May 04, 2009, 01:54:34 pm »
Will they ever stop??My whole head feels like it shakes....they originally thought i was having head tremors then said its muscle spasms
in neck...anyone know how to kiss them GOODBYE?????
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Muscle spasms in neck??
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 04:50:21 pm »
Have you tried massage therapy?  I had lots of muscle spasms post-op and took muscle relaxers, which really helped.  But massage therapy has helped more than I can say.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 06:58:21 pm »
Hi,

I also vote for massage but I used hand-held massagers and personal massagers to break the knots in the neck. One of them I consider the best is shiatsu massager where you actually lie down and it kneads your neck like a dough. It is quite painful at first if you have a lot of knots but later becomes oh so good. I have a huge scar that goes down halfway through the neck, so I have to deal with it for the rest of my life.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

mbf

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 07:48:00 pm »
I had surgery 3/08 and started with muscle spasms a couple months after.  It has taken me a year, but I have found that identifying my movement triggers and trying to lessen to movement when possible, i.e. bending forward/moving too fast; going for massage therapy where I alternate full body massage with Craniosacral therapy every other week; heat therapy; and working with my Dr. on various med combos have helped to calm the muscles and headache issues I have, have really helped.  Acupuncture was recommended to me, haven't given that a shot yet, but have heard good things about that too.

Hope you find some relief.

Mary Beth
12mm x 7mm left side AN; Suboccipital Surgery 3/08; Mass General - Dr. Martuza and Dr. McKenna; Headache and Muscle Spasms

JudyT

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:04:50 am »
Hi Cin!......I have them and knots clear down around my shoulder blades. Massage,deep tissue, works wonders BUT very costly. In the interim I use a muscle relaxer, pressure point (using the curved end of a cane to reach the areas) Hot towels ( wring out wet hand towel & put in microwave) relaxation stretches,neck rolls. Push shoulders down and head up....posture correction.....sit up really straight.....chest out,chin down. I try to stretch the muscles in what ever manner that makes the knotted ones pull. I can feel the tension down both sides of spine. Water excersise is good too.
Good luck with "homemade"remedies. The spasms are miserable and often cause us to over correct when we are walking etc......especially with balance issues.
Judy

dpetty

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 02:57:32 pm »
I had my AN removed in May 2001 as mine was an agressive type and I experienced horrible neck pain, did the whole range of treatements including direct botax injections into the neck mucles and back which helped for a short time but lifting weights and forcing those muscles to relearn is the only way but to this day I still have neck pains but it is liveable.Good luck