Author Topic: Darin in Postieland! (in a few short hours, technically)  (Read 14192 times)

Darin

• The Running Tumor
Surgeon Update #3
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 04:12:00 pm »
Good News!

They are now putting everything back together. They have finished removing the tumor. The surgeon said they probably got 99% of the Tumor! Also, they said so far it appears that the facial nerve is still responding normally. It was hard to hear the part about the facial nerve, so I will try to get better info for the next update. At 8:00pm Darin will be moved to Intensive Care and someone will be able to go and see him.

Thank you all for your prayers. We will keep posting updates as we hear more news!

-Andy
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

Lilan

Re: Darin in Postieland! (in a few short hours, technically)
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 04:13:51 pm »
Whew! Great news. So happy for him that this part will soon be behind him.
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Darin

• The Running Tumor
Intensive Care Nurse Update #1
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 06:25:24 pm »
Darin is currently in intensive care and awake off and on. The nurse said he is doing very well, he is really tired. His right cheek has some weekness, but this will most likely go away over time. The Surgeon explained that in stretching the facial nerve to the side, it will weeken it for a while. However, this type of stress on the nerve will completely go away in time.

We haven't seen Darin yet, we will go into his room in about 10 minutes. We can all go in at first, but then over the next day or two there will be a limit to how many people can be in there and for how long. We will get those instructions later.

The nurse said Darin is very glad to have the surgery be done. He should have a headache for a few days, and it may be pretty bad. He will be on anti-vertigo meds. At first, he will always feel dizzy. After time, he will be fine if he isn't moving his head, but when he moves his head the vertigo will return. Over time this should completely go away.

More later. :D
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 06:28:32 pm »
sorry, in the sentence "he should have some weekness in his cheek" it should read "weakness."
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009

cin605

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 06:38:32 pm »
Gald to hear Darin is a postie & doing well. :)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 06:41:01 pm »
sending wellness wishes to Darin for a speedy recovery! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Darin

• The Running Tumor
ICU REcovery Update #1
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 07:11:02 pm »
I just went in and saw Darin. For having been through and 8 and 1/2 hours surgery, as well as prep before the operation, and the nervousness of knowing what is coming the nights and days before, he really looks good. He seems like a human version of one of those power strips you plug a bunch of computer cords into. He has tubes in his nose, and his hand, a few in some other places as well. He has monitors that are displaying his vital signs, with cords tangling this way and that, like a web on his torso. A very large flat panel monitor is mounted on the wall in the corner of the room like a guardian or perhaps a watchman, giving us Darin's conditions. It tells his vital signs like his pulse and blood pressure. He has a large devise setting on his chest with a few buttons on it. Perhaps for morphine or maybe to communicate with the nurses. His bandage goes across his forehead like the headbands you see on an old martial arts film, but it sets high on his forehead, even going a ways towards the top of his head.

The lighting is low and the sounds are close to silent, save for the constant quiet beeping and chiming of the equipment keeping him monitored.

What was unexpected? How his face looked. The doctor explained there would be some weakness on one side. I thought that would look droopy. The nurse prepped us before we went in saying that he looks rough, having had a very long day. I expecting him to look . . well . . much worse. Surprisingly, other than some facial puffiness, which isn't even that puffy, he looks very good.

He is a fighter, this much is true. As well as he looks, he should be on the road to a speedy recovery. The nurse who came to talk with us while we were in his room said that they have given him many differing drugs and medications, a veritable toddy of comfort, if it could be called comfortable. There are drugs to keep him from being dizzy, and drugs to keep the pain down. Then there are the anti- nausea drugs that keep him from throwing up. All in all, this looks promising and positive so far.

More as time allows. I know Darin appreciates all of you and the support you give him. Thanks for your prayers on his behalf.
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 07:46:25 pm »
Andy .....

So glad you were able to see Darin and know that he is going to be OK.  From your great description of his appearance, tubes, machines, meds, etc. ...... it all sounds very typical.  In case no one has mentioned it, remember F3D (first three days) do not count.  He will most likely feel rather lousy and doped up but on that 3rd day, barring no complications, he should suddenly feel like a human being again.

Thanks again for keeping us posted ..... please continue as you are able.

My prayers continue for a speedy, uncomplicated recovery!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sgerrard

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 09:08:51 pm »
Excellent, and thanks for taking the time to update us on him. It sounds like he will do fine. Best wishes, and take care.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Joe B

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 06:58:08 am »
Glad to hear that everything went so well with Darin. 99% tumor removal sounds like a great success. And yes, everything that you are describing does sound typical, and familiar, as my surgery was just 4 weeks ago today. We will keep Darin in our prayers and keep the posts coming.

Joe
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 07:10:09 am »
It's wonderful to see a sense of humor during such a critical time.  You're there for him during this long surgery and must be nervous as hell, but you managed to make me smile.  By now it's all over and I'll add to the prayers that everything has gone well and recovery is rapid.
Sharon

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 08:29:11 am »
Thanks for keeping us posted on Darin.
We are so happy to hear all went well and welcome our new "postie" to "postieland"!
Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Scarlett & Rich
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

Darin

• The Running Tumor
The Morning After Update
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 08:59:14 am »
Darin made it through the night with no real problems. He puked 3 times, but that seems like its either par for the course, or on the low end of the game. His face is puffier today, actually all of him is. His fingers are swollen as well as his toes. His face is more droopy on the side of the surgery. When he smiled only one side went up (I am told, I wasn't there). However, the surgeon said that the facial nerve was stretched a lot during surgery so this is normal and should go away completely with time.

Some funny stories .. .

Everytime someone walks by his bed and he opens his eyes and sees them, he waves. Even if its the same person from a minute ago!

He was stretching his arm over his head, then he rubbed his eyes.  But then he stretched his hand all the way over to the opening of his ear canal and started rubbing his finger and thumb together. Now he did this but he never touched his ear, he stay about 1 inch from his ear. Then he did this to the other ear, which has a lump of gauze on it. Then he repeated this process for both ears and fell back asleep. After this, we realized he must have thought he was cleaning out his ears!

Nothing like those drugs they give you in the hospital!

The room is darker today, the shades are drawn and all is kept as quiet as possible so that he can sleep. His mother just finally went home this morning to get a little rest. She didn't leave his side all night. A new shift of nurses have arrived. His new nurse is fine, and he does a good job, but he is not as kind and nice as the last guy. Darin goes in and out of consciousness regularly. We ask him if he is comfortable or in pain, he says he isn't, which is great. However, he has the leg things on that keep blood clots from forming. Though he is almost completely out of it, he constantly explains how they don't feel good because he is very constricted with them on, like he can never stretch enough to get comfortable.
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009

Darin

• The Running Tumor
Terminology Question
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 09:16:45 am »
Ok, I need some help out there in the ANA community. I saw that this whole thread was called "Darin in Postie-land." I figured that meant, "Oh, Darin is going to be posting alot of updates . . hence . . Posting-Land." However, I am picking up on the lingo and I think maybe it has a different meaning than I thought.

What exactly is "Postie-land"?

Thanks!
Andy
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009

cin605

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2009, 10:18:11 am »
Its all good we love updates.
As far as ruubing his fingers out side his ears this is how "we" test our hearing in each ear the neaurologist as well as Ear nose throat guys do this every time they come to check on you in hospital...at least they did me....I can hear the noise you fingers make rubbing together in my left side but on side AN was removed i do no t hear when you rub your fingers together. ;D too funny too watch for some one that doesn't have aclue what your doin i'm sure.
Please keep posting....think of every post as alearning experience!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old