Author Topic: AN Book ...  (Read 21563 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: AN Book ...
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 11:38:21 am »
I'm not sure what my focus would be - other than to highlight my very positive outcome and talk about my recovery in general.  I could also explain how I came to choose surgery over radiation and how in my case it was a good thing since my AN grew rapidly. 

I would definitely address SSD and my thoughts on it and why it led me to pursue the BAHA.

In addition, I'd also talk about how the AN affected my life and how having one has changed the way I look at things.  There would be mention of the ANA and this forum.  And I'd also definitely incorporate humor, because as Deb said, it's helped me through my AN journey.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 11:40:02 am »
I definitely go for the HUMOR!!!!    ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 11:42:11 am »
Hey, here's a book title - "Everything you want to know about ANs, but are afraid to ask"  ;D
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 12:05:39 pm »
Jan, I think that's a great title!

Scott, I'd offer to write a chapter, but I was fairly "textbook", so maybe if someone needs a good bedtime story, mine would work!   :D  The book is a fantastic idea!

So, here's my latest bright idea.... Scott, you hurry up and publish that book, we can have you and LADavid on Oprah as guests, we can be in the audience and Oprah can give us all a free copy of the book!  And maybe she'll throw in a new car too!

Our garage surgery is on hold this week until after the neighborhood garage sale this weekend.  I needed to make space for a waiting/recovery room, so I'm getting rid of some junk!  I hear K's husband is pretty good at IV's though - he may be able to hold down the fort for a few days! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

LADavid

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 12:12:49 pm »
Scottie
I, like you, was taking a swing at writing a book about my AN.  I actually somewhat wrote the story in a one of the threads on here.  But here's where I ran into problems.  I could only address my experience from a Translab.  I think in order to make the book universal, it needs to encompass all forms of treatments and all ages and backgrounds.  That way when a potential AN patient is seeking guidance, they can read about the full scope of an AN.  I like the Chicken Soup For the Soul idea.  We are all different with one thing in common.

As far as self-publishing, I've looked into options for publishing for other things I have written.  It is possible that Rodale Publishing may jump on this idea since they are leaders in Health and the concept is unique.  And there are other options like Lulu that don't require a cash outlay.  And at last resort, there is Publish America ( a lot of bad things to be said about it).

Count me in for a chapter -- and count me in for assistance in editing and publishing.  I can go either way -- profit or non-profit -- profit since I haven't been able to work with facial palsy; non-profit -- I need writing credits.

Excellent idea.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

LADavid

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 12:21:34 pm »
Hey Lori

Just saw your post on the Oprah Show.  LOL.  Actually not a bad idea.  I don't know about Scott, but I have to get rid of this synkinesis first.

As I said in the previous post -- this is a very good idea.  There are 3 - 4000 new AN's discovered annually in the US.  Which means there are at least that many questions that need to be answered and decisions to be made.  This works as a text book.  It also works from a human interest standpoint.

One other thing about publishing -- this project could find support and assistance from ANA.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

Kaybo

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 12:53:30 pm »
Now wait a minute...I think I should go ON Oprah -- I have a paralyzed face & am not afraid to show it to the world -- they need to see what we are really dealing with here!!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 01:08:12 pm »
I'm excited about the positive response from everyone. I think this is do-able and I'm willing to coordinate. It sounds like LADavid has some knowledge of the process which we'd definitley take advantage of. I'll give Oprah a call and see if she wants to have us   :)    I agree that each chapter should be a unique experience and not just 12 chapters of people who had textbook translab surgeries, ot 12 watch & waiters.  Lori, I do think there is some value in writing about a "textbook" surgery though. It's important for people to know how it's really suppose to go. One of my surgeries was textbook, and it was a lot different than the other one, so if you're interested, I'd love to include you.

Jan, I think SSD and BAHA is a great angle to really get into in your chapter.

Debbie, I think your angle could be fascinating in that you can really log your thoughts prior to surgery. Many of us have to draw on what we can remember. I sure your thoughts/writing could me much more vivd.

LADavid

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 01:13:24 pm »
Kay
You do have a point.  It's not my face that is an issue though -- it's that I can't speak with the synkinesis -- at least speaking that is understandable.

But I do think you have the most compelling story and the greatest achievement over adversity.  Your message would be the one to hear.

BTW, does the IV seem to be working?  And how is the healing?

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 01:45:12 pm »
I can probably use some of the bits and pieces from my blog (minus some of the totally silly stuff of course).  Which reminds me that I should do a little blogging today...

Debbi - jittery in NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lori67

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 01:57:28 pm »
Well, alright, Scott - since you've twisted my arm - I guess I could write a chapter... I think I've only had about 5 minutes of my 15 minutes of fame , so I need to do something else to fill up the rest of my time slot anyway!  :D

Ok, David, we'll have Oprah seat you strategically on the set so that your good side faces the audience - we have a year to work on your lines - you'll sound good by then!

K - I think all your bruises will be gone by then... we may need to hit you over the head with something heavy just for effect.  You'll have to take one for the team.   :P

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 03:20:47 pm »
Jan, I think that's a great title!

Lori

Actually I kind of "stole" it  ::)

When I was reading posts earlier today the title of a book my mother had when I was a child popped into my head.  I have no idea why  ???

The title of the book was something like "Everything You Want to Know About Sex*" and at the bottom of the cover in small print was "* but were afraid to ask".  I can picture the cover of the book - it was yellow - but for the life of me I can't remember the author's name.  He was some kind of sex "expert".

My mother used to have this book "hidden" in her nightstand next to her bed but my siblings and I would regularly borrow it and read parts LOL  Now, keep in mind that I was a child at the time and I'm currently 46, so this was WAY before Dr. Ruth, Howard Stern, MTV, and yes, folks, even Oprah.  I don't think my mother ever did find out that we were reading her book - and I certainly don't plan on telling her now  ;D

Jan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 03:22:19 pm »
Oh -  forgot to say - there's NO way I'm clocking K with a heavy object - team or no team!

Jan

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 05:12:48 pm »
Count me in too... Mine could be about the decision making process...and my surgery if need be.
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kaybo

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 06:06:26 pm »
Thanks Jan!! You are a ture friend...I'm beginning to wonder about that other AN girl...I think she is jealous that we are moving in on the garage business!! 
 ;D     ;D      ;D     ;D     ;D

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!